OT: - Cupcake City Baby! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cupcake City Baby!

Reaction Score
Scheduling a tough game first puts a little pressure on one of our most amazing team records, namely not losing two games in a row since before any current players were born, all the way back to 1993 I believe, and well over 900 games since.

Obviously any tournament team that is not crowned champion starts the next season with a one game losing streak. A cupcake in the first game would kind of be sandbagging regarding keeping that streak intact.
Of all the impressive records UConn WCBB has, why do we even mention silly records like this?
Reminds me of that rushing record the Baltimore Ravens felt inclined to continue a couple of weeks ago. Just gives the announcers something to talk about since they can't talk about the game itself.
BTW as prolific as this program is, if UConn was in a league like say the ACC in the 70's (MCBB) or the BE in the early 80's (MCBB), it was simply last-"man" -standing. 2 losses, whatever, we're gunna try to win the league. That's basketball!

Reaction Score
The level of revisionist history that goes on is impressive. UConn has played cupcakes pretty much every year. Only in the last few years when alll the cupcakes came in conference + the 20-game conf sked limited nonconf games, has UConn trimmed its diet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I stand corrected, although I would note that in 2012-13 UConn also played P5 opponents TX A&M, Wake Forest, Purdue, MD, PSU, Oregon, Stanford, Duke & Baylor
Not gonna look up the record for all of those teams. Right off the bat though, Oregon was pre-Kelly Graves and went 4-27 that year. So...smells like a cupcake to me. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
To be clear. All the “cupcakes” I refer to are D1 schools. As far as I know, no D1 programs are playing D2 or D3 teams other than as exhibition games.
Here in Maryland, Brenda managed to dredge up someplace called "Longwood University" as its opener. D-1? I think she invented the school solely for the purpose of whooping up on them. Sounds like a tv show. Recently she found a Baltimore city college with a few thousand students to inaugurate the "Maryland Way" of playing wcbb.
In fairness, the Terps have included some heavyweights early in this season, so we'll get an early look to see if Brenda's minions do their annual swoon sooner than later. Sigh.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here in Maryland, Brenda managed to dredge up someplace called "Longwood University" as its opener. D-1? I think she invented the school solely for the purpose of whooping up on them. Sounds like a tv show. Recently she found a Baltimore city college with a few thousand students to inaugurate the "Maryland Way" of playing wcbb.
In fairness, the Terps have included some heavyweights early in this season, so we'll get an early look to see if Brenda's minions do their annual swoon sooner than later. Sigh.
I used to live in VA. Longwood is in fact a D1 program located in Farmville, VA. I have been down to Farmville a few times, not to watch Longwood, but there is a huge discount furniture distributor there.

Reaction Score
If you're from MD or the DC area, there will never be a.better example of a "cupcake" than some of the openers John Thompson used to schedule at Georgetown. St. Leo's in Florida comes to mind.
Come on, Longwood and Morgan State ain't so bad. Longwood used to be DIII and DII. Look how good Liberty is now in sports. I went to W&L and our JV squad played Liberty back in the day.

Reaction Score
Of all the impressive records UConn WCBB has, why do we even mention silly records like this?
Reminds me of that rushing record the Baltimore Ravens felt inclined to continue a couple of weeks ago. Just gives the announcers something to talk about since they can't talk about the game itself.
BTW as prolific as this program is, if UConn was in a league like say the ACC in the 70's (MCBB) or the BE in the early 80's (MCBB), it was simply last-"man" -standing. 2 losses, whatever, we're gunna try to win the league. That's basketball!
I cannot believe you are so dismissive of what is, imo, one of the most impressive records that UConn has! I’m not sure who else would have a record even remotely close to this one (not many, I would guess) but this is an incredibly impressive feat! Since 1993 we have not lost consecutive games! Incredible and very impressive! Stanford lost consecutive games in 2019! South Carolina-2018-19! Baylor-17-18! Nuff said! UConn’s consistency over the last 27+ years is simply unbelievable!

Reaction Score
Sounds like Brenda used to take your lunch lol They not only have heavy weights but I would argue they have the toughest OOC schedule

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The level of revisionist history that goes on is impressive. UConn has played cupcakes pretty much every year. Only in the last few years when alll the cupcakes came in conference + the 20-game conf sked limited nonconf games, has UConn trimmed its diet.
Even though true to a point - UConn has always played one of the strongest schedules in WBB. Even those years where there were a number of cupcakes in the OOC, there were also a number of strong teams in the OOC, plus the high level conference games. As always, the schedule was well balanced. In order to have a well balanced schedule and play in the Big East, of course all the strong schools are OOC.

Reaction Score
Former husky Kris Lamb used to be coach there.

Reaction Score
Scheduling a tough game first puts a little pressure on one of our most amazing team records, namely not losing two games in a row since before any current players were born, all the way back to 1993 I believe, and well over 900 games since.

Obviously any tournament team that is not crowned champion starts the next season with a one game losing streak. A cupcake in the first game would kind of be sandbagging regarding keeping that streak intact.
I believe it's 1,023 games, but I could be wrong. The most bizarre streak in sports?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom