Cunningham out at ND | The Boneyard

Cunningham out at ND

Reaction Score
I have to admit I hate it when coaching changes that are more or less internal promotions result in a coaching move. One article I read referenced she “wasn’t retained” which to me means not voluntary.

she will definitely land on her feet somewhere with all her experience and background. Still I’m sure there will be some feathered ruffled as a result.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I am sure she will land on her feet somewhere, there are indications that Cunningham wanted to stay at ND and continue to raise her kids in South Bend. Change can be good, but it is seldom easy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
New bosses want their own people. The way of the world.
I believe Ivey will retain the other ND assistants, so it appears that only Cunningham will be updating her resume.

Reaction Score
While I am sure she will land on her feet somewhere, there are indications that Cunningham wanted to stay at ND and continue to raise her kids in South Bend. Change can be good, but it is seldom easy.

Sometimes the person who is passed over for promotion and was in virtually the same position as the person who was promoted just has to go. Difficult for a peer to treat the new head coach as her boss. Or for the boss to adjust to treating her former colleague as her assistant.

Lots of interpersonal dynamics that come into play.

Just how things play out. Strongly doubt that another program would consider that a negative.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes the person who is passed over for promotion and was in virtually the same position as the person who was promoted just has to go. Difficult for a peer to treat the new head coach as her boss. Or for the boss to adjust to treating her former colleague as her assistant.

Lots of interpersonal dynamics that come into play.

Just how things play out. Strongly doubt that another program would consider that a negative.
I would also expect that MM will strongly recommend Cunningham to anyone interested in hiring her.

Reaction Score
Since Jamelle doesn’t want to stay in coaching, there would be a vacancy on Geno’s bench?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I can't remember where I read this, so take it with a sizable grain of salt, but the rumor I saw was that Cunningham would join the staff at UNC.

EDIT: Found it.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
How many time does one have to tell y’all! It’s a lock for Coach Jumper!!!

Yeah, you know the guy...after Pat Summittt invented the round basketball, Coach Jumper was the one who asked which side was the top.

image.jpeg
I can be there tomorrow!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coquese Washington was, former ND player, and ND coach for years under Muffet and became Associate HC before taking the HC job at Penn State. Her 8 years at Penn State started strong but after 5 dismal years she departed. Most recently an assistant at Oklahoma.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I responded initially to UConnCat's post on coaching changes. Who woulda thunk that an assistant coaching change at ND would pop up on the UConn area? (Slow times in WBB ;) ) Anyways, most of what I wrote hold for here, too:

There has been a lot of discussion on this at the Bench and within the South Bend community, as you can imagine, including:
- While not a P5 program, Beth Morgan Cunningham was a fairly successful head coach at VCU for nearly a decade before heading to ND to join Muffet McGraw after Jonathan Tsipis took the GW HC job.

While she was not as demonstrative as Niele Ivey, she had a lot of input as the wing coach (K-Mac was her most noted pupil) and Muffet acknowledged Cunningham's contributions to in-game changes in strategy and her background as a HC to keeping the overall coaching staff sailing smoothly.

- Some folks think Niele simply wants to work with Coquese Washington, who was Ivey's position coach when Ivey was the point guard on the 2011 NC team.
- Plus, Washington is a former collegiate and professional point guard, in addition to her PG coaching background. She can work with incoming combo guard Alasia Hayes and current combo guard Katlyn Gilbert, who will man the PG position this year.
- Perhaps just as importantly, you can bet she'll be step-for-step with prized 2021 recruit Olivia Miles the moment that PG gets on campus.
- Given the uncertainties of all aspects of collegiate sports, financing probably was a factor. Owens and Cunningham were assc. head coaches at ND and Washington was at Oklahoma. Even if Ivey is (probably) not being paid what McGraw was, I'm sure AD Jack Swarbrick wanted to keep the staff at two assc. head coaches, with Michaela (Mike) Mabrey filling out the staff.

- One thing for sure: Morgan Cunningham was embedded in the ND-South Bend community (she and her husband are both ND grads). There's a rumor that she's applied for the assistant coaching spot open on the UNC staff under Courtney Banghart. The AD at UNC is an ND alum, "Bubba" Cunningham (no relation to her husband). Will be interesting to see where and in what capacity she emerges in next. In any case, best of luck to Beth, who has made a lot of contributions to ND WBB, which is one reason why she's in the Irish Ring of Honor.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Yeah, you know the guy...after Pat Summittt invented the round basketball, Coach Jumper was the one who asked which side was the top.

View attachment 54488
I can be there tomorrow!

Couldn't help but notice you posted his avatar upside down. Is that some kind of distress signal? :eek:
Do you think he'd be pleased to know that he has a kind of celebrity status on the BY?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Since Jamelle doesn’t want to stay in coaching, there would be a vacancy on Geno’s bench?
Wait, what? Did I miss the memo that Jamelle does not want to stay on as coach or are you just speculating from when she took over for Jasmine back in January?

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Did I miss the memo that Jamelle does not want to stay on as coach or are you just speculating from when she took over for Jasmine?
Now you know speculation is not allow in the BY!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I can't remember where I read this, so take it with a sizable grain of salt, but the rumor I saw was that Cunningham would join the staff at UNC.

EDIT: Found it.

Uh oh, I see a potential Donut run by @triaddukefan to sooth his anxiety if this true...NC would become the second best program in the State, after State...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Couldn't help but notice you posted his avatar upside down. Is that some kind of distress signal? :eek:
Do you think he'd be pleased to know that he has a kind of celebrity status on the BY?
Might he be in the BY under an assumed name? Hmmm? If not, he should come on over. I ain’t ascared

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Might he be in the BY under an assumed name? Hmmm?

But, but, but wait, does he want Geno's job too?
Is he our next coach?
What's his handle, I'll launch a preemptive strike. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom