Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If the measure becomes law, Connecticut will join 18 other states that have already passed similar legislation allowing college athletes, including high-profile stars like Paige Bueckers, to profit off their names, images and likenesses. The bill now before Connecticut’s state Senate would allow college athletes to sign endorsement deals, resulting in potential windfalls for top athletes at UConn — and maybe other local schools as well.

Endorsement deals for college athletes could take many forms. A star basketball player may sign a big-money deal with Nike or Gatorade. The starting quarterback may appear in a commercial for a local car dealership. A prominent baseball player might land an internship with a local company, then appear in promotional materials.

But the largest revenue source, experts say, will be social media, where large followings could translate to sponsored posts, YouTube ad revenue and more. 80-85% of all NIL revenue is expected to be derived via social media influencing, just because that’s the easiest.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ok, so what happens when Paige's annual income surpasses Geno's? :p
He'll be carrying HER bags on and off the plane on road trips. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"Outside companies", politicians, agents and lawyers........how can this be good???
Today we have shady middlemen, overzealous parents and ambitious AAU coaches.

Same problem, just a different cast of characters.

Reaction Score
"Outside companies", politicians, agents and lawyers........how can this be good???
Unfortunately, to quote Sonny from A Bronx Tale, “No one cares.” The relatively few who will truly profit honestly will give the semblance of fairness, while opening up new, easier and pseudo legal avenues for cheating.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If a player is earning "extra" money from his/her exposure on a specific university team, shouldn't that player have to forfeit his/her scholarship?

Reaction Score
In an early version of NIL legislation I read that the student-athlete must pay their scholarship back to the university first. Before they receive income. Will some student-athletes make enough to pay back the scholarship? What happens if someone gets injured and they are not on scholarship any longer?

If every state is different, chaos will follow, which could affect recruiting. It needs to be standardized through the federal government.

W

wolfe613

it's not it's gonna ruin college sports, more ppl will be worried about Instagram and filling content then their actual sport

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If a player is earning "extra" money from his/her exposure on a specific university team, shouldn't that player have to forfeit his/her scholarship?
P-5 schools earn millions off of the NIL of their players. Most players will earn very little off of their NIL. Only a handful will be able to cover the cost of their scholarship from NIL compensation. I can’t see any way that schools will ask players to forfeit their scholarships.

Reaction Score
"In November 2019, Iowa State Athletic Director Jamie Pollard sent Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith, who’s also the co-chair of the NCAA Board of Governors Federal and State Legislation Working Group, a document that summarized an NIL model developed by Iowa State, which proposed that when an athlete signs a financial aid agreement, he or she would choose to receive either room, board, books, tuition and cost-of-attendance stipends, or the freedom to monetize his or her NIL – but not both"

Like I said before every state is different. This is from Iowa legislation from Nov 2020. No idea what final rules/laws will be. If every state is different it will be craziness. The Federal Government and/or the NCAA needs to equalize this for everyone.

Then you have the issue of state and federal income taxes. They want theirs, and they will get it. Then you have nine states with no state income tax.

Reaction Score
Any school in any state that doesn’t have this on the books will never be able to recruit a high profile athlete. The NCAA would be crazy not to pass this immediately.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the few who really cash in will give up their scholarships on advise from their image consultants. As for ruining anything I can only point to men's basketball and football where the bagmen pass on the sidewalk in front of top HS talent's homes. When there's billions involved it's impossible to insulate the athletes from it.

Personally I think that if I had been given a few million as a UConn senior I may not have lived to graduate. ;)

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I wonder if John Donahoe, President & CEO of Nike, isn’t standing outside Paige’s dorm room with a pen and contract in hand?
I can't wait to cop a pair of Paige breds

Reaction Score
With the upcoming NIL legislation, their is a number of questions regarding. 'Nike' as a would be sponsor. I will leave it at that!

Reaction Score
Any school in any state that doesn’t have this on the books will never be able to recruit a high profile athlete. The NCAA would be crazy not to pass this immediately.
The NCAA is the sole arbiter of who is eligible to play in its club in which membership is completely voluntary. The states can pass a billion laws and it won't mean a thing. Players can already make money from their name, image, and likeness just like you can. There are no laws preventing that now, so what exactly do these laws make legal that's already not legal?

Reaction Score
The NCAA is the sole arbiter of who is eligible to play in its club in which membership is completely voluntary. The states can pass a billion laws and it won't mean a thing. Players can already make money from their name, image, and likeness just like you can. There are no laws preventing that now, so what exactly do these laws make legal that's already not legal?
Cheating

Reaction Score
This is going rto be a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Students going to Michigan, Notre Dame, OSU or Alabama for football are going to get a lot more endorsements than any UConn player. The big, top schools will use this as a recruiting incentive. In women's basketball - will Connecticut businesses pony up more than business from South Carolina, Tennessee, California? I know this is the popular thing right now but it is going to ruin college sports. The Big 10 and the SEC, PAC10 and ACC will split from the NCAA forming a Super conference leaving the rest behind. This is not going to be good for UConn sports in the long run that already runs $40+ million in the red every year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is going rto be a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Students going to Michigan, Notre Dame, OSU or Alabama for football are going to get a lot more endorsements than any UConn player. The big, top schools will use this as a recruiting incentive. In women's basketball - will Connecticut businesses pony up more than business from South Carolina, Tennessee, California? I know this is the popular thing right now but it is going to ruin college sports. The Big 10 and the SEC, PAC10 and ACC will split from the NCAA forming a Super conference leaving the rest behind. This is not going to be good for UConn sports in the long run that already runs $40+ million in the red every year.
You’re thinking regionally, which will certainly be an element of NIL for many athletes. But top athletes and top programs will provide exposure for NIL on a national basis.

UConn sports is already behind the eight ball when it comes to the P5 conferences, with or without NIL, with one exception, WBB. NIL will be a boon for UConn WBB players, so long as the program continues to be a perennial powerhouse, which will be at least as long as Geno coaches.

Reaction Score
Hi all,

I got some time for my Connecticut Scoreboard Podcast with State Sen. Derek Slap. He spearheaded the bill to get NIL passed. He talked about why it was so important to get this done, his work with Dave Benedict, Geno, and UConn to get this accomplished and more:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The NCAA says that if you receive money from a sponsor, an organization, or anyone else because of your talent, you are considered a professional. If you are a professional, you can't hire an agent, you cannot play amateur sports, or least get paid for it. For example, an amateur can compete in the U.S.Open in golf, but if he wins not a penny of the purse is collected. A trophy, a handshake, and an attaboy. If the NCAA doesn't pass something quickly to level the playing field, college sports as we know it will cease to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom