Cuse to leave BE in 2013 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cuse to leave BE in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Look, the ACC is in a better position right now than the Big East. To argue against that is not being honest. But let's not make them out to be the SEC, shall we? And whether you believe it or not, On. Field. Results. DO. MATTER! Winning OOC's, especially against the ACC, is priority number 1 for the football teams in the Big East. A good tv contract with a partner that is willing to help kill this "Power 5" bull$#it (and it really is bull$#it, by the way) and good on-the-field results are what will change the story for the Big East. Nothing else will do.

How do you resolve the first part with the second part? If on-field results mattered, then why is the Big East in this position? It's done very well on the field, and a mile better than the ACC. Yet it's clearly worse off. Teams are flocking to join the ACC and the Big 12 (which is largely nothing in hoops), but not a league that's centered around the largest city in America. Why? Why do you think nobody wants to be here except Memphis and UCF? It's because of poor leadership, small fanbases, small TV ratings and small histories.

zls44

Reaction Score
Boise St football > Indiana football, Minnesota football, Illinois fooball, Arizona State football, North Carolina football etc. etc.

Minnesota, North Carolina and Illinois just completed/are completing massive stadium expansions that make Boise State look like a speck. They all have much, much larger fanbases than Boise State, even though BSU would beat any of them by 60. They have more influence. They're also actual universities, unlike the Xerox Diploma Mill known as Boise State "University".

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How do you resolve the first part with the second part? If on-field results mattered, then why is the Big East in this position? It's done very well on the field, and a mile better than the ACC. Yet it's clearly worse off. Teams are flocking to join the ACC and the Big 12 (which is largely nothing in hoops), but not a league that's centered around the largest city in America. Why? Why do you think nobody wants to be here except Memphis and UCF? It's because of poor leadership, small fanbases, small TV ratings and small histories.

1) I resolve the first part with the second part simply with the loss of WVU. If WVU stayed, then the Big East would not be suffering this fate; plain and simple. I believe that the nation feels (and perhaps rightfully so) that WVU was the only Big East team that proved year in and year out that they could play with anyone in the nation. That's why it was critical in my opinion that Boise stay on board, because they are the only other team in the Big East that has shown that.

2) It is not because of "poor leadership, small fanbases, small tv ratings, and small histories" that nobody wants to be here. IT'S ABOUT MONEY!!! If you honestly think that it's not, you are kidding yourself! Each team that has left us has left because they stand to make double-digit millions more a year than we do (unless the new contract turns out to be better than they expect, and they weren't going to wait around to find out). That's why. Not any of the silly reasons that you named. Why else would 'Cuse leave a conference that they have become synonymous with? Believe me; many of their fans are conflicted about not being in the Big East anymore. They just understand the financial reality.

zls44

Reaction Score
2) It is not because of "poor leadership, small fanbases, small tv ratings, and small histories" that nobody wants to be here. IT'S ABOUT MONEY!!! If you honestly think that it's not, you are kidding yourself! Each team that has left us has left because they stand to make double-digit millions more a year than we do (unless the new contract turns out to be better than they expect, and they weren't going to wait around to find out). That's why. Not any of the silly reasons that you named. Why else would 'Cuse leave a conference that they have become synonymous with? Believe me; many of their fans are conflicted about not being in the Big East anymore. They just understand the financial reality.

Yeah, but why did everyone think the Big East was going to get less money? Even with the best negociating position possible (last major conference up, multiple bidders, ratings going up for live events, etc.)? Why, in spite of that, did teams STILL want to leave?Remember that WVU didn't leave until AFTER Pitt and SU left.

It's because of prestige. Fair or not, there's more Je Ne Sais Quai about being in the ACC or the Big 12. I know, a French term, try and contemplate the thought.

Reaction Score
ucf will have a better football team this year than anyone in the acc. the only possible better team would be fsu if they put it together and we have heard that for years now. usf will also be good if daniels explodes. u can mark me down on the ucf thing. they will pack 40k ever game this year and crash the bcs.

if on field results dont matter than how did bsu blow up the past 10 years?

Is this the same UCF that has never beat a BCS team with a winning record? and only about 2-3 BCS teams with losing records in the history of their program? Just checking.

I'll put my money on the ACC.

BTW, you might want to read CTO's post tonight...

zls44

Reaction Score

I'll quote, because if I link directly to it, Lord knows what will start.

I heard this from a friend of mine who is very well connected at Notre Dame. Therefore, it may have at least an iota of truth in it.
ND has a standing offer from the ACC, and ND has been very interested in it. However, the decision to have a four-team NC playoff .. without regard to conference affiliation.... has slowed the process down.
ND really likes the ACC's non-revenue sports, especially its women sports. They consider them to be ND's best conference fit.
The Big 10 is out of the picture. They were left standing at the altar twice ... when ND walked away just before the ceremony reached the "I do" stage. It is doubtful that the Big 10 will risk that kind of embarrassment a third time.
If/when ND joins the ACC UConn will be the team that comes in with them.
As I said.... all of the above is from a friend of mine who is very close to Notre Dame. I have no independent way to verify any of it.

UConn and ND are very close partners at the administrative level. Ignoring the gulf in football accomplishments (this is a fine time to mention, once again, that the University of Connecticut is undefeated against the University of Notre Dame in the intercollegiate sport of Football), they are peer institutions in almost every other sport.

ND going to the Big 10 would be a huge problem for UConn joining Hockey East. If anyone wants me to draw out why, I will, but I'll save that one.

CTO is as well-placed, high up of a source as you will find. Anywhere. Ever. Don't just ask me, ask Mark, ask Tom, ask Fishy. She knows what the heck she's talking about.

Reaction Score
Cuse / USC tickets - hot or not

Just got an email to buyer tickets - $161 seats mid-field 24th row

This will look a like an ACC championsip game.
I can get you a better deal...PM me and I'll tell you how...you have to root for Cuse or at least stay quiet though....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah, but why did everyone think the Big East was going to get less money? Even with the best negociating position possible (last major conference up, multiple bidders, ratings going up for live events, etc.)? Why, in spite of that, did teams STILL want to leave?Remember that WVU didn't leave until AFTER Pitt and SU left.

It's because of prestige. Fair or not, there's more Je Ne Sais Quai about being in the ACC or the Big 12. I know, a French term, try and contemplate the thought.

If you think that Pitt, Cuse, and WVU left for #$king "je ne sais quoi" instead of the millions of dollars, then you are a clown. Plain and simple, and it won't be worth it for me to try to argue with that string of logic. And OF COURSE WVU left after Pitt and Cuse!!! That's why they knew they would make EVEN LESS MONEY THAN BEFORE PITT AND CUSE BOLTED!!! So did they really have a choice when the Big12 came knocking?? Was it $#king "je ne sais quoi" of playing against Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor that got them to go??? Really, dude. C'mon!

Reaction Score
I'll quote, because if I link directly to it, Lord knows what will start.

CTO is as well-placed, high up of a source as you will find. Anywhere. Ever. Don't just ask me, ask Mark, ask Tom, ask Fishy. She knows what the heck she's talking about.

True...just remember it is ND and nothing is ever straight forward. Heads in Piscataway would explode if this came true...LOL I'd love to see it.

Reaction Score
If you think that Pitt, Cuse, and WVU left for #$king "je ne sais quoi" instead of the millions of dollars, then you are a clown. Plain and simple, and it won't be worth it for me to try to argue with that string of logic. And OF COURSE WVU left after Pitt and Cuse!!! That's why they knew they would make EVEN LESS MONEY THAN BEFORE PITT AND CUSE BOLTED!!! So did they really have a choice when the Big12 came knocking?? Was it $#king "je ne sais quoi" of playing against Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor that got them to go??? Really, dude. C'mon!

It is both...(IMHO) Cuse would jump to the ACC even if BE money was exactly the same.

zls44

Reaction Score

If it's ONLY about money, why would Pitt and Syracuse leave to join a conference that was going to have a worse contract than the Big East?

I think it's 90% money. But that 10% can make people do strange things.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It is both...(IMHO) Cuse would jump to the ACC even if BE money was exactly the same.

That's absolutely not true, and you should know it. There are very few schools who felt like they were the embodiment of their conference like Syracuse did (and like UConn does, by the way). If the money was the same, there is no way in hell that Syracuse leaves. Pitt, I don't know. But Syracuse? No way in hell.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If it's ONLY about money, why would Pitt and Syracuse leave to join a conference that was going to have a worse contract than the Big East?

I think it's 90% money. But that 10% can make people do strange things.

How was the ACC to have a worse contract, especially after Pitt's Nordenberg led the charge to reject the initial ESPN bid???

Reaction Score
That's absolutely not true, and you should know it. There are very few schools who felt like they were the embodiment of their conference like Syracuse did (and like UConn does, by the way). If the money was the same, there is no way in hell that Syracuse leaves. Pitt, I don't know. But Syracuse? No way in hell.

Well you have not considered Cuse student and fan demographic trends then. It is more than just about sports.

zls44

Reaction Score
How was the ACC to have a worse contract, especially after Pitt's Nordenberg led the charge to reject the initial ESPN bid???

If they didn't expand, thereby staying locked into the original ESPN deal for peanuts, while the Big East ended up getting, at worst, the same initial offer they rejected when they went out to bid this September.

Pitt and Syracuse knew that if they stayed in the Big East, the ACC would have a worse TV deal than the Big East, who would either be an anchor property of a new national network, or making far more than they would on the exact same channel.

They still wanted to leave.

zls44

Reaction Score
If I told you I'd have to kill you, then kill myself for telling you.

Basically someone very close to all the decision makers. And I mean all the decision makers.

Reaction Score

I think Pitt and Cuse left for stability, which the BE doesn't have, we are at the mercy of other conferences, at least the Cuse and Pitt are safe as safe can be in the ACC. If Uconn was offered, we would have left too and everyone would be crying foul, can't blame em for leaving.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well you have not considered Cuse student and fan demographic trends then. It is more than just about sports.

I have considered their fan demographic plenty. My older brother is a diehard Syracuse fan and alum, and when he heard they were leaving the Big East, it was like someone shot his dog. I have seen fans on their message board say things like, "I know it was the right move, but..." I've seen their fans post stuff like that even on the Big East blog for ESPN with that dope Adelman at the helm. That fanbase took a lot of pride in being part of the Big East and going down to the Garden during the bball tourney time. A gigantic part of their identity is lost, and they know it...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Is this the same UCF that has never beat a BCS team with a winning record? and only about 2-3 BCS teams with losing records in the history of their program? Just checking.

I'll put my money on the ACC.

yes its the same ucf. i am very high on them this fall. anyway. thanks for the heads up about cto's post. many visitors and regulars here don't understand my position on the acc. but in short for u, if the acc adds nd and uconn and the publics in that league all stay and not leave for b12/sec then i am 100% fine with the acc. its the best for other sports and makes a conf on the east coast one of the eventual big 4. it would be great for uconn. my thing is i want to see uconn with other big publics, fsu, unc, uva, md fit that...but if some of those big publics leave and there are more privates then publics then im not a big fan, thats all.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If they didn't expand, thereby staying locked into the original ESPN deal for peanuts, while the Big East ended up getting, at worst, the same initial offer they rejected when they went out to bid this September.

Pitt and Syracuse knew that if they stayed in the Big East, the ACC would have a worse TV deal than the Big East, who would either be an anchor property of a new national network, or making far more than they would on the exact same channel.

They still wanted to leave.

Yet again, I am going to mention to you that it was Pitt's very own Mark Nordenberg who led the charge to turn down the contract (which would have been LESS than the ACC's), only to leave for the ACC and get the bigger contract (you can ask Gene DeFillippo who asked him to do it). The bottom line is that they knew they were going to make LESS money in the Big East, not more. Not even equal. Simple as that. And again, you should know that by now, since this has been posted, linked, and talked about for nearly 8 or 9 months now.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think Pitt and Cuse left for stability, which the BE doesn't have, we are at the mercy of other conferences, at least the Cuse and Pitt are safe as safe can be in the ACC. If Uconn was offered, we would have left too and everyone would be crying foul, can't blame em for leaving.
MONEY!!!!! MONEY, PEOPLE!!!! What stability problem did we have if Pitt and Cuse stay put, huh? What stability problem did the Big East have if Pitt's number 1 man didn't talk the Big East leadership out of a contract that would have landed them approx. 13 million per team? And yes, you are right; UConn probalby would have taken it too. And it would have been about......wait for it.....MONEY!!!!

Reaction Score
I have considered their fan demographic plenty. My older brother is a diehard Syracuse fan and alum, and when he heard they were leaving the Big East, it was like someone shot his dog. I have seen fans on their message board say things like, "I know it was the right move, but..." I've seen their fans post stuff like that even on the Big East blog for ESPN with that dope Adelman at the helm. That fanbase took a lot of pride in being part of the Big East and going down to the Garden during the bball tourney time. A gigantic part of their identity is lost, and they know it...

It doesn't seem to bother BCU, this wasn't about basketball, basketball was just collateral damage.

zls44

Reaction Score
Yet again, I am going to mention to you that it was Pitt's very own Mark Nordenberg who led the charge to turn down the contract (which would have been LESS than the ACC's), only to leave for the ACC and get the bigger contract (you can ask Gene DeFillippo who asked him to do it). The bottom line is that they knew they were going to make LESS money in the Big East, not more. Not even equal. Simple as that. And again, you should know that by now, since this has been posted, linked, and talked about for nearly 8 or 9 months now.

You never take the first offer. Everyone knows that, and everyone at the time agreed with that move, including me. Criticizing them for turning it down is moving the goalposts. The ACC never gets a bigger contract if Pitt stays. There is no bigger contract. It, literally, would not exist.

Why'd they want to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1