Curtain lifted on Iowa 2022-23 season | The Boneyard

Curtain lifted on Iowa 2022-23 season

Reaction Score
Raw video of session with sports psychologist after 5-3 start to season, followed up with interviews after reaching Final Four.
Not sure I've seen something like this from anyone before. Some great insight on what it's like for Caitlin beginning around 4 minute mark; she voices her feelings beginning around minute 7.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really good stuff. That raw honesty had to come from Kate Martin, who I've always suspected is the true leader of that team. I think even Clark defers to her. Two very hard truths came out:
  • Martin pointed out how in practice they always worked to take good shots while in games that was not always the case, an obvious reference to Clark forcing shots.
  • Clark followed by noting there are games where she looks around and sees people with blank faces like they don't want to be there, and other games where everyone is involved and having fun. She even pointed out two particular games, the N.C. State game where she felt like she had to be the rescuer when that's not what she wanted to do, and the Michigan game where the whole team contributed, noting how much she preferred the latter.

Those are tough conversations. Keeping in mind this took place early in the season when the team was disappointed to be 5-3, I think it shows a lot of maturity that they went on and, for the most part, found the balance they needed and made it to the national championship game. Clark shows a lot of self-awareness here. It's obvious she had thought about these things.

Another interesting tidbit was Martin noting that Clark was the one taking most of the coaching heat in practice. That surprised me a bit.

I've seen this guy do tons of interviews with Geno and other coaches. Always interesting.

Reaction Score
Really good stuff. That raw honesty had to come from Kate Martin, who I've always suspected is the true leader of that team. I think even Clark defers to her. Two very hard truths came out:
  • Martin pointed out how in practice they always worked to take good shots while in games that was not always the case, an obvious reference to Clark forcing shots.
  • Clark followed by noting there are games where she looks around and sees people with blank faces like they don't want to be there, and other games where everyone is involved and having fun. She even pointed out two particular games, the N.C. State game where she felt like she had to be the rescuer when that's not what she wanted to do, and the Michigan game where the whole team contributed, noting how much she preferred the latter.

Those are tough conversations. Keeping in mind this took place early in the season when the team was disappointed to be 5-3, I think it shows a lot of maturity that they went on and, for the most part, found the balance they needed and made it to the national championship game. Clark shows a lot of self-awareness here. It's obvious she had thought about these things.

Another interesting tidbit was Martin noting that Clark was the one taking most of the coaching heat in practice. That surprised me a bit.

I've seen this guy do tons of interviews with Geno and other coaches. Always interesting.

<Another interesting tidbit was Martin noting that Clark was the one taking most of the coaching heat in practice. That surprised me a bit.>

That actually didn't surprise me. The hottake from a lot of rival Cyclone fans is that Bluder simply turned over the keys of the team to Clark which I never bought into at all.

There are games where Clark is doing too much and it's a question of whether she is driving that or responding to others not contributing. Think at times it can be one and others times the other. They are at their best when they are out running and Clark is throwing TD passes and scoring her own TD's.

BTW, kudos to Bluder for having her gals so accessible to media and not just Big Ten or Hawkeye program scripted PR. Started thinking about this some when I ran across a podcast with Monika Czinano with two of the McCaffery boys hosting. Not a fan at all of the two boys but watched a minute and ended up watching more because Monika was so candid and fun. The posted video is something you'll never see from the Iowa State program, much to my disappointment. I appreciate that Bluder respects and trusts her gals enough to let them be responsible for themselves like the young adults they are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
<Another interesting tidbit was Martin noting that Clark was the one taking most of the coaching heat in practice. That surprised me a bit.>

That actually didn't surprise me. The hottake from a lot of rival Cyclone fans is that Bluder simply turned over the keys of the team to Clark which I never bought into at all.

There are games where Clark is doing too much and it's a question of whether she is driving that or responding to others not contributing. Think at times it can be one and others times the other. They are at their best when they are out running and Clark is throwing TD passes and scoring her own TD's.

BTW, kudos to Bluder for having her gals so accessible to media and not just Big Ten or Hawkeye program scripted PR. Started thinking about this some when I ran across a podcast with Monika Czinano with two of the McCarthy boys hosting. Not a fan at all of the two boys but watched a minute and ended up watching more because Monika was so candid and fun. The posted video is something you'll never see from the Iowa State program, much to my disappointment. I appreciate that Bluder respects and trusts her gals enough to let them be responsible for themselves like the young adults they are.
Interesting insight. I doubt there are very many programs that would allow this to become public. Iowa is a bit unique since so many of the players on that team grew up playing summer ball together and wound up choosing the same college. They're probably about as close to sisters as teammates can be. That can be good or bad, of course. ;)

Reaction Score

BTW, kudos to Bluder for having her gals so accessible to media and not just Big Ten or Hawkeye program scripted PR. Started thinking about this some when I ran across a podcast with Monika Czinano with two of the McCarthy boys hosting. Not a fan at all of the two boys but watched a minute and ended up watching more because Monika was so candid and fun. The posted video is something you'll never see from the Iowa State program, much to my disappointment. I appreciate that Bluder respects and trusts her gals enough to let them be responsible for themselves like the young adults they are.
McCaffrey?

Reaction Score

Well said on all counts, YoDore. It was fascinating throughout, and I was disappointed when it was over.

I started watching the Hawkeyes' games as often as possible when Caitlin was a freshman and I've always had tons of respect for Kate. I watch their games principally to see Caitlin Magic, but Kate is the player who keeps the team together.

That Kate won't be there next season might well be a key determinant in Caitlin's decision about staying or going.

Thanks, Bijod, for the post!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom