CT. high school basketball shot clock | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CT. high school basketball shot clock

Reaction Score
Yeah but let's do some math... I coached for 15 years and truly truly truly only saw it happen once. St. Bernard sat on the ball in the 4th quarter with a 4 point lead and we ended up winning anyway..

Does it happen? I hear it does, but it's really so rare.
We did it in high school, usually at the end of games with a lead but a few times in the beginning of games as a strategy against more talented teams..and the end goal was to get a layup out of it or get fouled if we were up at the end of games. The truth is that it is very hard to do right and it backfired on us more than it worked. Some teams do it to get the other team out of their 2-3 zone. But its almost always done against good teams and its very hard for most high school kids to execute without making a mistake if they are trying to do it for more than a minute.

Reaction Score
We did it in high school, usually at the end of games with a lead but a few times in the beginning of games as a strategy against more talented teams..and the end goal was to get a layup out of it or get fouled if we were up at the end of games. The truth is that it is very hard to do right and it backfired on us more than it worked. Some teams do it to get the other team out of their 2-3 zone. But its almost always done against good teams and its very hard for most high school kids to execute without making a mistake if they are trying to do it for more than a minute.
Also, I saw it done once in a middle school travel game for an entire quarter because the other team refused to get out of their 2-3 zone. It was a battle of stubbornness by the ridiculous coaches. But this was over 10 years ago. It was very funny and the entire gym was going crazy while the players just stood there...and yeah, that wasn't helpful for the kids.

Reaction Score
Good point about putting another thing for the referees to watch. In CT, are there still only 2 refs for every game? I live in Vermont now and there are 3 refs for every game. The states that use a shot click now, are there 2 or 3 refs at each game?
Ref shortage here, they'd have to did way too deep into the pool of refs to get 3 per HS game.

Reaction Score
It's not just about stopping the 4 corners or stalling game, it's about increasing the pace of play.
Look at the scores in a typical CIAC game. Or just watch a CIAC game and then go watch a NEPSAC (30-second shot clock) game.
It's a big difference in the boy's games and an even bigger difference in the girl's games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom