CT. high school basketball shot clock | The Boneyard

CT. high school basketball shot clock

Reaction Score
It's crazy to me they haven't always had one but they're finally getting one.

Joe Morelli on Twitter: "The CIAC Board of Control passed this morning use of a 35-second shot clock to begin with the 2023-24 #ctbb #ctgb season. Mandatory at varsity, optional at JV and freshman levels." / Twitter

Reaction Score
Why didn't this happen sooner if the vote was that overwhelming.
Kick back from schools pertaining to cost associated. Originally they wanted it across all levels and there was kickback that they now needed to pay one more “official” for every game to run shot clock. That is why they settled on Varsity implementation and optional for JV and Freshman. At least this is what I heard the hold up was.

Reaction Score
When I was a reporter, long time ago, I covered an undefeated Tolland team in the NCCC tournament and it was like 6-4 at the half. One team just held the ball at halfcourt the entire game. I think it was Somers. Tolland won because I think everyone booed. I love it, like a 45 minute game on deadline.

Reaction Score
I could not be more against this. For someone who's coached high school ball in CT for 15 years this is silly.

I've gotten in multiple debates with those familiar with the prep route as well as D-3 coaches. They have a skewed view of it because in their eyes, not having the shot clock is hurting kids going to play at the next level (it's not).

If CT were one of the final states to get it, I would have no choice by to assent, however, CT is the NINTH STATE TO GET THE SHOT CLOCK IN AMERICA!

Look at these middle of the road conferences in CT, how many kids boys/girls are coming out of it to either go prep or play D-1, 2, or 3? 10? 12? 15? TOPS. All this for that?

So every school in CT, Somers, East Granby, Wheeler, etc etc has to pay an astronomical amount to get this installed - on top of paying another official to run it now.

I just think people romanticize the shot clock like it's some grand element that brings us out of the dark ages.

I coached varsity basketball in MA as well and the shot clock makes little to no difference on the game itself.

Gee, good thing we are keeping up with the Jones' like North and South Dakota.. Give me a break...

Reaction Score
I also coached high school basketball, at a school in the CCC for 11 years and am 100% against this. Get ready for some Jim Calhoun wannabe coaches screaming at the shot clock operators. How many high school teams can actually hold the ball for 35 seconds? And this is being done at what cost? There is a shortage of referees now, I would think this will contribute to this shortage. I believe this also will take some coaching strategies away from coaches.

Reaction Score
I could not be more against this. For someone who's coached high school ball in CT for 15 years this is silly.

I've gotten in multiple debates with those familiar with the prep route as well as D-3 coaches. They have a skewed view of it because in their eyes, not having the shot clock is hurting kids going to play at the next level (it's not).

If CT were one of the final states to get it, I would have no choice by to assent, however, CT is the NINTH STATE TO GET THE SHOT CLOCK IN AMERICA!

Look at these middle of the road conferences in CT, how many kids boys/girls are coming out of it to either go prep or play D-1, 2, or 3? 10? 12? 15? TOPS. All this for that?

So every school in CT, Somers, East Granby, Wheeler, etc etc has to pay an astronomical amount to get this installed - on top of paying another official to run it now.

I just think people romanticize the shot clock like it's some grand element that brings us out of the dark ages.

I coached varsity basketball in MA as well and the shot clock makes little to no difference on the game itself.

Gee, good thing we are keeping up with the Jones' like North and South Dakota.. Give me a break...
Your living in the dark ages.The game in Ct.is important enough to do it for the kids. We slight the kids everywhere with the excuse of cost. Air conditioning in schools etc..In education the deciding factor is always what's best for the kids.

Reaction Score

I also coached high school basketball, at a school in the CCC for 11 years and am 100% against this. Get ready for some Jim Calhoun wannabe coaches screaming at the shot clock operators. How many high school teams can actually hold the ball for 35 seconds? And this is being done at what cost? There is a shortage of referees now, I would think this will contribute to this shortage. I believe this also will take some coaching strategies away from coaches.

My understanding from 2 local schools is they were intending to make shot clock a stipend position for a teacher and they will not need to be a certified ref. I have no idea what the CIACs rule will be... I'm out of the loop. Similar to tje folks who do the book.

Reaction Score
Your living in the dark ages.The game in Ct.is important enough to do it for the kids. We slight the kids everywhere with the excuse of cost. Air conditioning in schools etc..In education the deciding factor is always what's best for the kids.
What’s best for the kids? Opening a can of worms with that statement

Reaction Score
My understanding from 2 local schools is they were intending to make shot clock a stipend position for a teacher and they will not need to be a certified ref. I have no idea what the CIACs rule will be... I'm out of the loop. Similar to tje folks who do the book.
Not sure how CT schools will do it but in NY I did the shot clock for 3 years in HS and was definitely not a certified ref

Reaction Score
Southern Connecticut State coach Scott Burrell feels the shot clock will not only improve the players’ skill level, but also improve the game itself. In other words, make it more appealing to watch.

“Speeding up the game makes it more interesting and makes it fun for fans,” said Burrell, who starred at UConn and in the NBA, most notably winning a championship with the Chicago Bulls in 1998. “(No shot clock) hurts them big time. You play at the next level, you have a shot clock. If you don’t have it, you are not preparing yourself for the next level, so why not do it at an age where you are getting recruited by colleges? Let the kids have the best experience for their future.”

Alternate free link:

Reaction Score
I'm a current ref and in my experience, pace of game is seldom an issue to necessitate a shot clock. I really don't want to end up being responsible for the shot clock, which will inevitably happen, regardless of that fact that it won't be my job to monitor that it's properly reset.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Regardless if a kid is going D1 or will never play competitive basketball after their last HS game, there is no skill or life lesson taught having kids not even attempt to score or attack the defense. It's chickenschitt.

Reaction Score
I'm theoretically all for the shot clock but then my practical side takes over. Financially, it doesn't make any sense. I understand Scottie Burrell's argument because he's a coach but where does that argument end. Are we harming the JV and Freshman if we don't invest in a shot clock? How about middle school? If coaches are truly invested in the best interests of their student-athletes, they will run offenses that approximate the college games without an actual shot clock.

Reaction Score
States had it before the NFHS approved it: California, Georgia, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington
The 3 states that border CT had it. NFHS just approved it for 2022-23 season.
More and more states are adopting it.
If they had players vote, it would have been in every state years ago.

Reaction Score
Regardless if a kid is going D1 or will never play competitive basketball after their last HS game, there is no skill or life lesson taught having kids not even attempt to score or attack the defense. It's chickenschitt.
Yeah but let's do some math... I coached for 15 years and truly truly truly only saw it happen once. St. Bernard sat on the ball in the 4th quarter with a 4 point lead and we ended up winning anyway..

Does it happen? I hear it does, but it's really so rare.

Reaction Score
I'm a current ref and in my experience, pace of game is seldom an issue to necessitate a shot clock. I really don't want to end up being responsible for the shot clock, which will inevitably happen, regardless of that fact that it won't be my job to monitor that it's properly reset.
Good point about putting another thing for the referees to watch. In CT, are there still only 2 refs for every game? I live in Vermont now and there are 3 refs for every game. The states that use a shot click now, are there 2 or 3 refs at each game?

Reaction Score
Didn’t mean to like your post. There’s not a life lesson or basketball lesson for a player to learn by using a legal strategy to win a game? All a shot clock does is benefit the team with more talent

Reaction Score
Pros and cons with it, as stated by a poster above, it’s gonna make it even tougher on the refs, who already get cussed out by the fans especially FCIAC games, but it will make the game faster per say and gives the athletic teams an advantage over the teams who play slower and prefer half court like a Ridgefield, East Catholic a few years back, etc

Reaction Score
Good point about putting another thing for the referees to watch. In CT, are there still only 2 refs for every game? I live in Vermont now and there are 3 refs for every game. The states that use a shot click now, are there 2 or 3 refs at each game?
For central CT 2 is the norm, with 3 for bigger matchups and the playoffs. I think it's that way elsewhere in the state, but I'm not sure. Also don't know if that's due to ref shortages or schools trying to cut the cost of an additional ref.

Don't know what the numbers are looking like this year but last year was brutal. Lots of guys in their 60s were doing a jv/varsity doubleheader multiple times a week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom