Curious | The Boneyard

Curious

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I missed the game, and believe me the reasons for missing were far worse than any football game can be, but the comments on the threads about Beaudry aren’t exactly reflected by his stats. Comments about his constantjy overthrowing or under throwing when he was 14-21 seem a little extreme. Was he throwing to the wrong targets?

Comments about conservative play calling don’t surprise me. Edsall’s trademark. That is death in the wide open AAC. The running game mustve been decent. A lot of different receivers had catches.

Understood that Wagner is the weakest team we will face, but is there any sign of real defensive improvement? I see that Wagner had a kid go 55 yards on a running play. That sounds too much like last year. Too many long running plays.

I’m not an Edsall fan, I thought he was decent the first time around but lived off the Orlovsky successes. The bend but don’t break, non attacking D might have generally worked in the Big East but this year we are still in the high powered AAC offense league. You need to be pretty high level D to give the O a fighting chance.

Reaction Score
He had this weird combination of being both slow to react and efficiently making the correct reads (except the pick 6). Honestly don't think I've ever noticed that in a QB before. His passes are flat and woefully inaccurate when beyond 10ish yards. He tosses line drives and there's a reason he only completed 55% of his passes in D2 ball. If Steven Krajewski isn't the starter at some point this season he's either the worst QB in the history of organized football or we should just fold the program.

Ironically, the defense was very good, and compared to last year fantastic until the announcer mentioned that Wagner had more penalty yards than total yards. All of a sudden there were missed tackles aplenty.

I've never seen someone coach as scared as Edsall did last night, against a weak FCS team at that. Felt a lot like 2016 Maine where we felt like UConn would roll and clearly were the better team but barely escaped.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I missed the game, and believe me the reasons for missing were far worse than any football game can be, but the comments on the threads about Beaudry aren’t exactly reflected by his stats. Comments about his constantjy overthrowing or under throwing when he was 14-21 seem a little extreme. Was he throwing to the wrong targets?

Comments about conservative play calling don’t surprise me. Edsall’s trademark. That is death in the wide open AAC. The running game mustve been decent. A lot of different receivers had catches.

Understood that Wagner is the weakest team we will face, but is there any sign of real defensive improvement? I see that Wagner had a kid go 55 yards on a running play. That sounds too much like last year. Too many long running plays.

I’m not an Edsall fan, I thought he was decent the first time around but lived off the Orlovsky successes. The bend but don’t break, non attacking D might have generally worked in the Big East but this year we are still in the high powered AAC offense league. You need to be pretty high level D to give the O a fighting chance.
On D we were able to get some pressure on the QB and we were able to cover their wideouts. Two things we couldn’t do against even URI. Tackling was mildly better. Still not good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Four passes really stood out. Two good, two bad.

Pass in end zone to Skanes led him perfectly and was on target. Skanes dropped an easy six.

Series or two after pick 6 UConn called a similar play, defense read it, Beaudry clutched throw, adjusted and made the completion.

Two bad ones were exactly @Brochacho said. One over thrown to a WR who had gotten behind defender. Put some air on it and WR has a TD. But he threw it flat and ball sailed past WR.

Second one was similar except WR had broken through a double team and had nothing but green grass and Beaudry underthrew a flat ball allowed DB to knock it down.

Anyone looking for a silver lining, I am plenty fine with play calling from the OC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I feel like there were some missed reads that would have got the ball out quicker not giving the D a chance to recover against our generap lack of team speed. Too much air under the ball on most throws and definitely staring down the receivers.

The hand off on 4th and 1 was brutal, we don't need to experiment with that anymore, sneak it or kick.

We also don't need to see going for it on 4th while in FG range when we are ahead by 10 anymore either.

Reaction Score
We also don't need to see going for it on 4th while in FG range.
I don’t know about that. It’s hard (and inconsistent) to criticize Edsall for being vanilla and playing it safe and also knock him for going on 4th and short. While score certainly dictates-and the actual play call was suspect— the decision to go was fine by me.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Beaudry had an odd night. He showed mobility that I didn't think he would have outside the pocket. He made some predetermined throws and that resulted in a bad Pick 6. His improvisation wasn't bad - but it was slow. Almost like he felt the O line would give him as much time as he needed. He wasn't inaccurate - he slings it in a weird motion. The numbers weren't bad- but something didn't feel right - too slow on the reads, miscommunications with the receivers on the end of routes where a guy would go to the sideline and he would throw up field.

He needs to be quicker with his decision making. Sometimes trying to not make a mistake leads to mistakes. That said, it was only his first game in a couple of years. Let's get a legitimate sample of snaps to determine his status.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Beaudry is the first QB in a while where I'm more worried for the guys hitting him than for him getting torn in half on contact. He ain't slim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom