Curtis Granderson | The Boneyard

Curtis Granderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now leads the Majors in HR, Runs and RBIs. Having a great year.

Reaction Score
Now leads the Majors in HR, Runs and RBIs. Having a great year.

Do you think he wins the MVP in the AL or does he get hurt by the sub-.290 batting average? I've thought all along that the award belonged to A-Gon, but it's hard to ignore Granderson's runs scored & RBI numbers as well as the home runs. I just hope they don't do something stupid and give it to Verlander. No way a pitcher should win that award.

Reaction Score
Do you think he wins the MVP in the AL or does he get hurt by the sub-.290 batting average? I've thought all along that the award belonged to A-Gon, but it's hard to ignore Granderson's runs scored & RBI numbers as well as the home runs. I just hope they don't do something stupid and give it to Verlander. No way a pitcher should win that award.

he also leads the league in triples and has a .595 slugging percentage. I don't know if he will win but he has a good shot. I hope they don't give it Verlander, he will get the Cy Young.

Reaction Score
Cy Young is for the best pitcher. MVP is the Most Valuable Player.

Detroit is .500 in non-Verlander starts and something like 21-7 when he's on the bump. They're 6 games up in the Central. You don't think Verlander is more valuable to his team than Granderson?

Reaction Score
I just think a pitcher should only get it when there is no huge year for any position player. Grandy has huge numbers and deserves the MVP. If verlander won like 30 with a sub 2 era then it's a no brained. Having said that I think both are deserving.

Reaction Score
Cy Young is for the best pitcher. MVP is the Most Valuable Player.

Detroit is .500 in non-Verlander starts and something like 21-7 when he's on the bump. They're 6 games up in the Central. You don't think Verlander is more valuable to his team than Granderson?

No, I don't think anyone who plays in 32 games is more valuable than one who plays in 160 when he is having the year Granderson has for a center fielder. ARod has had a down year and has been hurt while Teixiera has not hit like he can. Granderson has been carrying the Yanks.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think anyone who plays in 32 games is more valuable than one who plays in 160 when he is having the year Granderson has for a center fielder. ARod has had a down year and has been hurt while Teixiera has not hit like he can. Granderson has been carrying the Yanks.

I agree. A pitcher, no matter how important they are to their team, can only help win one or maybe two games a week. An everyday player has the opportunity to carry a team for a week or more all by themselves.

Reaction Score
Granted, Verlander has the second largest WAR in the AL and the third largest in MLB at 7.3. That shouldn't be disregarded.

Reaction Score
Granted, Verlander has the second largest WAR in the AL and the third largest in MLB at 7.3. That shouldn't be disregarded.

I agree Verlander is having a great season but when hitters are having great seasons too then pitchers shouldn't win the MVP unless they have an amazing season. That is why they have the Cy Young. Jared Weaver is having a similiar season to Verlander (With the Angels having an almost identical record as the Tigers) except for wins. Should he be in the MVP discussion, not even close.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They have the Cy Young because pitching is MORE important. So saying they shouldn't get an MVP in a year when they're the best player in the league and the most valuable (which Verlander is both) seems redundant. The only other player with an argument is Bautista, then maybe Granderson.

Reaction Score
If the Blue Jays were even close to sniffing the playoffs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would absolutely be Bautista.

Reaction Score

I think you're overlooking the fact that the guy who plays in 160 games has a LOT of mediocre games in there. And a guy like Verlander has propelled his team into first place.

Without Verlander = no playoffs
Without Granderson = still playoffs

zls44

Reaction Score
But Bautista is killing everyone in Win Probability Added. He's added more to his team's chances to win than any player in baseball. By a LOT. It's not his fault the Blue Jays around him stink.

Reaction Score
But Bautista is killing everyone in Win Probability Added. He's added more to his team's chances to win than any player in baseball. By a LOT. It's not his fault the Blue Jays around him stink.

I know. It's sad but the majority of people who vote for MVP take into account that your team has made it (or at least darned close) to the playoffs. The Blue Jays aren't even 3rd in the division. It truly sucks.

Reaction Score
I think you're overlooking the fact that the guy who plays in 160 games has a LOT of mediocre games in there. And a guy like Verlander has propelled his team into first place.

So because he plays in a sh$%y division he should get MVP? They would be 9 games behind in the AL east, would he be MVP then?

zls44

Reaction Score
So because he plays in a sh$%y division he should get MVP? They would be 9 games behind in the AL east, would he be MVP then?

You are holding his division against him? I think we can all agree that he'd dominate in the AL East too, albeit with a slight numbers drop-off. I think they're 12 over in games he pitches and .500 in ones he hasn't.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like Verlander for the Cy Young but please he doesn't have to face the Yankees, Red Soxs at least 4 times a piece in a year. I like daily players to win the MVP period.

Reaction Score
I like Verlander for the Cy Young but please he doesn't have to face the Yankees, Red Soxs at least 4 times a piece in a year. I like daily players to win the MVP period.
Agreed. If Ron Guidry and Pedro did not win in years they were very dominant then Verlander should not. Tremendous year for him no doubt so congrats on the Cy. Ends there though as there are too many guys this year who lace them up every game and have some pretty nice stats to prove why they are valuable.

Reaction Score
I'm really dismissive of the "position players only" argument. Pitchers are players, and in fact they are the one position that effects the game more than any other. To disqualify them is dumb, and any writer that takes that position should lose his HOF vote. The award is "Most Valuable Player" not "Most Valuable Position Player" or "Most Valuable Non-Pitcher". If you're not considering pitchers you're not paying attention to the rules.

Reaction Score

Highly doubtful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members