Cue Conspiracy Kitty: Mark Silverman and Connecticut mention | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cue Conspiracy Kitty: Mark Silverman and Connecticut mention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been fascinated about this whole realignment stuff since it started and have followed your Board for awhile, I enjoy the different perspectives. I wont pretend to know a whole lot about the UCONN program, Being in Michigan having Dan Orlovsky the QB of the Detroit Lions was about all I knew, dont follow basketball that much but I was still aware of the basketball brand that UCONN possesses. With the Rutgers and Maryland adds in the Big Ten, its intriguing on many levels but even by Delaney's admission it was a long term approach to develop their programs. Personally, I see as much potential in your program as either one of theirs and I would hope the Big Ten would add a program of value with more growth potential before the ACC does. I feel they dropped the ball letting Missouri get away and although we would likely get criticized more for a UCONN add, I would rather have a growing program with a fanbase that would appreciate being in the Conference

Reaction Score
I've been fascinated about this whole realignment stuff since it started and have followed your Board for awhile, I enjoy the different perspectives. I wont pretend to know a whole lot about the UCONN program, Being in Michigan having Dan Orlovsky the QB of the Detroit Lions was about all I knew, dont follow basketball that much but I was still aware of the basketball brand that UCONN possesses. With the Rutgers and Maryland adds in the Big Ten, its intriguing on many levels but even by Delaney's admission it was a long term approach to develop their programs. Personally, I see as much potential in your program as either one of theirs and I would hope the Big Ten would add a program of value with more growth potential before the ACC does. I feel they dropped the ball letting Missouri get away and although we would likely get criticized more for a UCONN add, I would rather have a growing program with a fanbase that would appreciate being in the Conference

I think someone in the B1G, a President, obliquely referred to the screw-up of not adding Missouri. If that had happened, someone else goes to the SEC with A&M, and the jumble would have been totally different.

Let me insert this into the conversation. Right now, the ACC is the best basketball conference in America. And they will start sucking away recruits from the BTN, establishing ever greater dominance.

Were the B1G to add UConn and Kansas, they would not only even things up with the ACC, but they would jump ahead.

Reaction Score
What I like about all this talk is that Silverman's BTN will get it's butt kicked by SNY.

While SNY is reeling in $2.50+ in Conn., Silverman will be wondering why BTN is getting .10.

Even with the Mets premium (SNY was getting $1.60 before it added UConn), that's still .90+ for UConn alone.

Wait, it gets better than that. When SNY added UConn, all Conn. cable stations took it out of the sports tier and added it to Basic. They easily more than doubled subscribers. That means he Uconn premium was well over .90+ because you have to take into account new subs.

Who watches the Mets in Conn. anyway? I never met a Ct. Mets fan other than one of my brothers (who is deranged).

So the math would be .90 per household times 12 months. I believe the total TV households in CT would be approximately 1.3m. That would make the total new revenue to sny at about 14m per year.

Reaction Score
So the math would be .90 per household times 12 months. I believe the total TV households in CT would be approximately 1.3m. That would make the total new revenue to sny at about 14m per year.

You'd have to account for how many new subscribers (i.e. Basic over Sports tier).

That is unknown to me.

Reaction Score
And to jostar's point, 60% of BTN revs are associated with football...which means 40% is not. The 40% is not broken out but there really is only one other revenue sport. And for NY and CT, there is a school that helps out in that regard, more than any other.

This is still the most amazing thing of the whole conference expansion nightmare. What business focuses totally and exclusively on the product that is 60% of its revenue, and forever makes no decisions whatsoever on the other 40%. The answer is no business that is successful.

Reaction Score
This is still the most amazing thing of the whole conference expansion nightmare. What business focuses totally and exclusively on the product that is 60% of its revenue, and forever makes no decisions whatsoever on the other 40%. The answer is no business that is successful.

Most of what's going on relates to the activism of boosters and alumni in their support of football. It's about lifestyle and fanatical interest. There are simply more football boosters. Throw the money out the window. It is not THE driver behind decisions.

Reaction Score
Most of what's going on relates to the activism of boosters and alumni in their support of football. It's about lifestyle and fanatical interest. There are simply more football boosters. Throw the money out the window. It is not THE driver behind decisions.

Whenever someone tells me something is not about the money ....

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A good read of basketball vs football interests and how they affected ACC>>>>

"Well, in the wake of expansion and the numbers piling up with television, we have a clear right and wrong. A winner and a loser of sorts. A right way and a wrong way.
There has been plenty of speculation about the value of basketball in the grand scheme of things; most notably when Kansas, one of the nation's most storied basketball programs, was on the verge of being left in the cold during Pac-12 expansion with the Big 12. Now we can exchange that speculation for a legitimate ruling. If you picked to back basketball as your passion, you picked wrong in the collegiate athletics arms race."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-admit-that-conference-has-backed-wrong-horse

Reaction Score
ACC Reaches All-Time High for Broadcast Coverage of Fall Olympic Sports
Thursday August 8, 2013

At least 101 contests are scheduled to be shown during 2013 season

Reaction Score
A good read of basketball vs football interests and how they affected ACC>>>>

"Well, in the wake of expansion and the numbers piling up with television, we have a clear right and wrong. A winner and a loser of sorts. A right way and a wrong way.
There has been plenty of speculation about the value of basketball in the grand scheme of things; most notably when Kansas, one of the nation's most storied basketball programs, was on the verge of being left in the cold during Pac-12 expansion with the Big 12. Now we can exchange that speculation for a legitimate ruling. If you picked to back basketball as your passion, you picked wrong in the collegiate athletics arms race."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-admit-that-conference-has-backed-wrong-horse

Wait. You're telling me that a choice to excel in bball is a choice to suck at football?

Reaction Score
ACC Reaches All-Time High for Broadcast Coverage of Fall Olympic Sports

Thursday August 8, 2013
At least 101 contests are scheduled to be shown during 2013 season

That's great. The point is, the ACC can't rely on its own network to show those sports. If it sells minor sports to ESPN or others at all, it's not getting a decent payday. Whereas the B1G is collecting subscriber fees and advertising revenue. Even UConn women bball, which is the highest rated show on all of television on over 1 million Conn. TV sets, a program that outdraws Syracuse MEN'S basketball on SNY in the tri-state area, is only worth $2 million a year for UConn. It's worth a heckuva lot more for SNY though. That's why the B1G kills it. It takes half the revenues as profit. Unfortunately, UConn and the ACC do not have that luxury because they are not in production for themselves.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily...but you can bet that a fan base that sees BB as their #1 sport (Duke, Kansas, UNC) isn't a world beater in football.

There are some outliers that can win championships in both...Florida and some others...but with Florida, BB is a secondary sport.

Reaction Score
That's great. The point is, the ACC can't rely on its own network to show those sports. If it sells minor sports to ESPN or others at all, it's not getting a decent payday. Whereas the B1G is collecting subscriber fees and advertising revenue. Even UConn women bball, which is the highest rated show on all of television on over 1 million Conn. TV sets, a program that outdraws Syracuse MEN'S basketball on SNY in the tri-state area, is only worth $2 million a year for UConn. It's worth a heckuva lot more for SNY though. That's why the B1G kills it. It takes half the revenues as profit. Unfortunately, UConn and the ACC do not have that luxury because they are not in production for themselves.

People aren't lining up to watch volleyball, wrestling, track and soccer...it is football, and basketball....the rest is just filler.

Reaction Score
UNC brings in $11 million from its IMG contract...a good chunk of which is the radio broadcast of BB.

Reaction Score
People aren't lining up to watch volleyball, wrestling, track and soccer...it is football, and basketball....the rest is just filler.

You're leaving out ad revenue. Why do you think the IU AD made that comment?

Reaction Score
Of course because when you don't want to reveal something you are very specific about it. :confused:

Sorry, I started my post and then was drawn away for a bit - and by the time I returned I was too hasty in submitting.

My thoughts:

1. The comments were broad enough that they were impossible not to be true, and seperately (only If you are in the conspiracy-type mood)

2. They read more to be intentional as opposed to something that slipped. Similar comments attributed to Delanry can be found in print. Thus I think these statements are orchestrated for some effect. Such as to gradually establish as a premise the importance of subscriptions in the tri-state, NYC basketball, etc, toward implementing their strategy. Maybe this orchestrated message is in anticipation of justifying an expansion decision?

Reaction Score
These articles make me sad. I spend much of my leisure time trying to forget that a dumpster of an athletic program like Rutgers was saved, and UConn got a death sentence.
From the man who wants to throw the FB program out with the dishwater!!As usual brilliant Nelson!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I started my post and then was drawn away for a bit - and by the time I returned I was too hasty in submitting.

My thoughts:

1. The comments were broad enough that they were impossible not to be true, and seperately (only If you are in the conspiracy-type mood)

2. They read more to be intentional as opposed to something that slipped. Similar comments attributed to Delanry can be found in print. Thus I think these statements are orchestrated for some effect. Such as to gradually establish as a premise the importance of subscriptions in the tri-state, NYC basketball, etc, toward implementing their strategy. Maybe this orchestrated message is in anticipation of justifying an expansion decision?
Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104