Curious. A question. | The Boneyard

Curious. A question.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know when the kids I coach are in Concussion Protocol, they sometimes are not allowed to do "school things", such as tests, or play video games or anything that might stress their brains.

Soooo, I'm wondering how "Concussion Protocol" might affect Muhl this week.....during finals?????

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing. I would expect that at the very least she is given extra time to complete in-person exams, any online exams would have to be given in person, and she'd possibly be excused from some end of semester assignments.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just going by my experience from almost a decade ago, basically everything pauses.
That included practices, game attendance, class attendance and exams until she was medically cleared. This was followed by make up sessions of the class work. It was surprising seeing Nika on the bench at MD & hopefully that is a good sign that her concussion is not that serious.

Reaction Score
When my son had his concussion from football. he was unable to do any school work or attend classes for about two weeks as I recall. In addition to the concentration issues, he was somewhat light and noise sensitive for quite awhile even after he was cleared to go back to school.

The school system required baseline neurological testing for any kid participating in sports. Post injury the tests were run again to see if there were any deficiencies in neurological function (there were) and the tests were repeated on a regular schedule until he was back to baseline. I'm sure college athletic programs follow a similar approach.

His choice, but he never played football again after the concussion. He decided he wasn't an NFL prospect so he needed to take care of his brain. ;)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just going by my experience from almost a decade ago, basically everything pauses.
That included practices, game attendance, class attendance and exams until she was medically cleared. This was followed by make up sessions of the class work. It was surprising seeing Nika on the bench at MD & hopefully that is a good sign that her concussion is not that serious.
Yea, it depends on where they are in the "Protocol". At least in what I've seen. They get to a point where they can ride bikes/run, then practice, then play in games. But that's after they are able to do school work without effects. I was just wondering where she is in the protocol. Hopefully she is well enough along to be able to take her finals and then maybe exercising or practicing.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was an equal opportunity concussion guy, basketball, football, baseball. Got one in eighth grade when I was shoved while off balance playing 2x2 hoops in the driveway. Then in high school football, running the ball into the line and colliding helmet to helmet with the linebacker. In baseball while playing in a local summer baseball league, I stretched at first base for an errant throw and took an inadvertent knee to the back of my head.

So if my posts start sounding garbled at some point, you will know why.

This was in the sixties and early seventies. I did not see a doctor for any of them. I returned to playing fairly soon in all cases.

It is very good that they have concussion protocols now and that players are not allowed back until absolutely ready. In retrospect, I`m quite sure I was not.

I will be at Mohegan Sun on Sunday and am hoping very much that Nika is able to play. But if not, so be it. Her health is paramount. Also, it is a long season, UConn is hopefully healthy and peaking in March.

I was also at the Princeton game and it was a very scary moment. I am assuming she was out cold. Ten days between that game and Florida State - that is probably right on the line.

She was playing really well before she got injured. She has always brought the energy, but her confidence and court presence and awareness are way way up from last year. A much improved player. When she comes back, I hope she does not skip a beat.

Reaction Score
two things: 1. Concussions are not easily diagnosed nor is the intensity of damage occurred. Military/Vet soften have reactions for years for concussion incidents they picked up and kept moving from.
2. Point is: Being on the Bench, to ME, is not an indicator of Nika being good, better or great. She'd be moving and reacting while seeing the game in her room.

Thanks for the personal indicators of what happens.

Taking tests when under review for Concussion should be the last thing to happen. If even minor damage occurs the brain reacts differently. Better to give the kid the time to recover, it may seem a "break" -- I'd rather them given the opportunity to make decent grades.

Reaction Score
I was an equal opportunity concussion guy, basketball, football, baseball. Got one in eighth grade when I was shoved while off balance playing 2x2 hoops in the driveway. Then in high school football, running the ball into the line and colliding helmet to helmet with the linebacker. In baseball while playing in a local summer baseball league, I stretched at first base for an errant throw and took an inadvertent knee to the back of my head.

So if my posts start sounding garbled at some point, you will know why.

This was in the sixties and early seventies. I did not see a doctor for any of them. I returned to playing fairly soon in all cases.

It is very good that they have concussion protocols now and that players are not allowed back until absolutely ready. In retrospect, I`m quite sure I was not.

I will be at Mohegan Sun on Sunday and am hoping very much that Nika is able to play. But if not, so be it. Her health is paramount. Also, it is a long season, UConn is hopefully healthy and peaking in March.

I was also at the Princeton game and it was a very scary moment. I am assuming she was out cold. Ten days between that game and Florida State - that is probably right on the line.

She was playing really well before she got injured. She has always brought the energy, but her confidence and court presence and awareness are way way up from last year. A much improved player. When she comes back, I hope she does not skip a beat.
if she was in fact knocked unconscious then IMHO 10 days is way too soon and I don’t like it one bit

Reaction Score
Yeah, that is pretty much the same process now. I got a player who is in the concussion protocol now. She can't practice. Her class time is limited during the first few days or week and then there is a check in period to see how she is doing, and they (player, trainer, & parent) can adjust as needed. It is a nice process.

Reaction Score
There are official procedures that are followed at the university for short-term injuries that impair a student’s ability to participate in classes. This is the case for athletes and non-athletes alike.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom