Crystal...queen of calm & Geno's best buddy... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crystal...queen of calm & Geno's best buddy...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good post. The two who spend the most time with Geno are her and Lou. And while they are seriously different players, they are treated very similarly by Geno - same respect and same responsibility for what happens on the floor with the other teammates.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with all of this, but I would make this observation: We haven't seen a game this year that compares to her game against Baylor last year. That was more like a Gabby game, where she just stunned everyone with her speed and athleticism. Watching a replay of that game, I remember seeing Lauren Cox watch Crystal go by her in one case and make a banked layup over her extended hand in another case, and the expression on Lauren's face translated as "What am I supposed to do to stop this???"

I guess the combination of shin splints and greater responsibility this year has cramped her style just enough so that she hasn't had another entire game quite like that. (There have certainly been individual plays like that, such as the behind-the-back pass.) But in the next two years, I expect her to get back her inner Gabby while the computer continues to process the whole court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The more things change.....
hc-uconn-women-basketball-notebook-0321-20170320

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great post. And a much more willing and capable defender, too.

Anyone that watched her last year and this one, can see the difference in her play. It takes a while to learn (understand) and be able to physically be able to play defense the way Geno wants it done. It involves an understanding of how to anticipate a player's movements, the ability to take an angle (an option) away from them, and to move your legs and feet fast enough to stay in front of them all the way through their drive, and NOT give up on them towards the end of the drive. Kia Nurse has perfected this ability. She'll keep her hands up, and run along side of her man the entire time, cutting her off, and eliminating any passing or continued driving options.

Crystal had to learn this. She can do it now, but couldn't last year. It's like learning how to drive a car. When you first get your license, you can operate the car, but you're not as good as you will be a year later with the additional experience under your belt, and much much better 2 years going forward. An experienced driver's "decision making" is much better that a newly licensed driver for obvious reasons.

Remember, most offensive players (which she was) in high school don't arrive at the next level with the ability to play "shut you down defense" on day 1. Many of the players they encounter are in some cases that 1st year are faster, older, wiser and more intense. I can see a freshman coming in and attempting to stop Kelsey Mitchell, Kitija Laksa, A'ja Wilson or Kalani Brown. It's not going to happen. Remember A'ja Wilson's freshman year and the very first time she played against UConn? Stewie took her to school. Fast forward, A'ja is a much better and more experienced player now, as Dangerfield will be next year.

If you have any hopes of stopping Mitchell or any of these other ladies, you put your best defender on her, not a freshman. And if a freshman is your best defender, you're in lots of trouble. :eek:

I'm not bashing Mo. Let me be clear on this.........I admire and respect everything she did while she was there. I'm NOT discounting or minimizing anything she did while she was there. She was a great player. She and Stokes were my favorites while they were there. I'll be at the Aces inaugural home game in Las Vegas (already have my tickets) in May just to see her. I'll be wearing some UConn gear to show support for her. That game should be sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. Numbers wise Jefferson was pretty even or exceeded both Bird and Rizzotti. (best FG%, most Assists, fewest TO's, best A/TO ratio - wide margin, most steals, most blocks). Add in 4 NC's, and there's a pretty good argument Jefferson is the #1 PG at UCONN. (That's just UCONN though.)

Could change that around and say Bird and Rizzotti are just a notch below Jefferson.

Dangerfield still has 2 years though to improve, I think she'll be up there with those 3.
Thanks for the intelligent response! Not sure pure numbers really define a point guard though. They say Rizzotti was an absolute warrior and Bird absolutely knew how to make everyone better and she supposedly was a genius at delivering the pass when the teammate wanted it and needed it. Pure talent, I'm totally with you!
Did you see the SNY show that ranked the 10 best Huskies of all time? Pretty interesting. Check youtube. Had DT #1, Stewie #2, Maya #3. Mo was #10 I think, with Bird and Rizzotti ahead of her. Check it out!

Reaction Score
Anyone that watched her last year and this one, can see the difference in her play. It takes a while to learn (understand) and be able to physically be able to play defense the way Geno wants it done. It involves an understanding of how to anticipate a player's movements, the ability to take an angle (an option) away from them, and to move your legs and feet fast enough to stay in front of them all the way through their drive, and NOT give up on them towards the end of the drive. Kia Nurse has perfected this ability. She'll keep her hands up, and run along side of her man the entire time, cutting her off, and eliminating any passing or continued driving options.

Crystal had to learn this. She can do it now, but couldn't last year. It's like learning how to drive a car. When you first get your license, you can operate the car, but you're not as good as you will be a a year later with the additional experience under your belt, and much much better 2 years going forward. Remember, most offensive players (which she was) in high school don't arrive at the next level with the ability to play "shut you down defense" on day 1. Many of the players they encounter are in some cases faster, older, wiser and more intense. I can see a freshman coming in and attempting to stop Kelsey Mitchell.

Larry Bird once related his thoughts when an opposing coach assigned a white player to guard him. Bird said he thought it was a sign of disrespect. That guy was invisible to Bird. Bird said he went on to embarrass the guy. He was at Bird's mercy. If you have any hopes of stopping Mitchell, you put your best defender on her, not a freshman. And if a freshman is your best defender, you're in lots of trouble. :eek:
I agree! Crystal stays with the play till the end. Never see her give up and/or lunge or reach. Most of her steals are right in front of her. I'm anxious to see her against the best. Most of the top 10, have good point guards. I'm thinking Z could be the X-factor this year, but maybe it will be the emergence of Crystal as a star! Can't wait!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I'd say that Crystal has proven herself able— even as just a sophomore— to handle the myriad responsibilities Geno places on the shoulders of his often most diminutive players, i.e., the point guards. Adding the 3-pointer to her scoring repetoire this season, thereby forcing defenders to come out to the arc, makes more space for cutters and her passes to them. Looking (not too far) ahead, I'd encourage her to penetrate more often into defensive interiors. She has already been quite successful with the 12-15 foot pull-up and the 6 foot floater. Both of those threats will open up still more passing lanes for her and occupy defenders around the foul-line area. I have no doubt she will consistently find those opportunities next year and judge just when to take advantage. I do like her style!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for the intelligent response! Not sure pure numbers really define a point guard though. They say Rizzotti was an absolute warrior and Bird absolutely knew how to make everyone better and she supposedly was a genius at delivering the pass when the teammate wanted it and needed it. Pure talent, I'm totally with you!
Did you see the SNY show that ranked the 10 best Huskies of all time? Pretty interesting. Check youtube. Had DT #1, Stewie #2, Maya #3. Mo was #10 I think, with Bird and Rizzotti ahead of her. Check it out!
Yea, I saw it, didn't agree with it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Crystal is actually the key player for us against Baylor or MSU, should we meet them in the FF. I don't remember if Vic likes to play zone or man, but Baylor definitely plays zone a lot.

A number of times this year, you could see where Crystal patiently played facilitator until the shot clock ran down, after which she deftly maneuvered herself into the lane to (calmly) drain a 12-foot pullup. She did so last night with ball screens against USF's man defense. Just as often she will do the same but then kick it outside.

Against zones, no one else can so easily penetrate the D and cause the same type of problems off the dribble. Yes, the first option at UCONN is to pass to the the player (often Gabby) at the free throw line in the middle of the zone but that's not always available. Dribble penetration done well is a backbreaker against a zone that relies on size. A healthy Crystal is a zone's biggest Danger.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Crystal is actually the key player for us against Baylor or MSU, should we meet them in the FF. I don't remember if Vic likes to play zone or man, but Baylor definitely plays zone a lot.

A number of times this year, you could see where Crystal patiently played facilitator until the shot clock ran down, after which she deftly maneuvered herself into the lane to (calmly) drain a 12-foot pullup. She did so last night with ball screens against USF's man defense. Just as often she will do the same but then kick it outside.

Against zones, no one else can so easily penetrate the D and cause the same type of problems off the dribble. Yes, the first option at UCONN is to pass to the the player (often Gabby) at the free throw line in the middle of the zone but that's not always available. Dribble penetration done well is a backbreaker against a zone that relies on size. A healthy Crystal is a zone's biggest Danger.

It's a good bet UConn will see one or BOTH of these teams in the tournament. I'm very interested to see who will be the other #1 seed on UConn's side of the bracket.

Reaction Score
Crystal's change from last year to this is just one of many examples of why the hand-wringers, wannabe coaches and doom & gloom second guessers need to quit obsessing over how the latest super frosh is going to step into the line-up and excel....and then become Chicken Littles when it doesn't happen right away. Relax and let the system work!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. Numbers wise Jefferson was pretty even or exceeded both Bird and Rizzotti. (best FG%, most Assists, fewest TO's, best A/TO ratio - wide margin, most steals, most blocks). Add in 4 NC's, and there's a pretty good argument Jefferson is the #1 PG at UCONN. (That's just UCONN though.)

Could change that around and say Bird and Rizzotti are just a notch below Jefferson.

Dangerfield still has 2 years though to improve, I think she'll be up there with those 3.
Thanks for taking up my job of beating the drums for Moriah!
Statistically at Uconn, Moriah blows all the other PGs out of the water. Now evaluation of PGs is not just statistics, as so much of team success is driven by the non-statisical aspects of PG play and in that regard it is hard to argue with anything more than impressions. But team success is also recorded in championships, and Moriah's haul of 4 NCs and 3 conference regular season and tournament titles is also unmatched. And don't point to teammates ... Sue was surrounded with TASS and Shea and Sveta and DT, Jen had two NPOY players on her teams as well as Nakeesha, and Jamelle, Rene had two NPOY on her teams, and Crystal has had our seniors and juniors to lead her teams so none of them are doing it on their own. And if you want to include DT in the PG discussion, she had Sue and the rest of TASS for 2 years and a great supporting cast and a very good college PG for the last two.

I am very impressed with Crystal, but I suspect she will never be the defensive force Moriah was - Moriah's length and leaping ability are physical attributes that give her an edge. I also think her anticipation on defense is something few players at any level can match.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The more things change.....
hc-uconn-women-basketball-notebook-0321-20170320

And then and then (sniffle) and then ... sh..she called me...called me...shrimp boat!

Got your attention? Yes, they are different players and bring different stuff to the table, with some very real similarites because they have the same job and the same stature, but Guns (yeah I'm still trying) has a distance to travel to get where Mo Jeff was. Do I expect it, heck yes. Will Geno et al demand it, you bet. Will it be a fun ride for us? Rhetorical question.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She is a Crystal Dangerfield original, a knockoff of no one.:)

You say that now. I vividly remember (and I can go back and pull them up) the endless comparisons of Dangerfield to Jefferson right here in the yard during the summer months (and deep into the season) after she arrived on campus as a freshman. Regardless of what any of us say or think, there are many similarities in their abilities and play.

I will submit that they are two different players. Jefferson told Dangerfield not to try and emulate her in any way. "Don't try to be me" Moriah said. "Be the best Crystal Dangerfield you can be". That was good advise. That said, I think they do have a similar style. Remember, we saw Jefferson for four years, we've only seen Dangerfield for two. To accurately compare the two line by line, we must wait until Crystal has completed her 4 years of eligibility. If you want to talk about a unique player without peer, we can talk about Gabby Williams. Because she can do things no other player can do.........like guard all five positions for starters, and guard them well!

Carnac

Reaction Score
She doesn’t have MJ’s on ball defense.

Not yet. We know Moriah had it as a junior and senior, but did she have that same defensive polish and swagger as a sophomore? I don't believe she did. We can go back and look at some of her games during her sophomore year to be sure. Jefferson developed and honed it over time. Jefferson was a much better on ball defender her last two years than she was her first two.

She was a much stronger and wiser player at 20 years old than at 18. At 20 years old Jefferson knew for sure what she was doing. At 18, she was trying desperately trying to figure things out, hoping not to make any mistakes. Right now, we can only compare Dangerfield to Moriah during their first two years. Dangerfield will improve and get much better as she gets older, wiser, stronger and matures. Time will tell. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd say that Crystal has proven herself able— even as just a sophomore— to handle the myriad responsibilities Geno places on the shoulders of his often most diminutive players, i.e., the point guards. Adding the 3-pointer to her scoring repetoire this season, thereby forcing defenders to come out to the arc, makes more space for cutters and her passes to them. Looking (not too far) ahead, I'd encourage her to penetrate more often into defensive interiors. She has already been quite successful with the 12-15 foot pull-up and the 6 foot floater. Both of those threats will open up still more passing lanes for her and occupy defenders around the foul-line area. I have no doubt she will consistently find those opportunities next year and judge just when to take advantage. I do like her style!

Thanks Papa, well said. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom