CT SUN | The Boneyard

CT SUN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will the SUN make the playoffs? Would they better off finishing out of the playoffs to get a lotter pick?

Reaction Score
Today's throw away loss to LA helps their case to finish out of the playoffs.

Reaction Score
They don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Let's hope that NY also tanks and the Sun get 2 of the top 4 picks. And that the GM has the good sense to get rid of Anne Donovan.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this isn't the year to be bad, outside of KML, and I have doubts she'll be a star in the league. They will still be young next year, and high chance of being a lottery team again in the Stewie sweepstakes (Loyd isn't a bad consolation prize either).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What a sad loss today
They outplayed LA until the last 30 seconds and literally threw the game away.
I was wrong about Nneka, thought she was truly injured but no…
Her sister outplayed her all game but Nneka hung in there and with the great steal and Kristi's shot
LA stole the win

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
What a sad loss today
They outplayed LA until the last 30 seconds and literally threw the game away.
I was wrong about Nneka, thought she was truly injured but no…
Her sister outplayed her all game but Nneka hung in there and with the great steal and Kristi's shot
LA stole the win

That was a REALY, REALLY bad loss. I just caught it on All Access... made me sick. :( In the bigger picture (looking for a silver lining) a good game for LA and I think they need to be successful for the league to hang on. Hopefully this will propel them into a strong playoff run... it would be good for the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why do we think rookies could come in and make a huge impact..., strangely some do some dont

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Debbie Black at Eastern Illinois would make a great replacement for Anne Donovan!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this isn't the year to be bad, outside of KML, and I have doubts she'll be a star in the league. They will still be young next year, and high chance of being a lottery team again in the Stewie sweepstakes (Loyd isn't a bad consolation prize either).
I agree. This is not a strong senior class and I also doubt that KML will be a star in this league. It would be smart to package the picks for a current good veteran player. I also agree that Debbie Bkack should be given an opportunity, but first the SUN must get rid of the GM and the ciaching staff.

Reaction Score
Only 3 of the 12 wnba teams have winning records. The Sun is one of the most inexperienced teams, starting 2 rookies and 2 second year players. Losing Hightower really hurt them. They've lost 4 or 5 games at the end, where, in my opinion, lack of experience, and not the coaching, made the difference. The 3 teams with the winnng records have 1,2, or more "stars", and that's why they're where they are. Chicago with EDD playing is certainly a team that would have a winning record, they ,again ,a team with some very good players. The Sun doesn't need a new coach. They need a star player( don't know where you get one of those) , or 2, and experience for their younger players. I hope that they stick with Donovan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
boontonbomber how ya doing? Sorry I disagree, at this time of the season they're no longer rookies or 2nd year! They've played about 27 games, and with all the practices thrown in they should be able to sustain the mental aspect of the game to finish off teams! Anne Donovan won't take this team (or ANY TEAM for that matter) to the promised land! I have never liked AD as a coach, great player yes, but cannot coach!
If Debbie Black or anyone else were the coach right now they'd already be in the playoffs!
Mike Thibault would have had last years team with all the injuries in the playoffs!
Watch out, with EDD back and regaining her strength the Sky will squeak into the playoffs!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is RShermvikes anyway related to Debbie Black

Reaction Score
Also Anne Donovan has led a team to the promised land- her 2004 Seattle Storm defeated Mike Thibault's Sun for the WNBA championship. And that was a very good Sun team btw.

Reaction Score
Thibault was getting the same type of criticism on this board when he was coaching the Sun.

27 games is not very long for rookies to settle in and become a pro. They get KML in the draft and have someone who can hit those treys then it's a different story.

Reaction Score
The Sun could easily make the playoffs with some luck here and there. Look at their schedule.

Reaction Score
Thibault was getting the same type of criticism on this board when he was coaching the Sun.

27 games is not very long for rookies to settle in and become a pro. They get KML in the draft and have someone who can hit those treys then it's a different story.

I'm sure he did, fans being fans. But I have become less inclined to scream for a coach's firing as I've gotten older & have a better understanding of just how difficult a job being a coach is.

Reaction Score
boontonbomber how ya doing? Sorry I disagree, at this time of the season they're no longer rookies or 2nd year! They've played about 27 games, and with all the practices thrown in they should be able to sustain the mental aspect of the game to finish off teams! Anne Donovan won't take this team (or ANY TEAM for that matter) to the promised land! I have never liked AD as a coach, great player yes, but cannot coach!
If Debbie Black or anyone else were the coach right now they'd already be in the playoffs!
Mike Thibault would have had last years team with all the injuries in the playoffs!
Watch out, with EDD back and regaining her strength the Sky will squeak into the playoffs!
Hi RSHERM, If Donovan is that lacking as a coach, why on earth did USA basketball have her involved for so many years, including 2008 when she was the head coach of the Olympic champions? Yes, they were a very talented team, but there were certainly many, many other coaches that USA basketball could have entrusted with the job. Why her?

Reaction Score
boontonbomber- - - Her reputation as a player carried much weight! I don't like her as a person as well as a coach! She's a nasty human being! She's bad mouthed some ex-players like Kara Lawson, and screwed Barbara Turner when she was on her Seattle team causing BT to be sued by her European team!

Anne Donovan's Seattle champs in 2004 and the Olympic team were such favorites to win, look at those rosters!
Geno has said with a talented team like the USA Olympic team you don't over-coach you give direction and self-discipline and get out of their way!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is not a good coach. She does less with more. She has been lucky enough to have had some teams with enough talent to overcome her coaching.

The complaints about Mike T. were not the same. With him it was playoff expectations and whether he could finish the path to the championship. No one knowing the sport questioned Mike's general passion or coaching ability.

Reaction Score
By-the-by why do you think Asjha Jones is sitting out this season? She saw what Anne Donovan, with her 3 1/2 hour practices can do to your body and she'll sit out and either retire or sign with another team!
And I realize that Tina Charles can be a Diva at times but it had nothing to do with "going home to NY", she saw her career going south if she stayed with AD more than 1 year! Tina loved CT and wouldn't have even thought of bailing ship if Mike T. was kept on!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed how poorly Katie Douglas has been shooting for the last several weeks? (And you can't blame the coach for that.) I think the Sun would have won 2 or 3 more games if it had been KML taking those shots. Admittedly, KML as a rookie would not have the savvy and defensive skill that Douglas has as a 13-year veteran. But recently, the trade-off would still have been favorable.

I don't think the Sun lack talent overall -- Chiney and Alyssa Thomas are extremely talented. They do lack a reliable 3-point shooter -- neither Douglas nor Renee has been able to do that, for reasons that aren't clear to me in either case. Their backcourt is OK but not outstanding by WNBA standards. Kelsey Bone is adequately talented as a WNBA center, but lacking in experience and maturity -- meaning that she still has a significant upside. Kelsey Griffin (particularly coming off the bench) has a great floor game -- she is for the Sun what Kelly Faris was for UConn. What the Sun really lack (going back to Thibault's days) is a serious scoring threat at the 3 position. KML would seem ideal for that role.

Reaction Score
By-the-by why do you think Asjha Jones is sitting out this season? She saw what Anne Donovan, with her 3 1/2 hour practices can do to your body and she'll sit out and either retire or sign with another team!
And I realize that Tina Charles can be a Diva at times but it had nothing to do with "going home to NY", she saw her career going south if she stayed with AD more than 1 year! Tina loved CT and wouldn't have even thought of bailing ship if Mike T. was kept on!
Do you know how long Asjha Jones is under contract to the SUN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom