CUSA gets $14 million a year | The Boneyard

CUSA gets $14 million a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2011/01/conference_usa_inks_a_new_tele.html

Let's do some investigating:

Schools worth $14 million: East Carolina, Houston, Marshall, Memphis, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, UCF and UTEP.

Schools worth $20 million: UConn, Cincy, USF, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, UCF, Temple.

Quick math: UConn, Cincy, Temple, USF are worth $6 million more a year than SMiss, UTEP, UAB, Tulsa, Rice, Marshall.

UConn is worth $1.5m more than Marshall.

Reaction Score
And UMD will be getting 20 to 40 million a year....still don't understand how UConn can compete with that

Reaction Score
Our contract of $20 million isn't really all that bad depending on how the revenue is distributed.

Here's what I would like to see:

UConn: $16 million.
Cincinatti: $2 million.

The rest of the schools all split the remaining $2 million except for Temple who would only get $100,000 a year (I'm still mad at them for not being grateful enough when they were invited.).

The only problem with this revenue distribution model is that it might result in low morale for the schools who have to split the $2 million. But I think this problem can be overcome with sensitive negotiation. Susan needs to go into the meetings and tell the other schools how we need one school to be the beacon of hope for the Big East, how UConn can be the shining star for the rest of the conference, etc. So the way she'd tell it is that we'd actually be doing this more for them than us, etc.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-uconn and cincy are not a part of that nbc contract
-usf, temple and memphis will not sign a gor becuase they see a possible slot in the acc being open if things go a certain way with b10/sec adding teams
-ucf will not sign a gor unless usf is a lock for nbe(misses on open slot if there is one).

the nbc contract is actually a good one for the nbe who will go thru a name change to big eastern conf or something like that. it will get upped some more once cincy and uconn are officially gone and the acc is set. those 10 teams will sign a gor and be done for like 25-30mil.

the contract nbc put out was for 10 teams. if u dig a bit u will ralize that the nbe already has 11 teams in it(uconn, cincy, temple, ucf, usf, memphis, tul, ecu, smu, navy and uh). how does that makes sense? well there have been solid rumors and hints from the commish that they are adding atleast 1 more school. tulsa rumors have ben the biggest but umass, smiss, marsh and gast are all in play also. if u do the math adding 1 minus cincy and uconn, u can now see where things are going and why the contract is what it is. now u can also see why bsu/sdsu see the mwc as a better home besides travel/$ issues...

once cincy and uconn move and the acc slots are filled, then the nbe teams will sign that 10 team gor or add 2 more and gor. then that contract will bump up a bit more to 25-30mil. for 10 teams thats almost 3mil each and a better contract all things considering.

the question is who the b10 is adding. is it 1 or 2 acc schools. and when the sec strikes. the slots will be filled based off that for the acc staying at 14 or w/e...

one of the more popular thoughts is that the b10 is going to add 2. if its uva and uconn then the acc adds cincy and has its 14. if the sec adds 2 then the acc stays at 12. if the b10 takes 2 and so does the sec from the acc, they fill with cincy and uconn and stay at 12 or they can add 4 with memphis and temple. the only way usf gets play is if the sec adds fsu in its 2 adds which is not likely. usf knows this but is in its best case to wait and see. ucf becuase of this wont sign a gor until its cousin is on bord also. memphis thinks that it can lobby and get help from lville and cincy to beat out tmple for a slot if if its 1 slot and not 2 some how. that is the chess right now.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn and Cincy are abso-freakin-lutely part of that contract, Dan!

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
the contract nbc put out was for 10 teams. if u dig a bit u will ralize that the nbe already has 11 teams in it(uconn, cincy, temple, ucf, usf, memphis, tul, ecu, smu, navy and uh). how does that makes sense?

Because Navy isn't coming aboard for this putrid pay-off. So take out Navy, and you get your 10 teams.

Reaction Score
I'm holding off judgement on all of this, until information of actual value is available.

It's pretty clear, that if in the current sports television market, that our university leadership has stewarded us into a position where we will be making less from sports broadcasting, than we were in the past - that our university leadership has failed in what they needed to accomplish with our sports programs.

It's entirely possible that NBC dropped an anchor on negotiations that incredibly low for the entire conference tier 1 and tier 2 rights.

It's also entirely possible that the sources of the information are drawing all kinds of incorrect conclusions about what's actually being discussed.

I'm going to wait, until it's all in ink, to judge.

THere are a few goals. #1 is for UCONN, to be making more money than they were in the past from sports broadcasting. #2. Is for UCONN to maintain as much control over our own media rights as possible. #3. Is to maximize exposure in prime time viewing slots. THerer are tradeoffs though. A major step back in revenue, is a huge problem can't have that, but I'd gladly trade TV money now, for prime time exposure and advertising.

You all think I'm nuts, but I'd be pleased with a situation, where UCONN is making more money in the past, as a whole, maintains as much control over our own rights and broadcasting as possible, is NOT tied into a long term contract, and is able to have our football games broadcast on national television in primetime viewing slots on Saturday afternoons and evenings, and advertised and promoted with Notre Dame football on college football saturdays week to week.

Big East basketball is no more.

Ideally, I'd like the conference to retain the rights to the Big East name, and then bury it. The entire thing needs to be rebranded, the Big EAst name is too tarnished in the ESPN driven sports media.

Reaction Score
-uconn and cincy are not a part of that nbc contract
-usf, temple and memphis will not sign a gor becuase they see a possible slot in the acc being open if things go a certain way with b10/sec adding teams
-ucf will not sign a gor unless usf is a lock for nbe(misses on open slot if there is one).

the nbc contract is actually a good one for the nbe who will go thru a name change to big eastern conf or something like that. it will get upped some more once cincy and uconn are officially gone and the acc is set. those 10 teams will sign a gor and be done for like 25-30mil.

the contract nbc put out was for 10 teams. if u dig a bit u will ralize that the nbe already has 11 teams in it(uconn, cincy, temple, ucf, usf, memphis, tul, ecu, smu, navy and uh). how does that makes sense? well there have been solid rumors and hints from the commish that they are adding atleast 1 more school. tulsa rumors have ben the biggest but umass, smiss, marsh and gast are all in play also. if u do the math adding 1 minus cincy and uconn, u can now see where things are going and why the contract is what it is. now u can also see why bsu/sdsu see the mwc as a better home besides travel/$ issues...

once cincy and uconn move and the acc slots are filled, then the nbe teams will sign that 10 team gor or add 2 more and gor. then that contract will bump up a bit more to 25-30mil. for 10 teams thats almost 3mil each and a better contract all things considering.

the question is who the b10 is adding. is it 1 or 2 acc schools. and when the sec strikes. the slots will be filled based off that for the acc staying at 14 or w/e...

one of the more popular thoughts is that the b10 is going to add 2. if its uva and uconn then the acc adds cincy and has its 14. if the sec adds 2 then the acc stays at 12. if the b10 takes 2 and so does the sec from the acc, they fill with cincy and uconn and stay at 12 or they can add 4 with memphis and temple. the only way usf gets play is if the sec adds fsu in its 2 adds which is not likely. usf knows this but is in its best case to wait and see. ucf becuase of this wont sign a gor until its cousin is on bord also. memphis thinks that it can lobby and get help from lville and cincy to beat out tmple for a slot if if its 1 slot and not 2 some how. that is the chess right now.
UConn and Cincy are abso-freakin-lutely part of that contract, Dan!

Do either of you have any verified information either way? I have not seen anything verifying that either is the case, but the numbers would make a lot more sense if UConn/Cincy were not included. Rutgers is a public school in the tri-state area that looses in everything, but they are worth $30 million, and UConn is a public school in the tri-state area that more or less wins in most sports, and we are worth $1.7m? Someone please map out for me how that makes sense. Our freaking SNY contract, Nike Contract, and IMG contract are all more individually. And the SNY contract has exceeded all expectations in terms of viewership by most accounts. The numbers just don't add up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can't place valuations on programs the way you kids are trying to - it doesn't work that way.

Rutgers, in the Big Ten, is 'worth' $30M. Rutgers, in the Big East that ESPN originally negotiated with, was worth $13.5. Maryland was worth $17M in the ACC, $30M in the Big Ten. Neither program has grown in actual appeal or intrinsic worth - the circumstances they're in dictated the change. It's the conference, not the program.

A year ago, UConn and Cincy were part of a conference that would pull $13.5M a program. We haven't dropped in value so precipitously - it's the conference, not the programs.

It is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

Reaction Score
You can't place valuations on programs the way you kids are trying to - it doesn't work that way.

Rutgers, in the Big Ten, is 'worth' $30M. Rutgers, in the Big East that ESPN originally negotiated with, was worth $13.5. Maryland was worth $17M in the ACC, $30M in the Big Ten. Neither program has grown in actual appeal or intrinsic worth - the circumstances they're in dictated the change. It's the conference, not the program.

A year ago, UConn and Cincy were part of a conference that would pull $13.5M a program. We haven't dropped in value so precipitously - it's the conference, not the programs.

You really going to try to approach this with logic and reason?

Honestly, some to the lunacy I have read on this board today is so ducking idiotic it bogles mind. My favorite was the dope who posted that my not signing Lagow the football program was at risk of a death spiral if the kid turns out to be a stud. And I appologize for calling the poster a dope, but com'on......

Reaction Score

I get that, and it makes sense to a certain degree. Especially in a league that has it's own network and cuts out the middle man, They are basically paying RU and UM for their location. At some point, the quality of the product will matter though, and that is where I think we would add value to the B1G. We offer a similar quality football product, similar quality academics (again, it's ridiculous that this matters), and MUCH better non-football sports. We also offer untapped TV sets. Time will tell if this is the case i guess.

Reaction Score

This is an important point.

It's cliche, but your conference is just like a neighborhood. UConn might have just as large and nice of a house as Rutgers does. However, in terms of conference neighborhoods, Rutgers moved its house to Beverly Hills while the UConn house is stuck in Compton. You can have the exact same materials with the same square footage and stainless steel appliances, but the Beverly Hills home would easily be worth 10 times as much (or more) than the Comptom home simply because of the location. Heck, even a small condo in Santa Monica (the Catholic 7) is going to worth more than the nicest and largest home in Compton. The Big Ten is unlocking the value of Rutgers, while the Big East is devaluing UConn by association. It doesn't matter how nice your own house is - if your neighborhood turns bad, then your home value is going to plummet no matter how much you invest in it.

Reaction Score

I assume that is why your posts on the boards aren't as good as they used to be?

Reaction Score
Yes, this is my whole point:

UConn is worth $1.5m more than the turkeys when it's surrounded by turkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom