CV Senior Year | The Boneyard

CV Senior Year

Reaction Score
Since CV came aboard we haven’t had a true leader demonstrate a team first mentality. Gone are the leaders of the CV’s past. Respectfully, Jalen Adams, Terry Larrier, Rodney Purvis, Amira Brimah, and Kentan Facey have marked their names in the books as being a member of the UConn Husky family. Thank you for your services, wish you all the best.

Every time I watch CV play he has demonstrated heart, leadership and played with fire. You can see it throughout his career. When he speaks in his interviews he always tells it like it is and doesn’t sugar coat it like many of his predecessors. While he leaves UConn behind him I think us fans are going to give him the love he deserves on an emotional senior night where he will stand in front of 10k+ along side Temi. Virtually our lone senior, in the last stint of the American, has done more than enough in his career during what most would call “the dark times” of UConn basketball.

Coming in with a stellar class that was beaten down with injuries or moved on into the transfer portal. He stayed. A 3 star prospect coming out of high school that decommitted from UNLV and chose UConn. He will help lay the foundation and dig us out of the grave along side Al and Josh. Take no prisoners, Mr. Vital. Basketball seasons fly by. Your career flies by. And senior night will be here before you know it. Cement your career as a UConn Husky and do what ever you need to do to leave the American with a Conference Championship and take UConn to the dance one more time. Show us the junk yard dog you are.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Man, does time fly. I remember Ollie throwing him to the wolves when the injuries piled on. I thought he handled it well. Sure, freshman mistakes. He took his role seriously. Honestly, mistakes and all, I liked the kid from the start.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Man, does time fly. I remember Ollie throwing him to the wolves when the injuries piled on. I thought he handled it well. Sure, freshman mistakes. He took his role seriously. Honestly, mistakes and all, I liked the kid from the start.
He hit a couple of big free throws against Cuse in his freshman year. Always liked him after that.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
He hit a couple of big free throws against Cuse in his freshman year. Always liked him after that.

Good call. Boatright, after he served his suspension, did the same against FSU in his first game in a Husky uniform. He was fouled while shooting a 3 with seven seconds left and made all three to send it to OT. The good guys won.

Reaction Score
Good kid, hardworking and tough as nails. Competed relentlessly for 3 years and expect the same his senior year and he deserves to go out a "winner" somehow. He has improved in almost every area he needed to all 3 years thus far give him credit for that.

Hope he has a great senior year and goes out with a bang!

Reaction Score
every year, people on this board (self included) try to write him out of the starting lineup, and every year he proves himself completely indispensable. can't wait to see what he does this year.

Yes. Bouknight for example is more talented in almost every way, longer and more athletic, but there is no way he will be close to the defender Vital is, especially early.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. Bouknight for example is more talented in almost every way, longer and more athletic, but there is no way he will be close to the defender Vital is, especially early.

I don't think Vital is that good a defender really, aside from demonstrating maximum effort. But I am hoping for a big year from him. I also think his high pressure defensive style will work better once we are playing Hurley's preferred style of defense and with shot blockers behind him.

Reaction Score
I always feel for Vital because he joined during probably the worst four years of UConn basketball in the last 20 +, but I respect the hell out of him for staying and embracing a coaching change and trying to be the best leader he can be. I really think him and Hurley are on the same page this year, and we will really see him shine.

Reaction Score
I always feel for Vital because he joined during probably the worst four years of UConn basketball in the last 20 +, but I respect the hell out of him for staying and embracing a coaching change and trying to be the best leader he can be. I really think him and Hurley are on the same page this year, and we will really see him shine.

Agreed. I think he’s well respected from everyone. The only time when anyone questioned his decision making was when he celebrated down 20 after a made 3 or when he Tested NBA waters. I strongly believe both those things were being brushed off onto him from other players like Larrier and Adams. He’s come into his own in terms of his maturity and on court ability.

pj

Reaction Score

It worked out well for him, he'll be UConn's all time leading 3 point shooter, and that wouldn't have happened if he'd had more talent around him.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
It worked out well for him, he'll be UConn's all time leading 3 point shooter, and that wouldn't have happened if he'd had more talent around him.
I would imagine he'd prefer to play during a time where UConn actually had a winning record

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I did not know this, thats crazy. In terms of percentage or most made threes?

pj

Reaction Score
I did not know this, thats crazy. In terms of percentage or most made threes?

Most made threes. Helps that Ben, Ray, and Rip, the three leaders in 3 pt FG per game, played only three years. Ray (44.8%) and Ben (42.3%) had the highest 3 pt shooting percentage.

In retrospect, it seems a little crazy that Ray had such a high shooting percentage, but only ranks sixth in 3 point shooting attempts. I wonder if JC wishes he had the opportunity to coach that team back, so he could get more 3 point attempts for Ray? Ray was under-utilized.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kid always gives 110%. His defense is under rated. Not Moore level but one of the better defensive rebounding guards we’ve had. Freshmen year he would leave his player and got burned frequently with that player making threes. Fixed it sophomore year.

If things had been different CV would be considered one of our best six man players.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would imagine he'd prefer to play during a time where UConn actually had a winning record
That's the rub. Is he actually seeing much court time on those teams?

Reaction Score
CV plays hard and with emotion. But he also makes numerous bad decisions on the court. If JC was still the coach, he would be jerking CV off the court every few minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't think Vital is that good a defender really, aside from demonstrating maximum effort. But I am hoping for a big year from him. I also think his high pressure defensive style will work better once we are playing Hurley's preferred style of defense and with shot blockers behind him.
Vital improved almost as much as Carlton did last season. Way more efficient. If Akok earns 20-25 minutes of PT we'd have 2 shotblockers on the court. It would definitely allow our guards to gamble more having 2 erasers standing in front of the basket. I think Vital and Alterique can lead us to the tourney, assuming Akok is solid and Alterique stays healthy.

Reaction Score
Most made threes. Helps that Ben, Ray, and Rip, the three leaders in 3 pt FG per game, played only three years. Ray (44.8%) and Ben (42.3%) had the highest 3 pt shooting percentage.

In retrospect, it seems a little crazy that Ray had such a high shooting percentage, but only ranks sixth in 3 point shooting attempts. I wonder if JC wishes he had the opportunity to coach that team back, so he could get more 3 point attempts for Ray? Ray was under-utilized.

Just a different era of play style. If you put a 20 year old Ray in the NBA right now, he's a better Klay Thompson for the next decade IMO.

Reaction Score
Just a different era of play style. If you put a 20 year old Ray in the NBA right now, he's a better Klay Thompson for the next decade IMO.
In two seasons Curry took just about as many threes as Larry Bird took in his entire career and Klay's dad Mychal never took a three in his entire career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom