Crystal...queen of calm & Geno's best buddy... | The Boneyard

Crystal...queen of calm & Geno's best buddy...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Crystal & Geno.jpeg

I had the good fortune to attend the two Florida games for UConn recently (USF and UCF). Besides the thrill of seeing the Huskies up close, my biggest impression was the transformation of Crystal from unpredictable freshman to UConn's field general, with Geno's 100% trust. He gave her the keys to the car, the title, and an unlimited curfew. Two observations were most noticeable.

First, Crystal is as calm as any player to ever wear the UConn uniform. Nothing bothers her or impacts her mission on the court. She dribbles upcourt, at whatever speed she chooses, eyes up, scanning the weaving Huskies, looking for the tiniest opening to deliver a perfect pass. She seems completely at ease, despite the responsibility Geno has given her and the national stage she has to perform on. She is fearless, whether driving the lane amongst the trees or calmly putting up an NBA distance three-point shot. :cool:

Second, Geno seems to talk with her throughout the game. Often appearing to ask her opinion rather than give an order. The chatter doesn't stop, even when she is calmly dribbling the ball upcourt. The trust is obvious and growing with every brilliant pass or made basket. Whatever Geno worries about, it ain't how Crystal will do. ;)

Her stats this season reflect how incredible Crystal has become. Consider:

1. Three-point shooting - 52 made threes on 116 attempts or 44.8%. Opponents can't leave her unguarded. (Katie Lou and Kia make 46.2% and 45.5%.)
2. Assist-to-turnover ratio - With 118 assists and only 42 turnovers, Crystal sports a 2.81 ratio. MoJeff had a 2.83 ratio her senior year.
3.Points - Her 289 points gives Crystal a 9.6 per game average over 30 games. She is already 100 points ahead of last season.
4. Steals - Her 49 steals give her more steals than turnovers (42).
5. Free throw % - From last season's 59.3%, Dangerfield now makes 78% (21-27).
6. Balanced scoring - Crystal has scored 156 points from outside the 3 pt arc & 133 points from inside. Her 108 baskets passed last season's 73 some time ago.

So impressed with Crystal. As important as the Core Four are to UConn's success, Crystal may be the key to NCAA tournament wins. The fact that she is injured and still plays on is amazing..!!

Go Huskies..!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
View attachment 29188

I had the good fortune to attend the two Florida games for UConn recently (USF and UCF). Besides the thrill of seeing the Huskies up close, my biggest impression was the transformation of Crystal from unpredictable freshman to UConn's field general, with Geno's 100% trust. He gave her the keys to the car, the title, and an unlimited curfew. Two observations were most noticeable.

First, Crystal is as calm as any player to ever wear the UConn uniform. Nothing bothers her or impacts her mission on the court. She dribbles upcourt, at whatever speed she chooses, eyes up, scanning the weaving Huskies, looking for the tiniest opening to deliver a perfect pass. She seems completely at ease, despite the responsibility Geno has given her and the national stage she has to perform on. She is fearless, whether driving the lane amongst the trees or calmly putting up an NBA distance three-point shot. :cool:

Second, Geno seems to talk with her throughout the game. Often appearing to ask her opinion rather than give an order. The chatter doesn't stop, even when she is calmly dribbling the ball upcourt. The trust is obvious and growing with every brilliant pass or made basket. Whatever Geno worries about, it ain't how Crystal will do. ;)

1. Three-point shooting - 52 made threes on 116 attempts or 44.8%. Opponents can't leave her unguarded. (Katie Lou and Kia make 46.2% and 45.5%.)
2. Assist-to-turnover ratio - With 118 assists and only 42 turnovers, Crystal sports a 2.81 ratio. MoJeff had a 2.83 ratio her senior year.
3.Points - Her 289 points gives Crystal a 9.6 per game average over 30 games. She is already 100 points ahead of last season.
6. Balanced scoring - Crystal has scored 156 points from outside the 3 pt arc & 133 points from inside. Her 108 baskets passed last season's 73 some time ago.

So impressed with Crystal. As important as the Core Four are to UConn's success, Crystal may be the key to NCAA tournament wins. The fact that she is injured and still plays on is amazing..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Great post!

'Keys, title and no curfew' indeed! She was born to be a PG.

Dilly, dilly !

dillydilly.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago, she was elevating much more gingerly off the left leg when shooting layups from the right side, and also she almost never dribbled into the lane for pullup jumpers during that period.

Recently she has had much more spring in her step - her jumper is back on display and her 3pt % is back where it belongs.

I think the extended break should be just what she needs to be fresh for the NCAAs. Gabby and Lou, too.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
View attachment 29188

Go Huskies..!!

We were at those games too. You are spot on with your analysis. Crystal is in-charge on the court.

What impressed us abut Crystal, and UConn in general, is the speed at which they move on the court. They are lightning quick. Television broadcasts do not even come close to giving one the true sense of speed. The point of note seeing Crystal and UConn in person is Crystal's court vision and awareness. Her eyes are constantly scanning the court looking for the pass for a score or for her calling her own number and driving to the hoop for that little floater of hers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pretty much a clone of Jefferson.

That's why she was brought in. From the moment she committed, she was perceived by everyone to be Mo's heir apparent...............................shoes that she has more than capably filled. She can do most of the things that Geno liked and admired in Jefferson. Her learning curve is trending upward, and she's getting better. She's not done yet.

Her understanding of what Geno wants and expects increases with every game. Think about it, the more she talks and confers with him, the more she is going to learn and glean from him. Who better to learn from than the master Sensei Geno? And..................................she's going be be around for another 2 years. She'll be much better in November than she is now. Plus she'll have two years to mentor Christyn Williams before she leaves and passes the baton off to her. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Oh, she has fun out there. Check out her reaction heading back to the bench after her behind the back pass to Lou!
www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22392171

That pass will be on UConn's highlight reels for years to come. That pass got everyone in the arena fired up. That pass make me cuss out loud at home. :p The pass was perfect. The fact that Dangerous had the courage and moxie to make a pass like that shows us how comfortable and confident she is now.

Reaction Score
Yep!!! Pretty much. That's why she was brought in. From the moment she committed, she was perceived by everyone to be Mo's heir apparent......shoes that she has more than capably filled. :D
I think an interesting analysis would be a comparison between the two. Maybe Crystal is a better floor general. Maybe Mo had a better motor, although Crystal's getting better. Remember in the March to Madness Geno was ribbing Crystal for not picking up full-court after he just had a girl that did it every time. 3-point shooting: even. mid-range game: Crystal. Finish around the hoop- slight edge to Mo. On the ball, straight up D, "keep the man in front of you: edge to Mo, with Crystal improving. Remember the Texas guard McCarty hurt UConn. Miss St William hurt us.
After 4 years- Crystal mentioned in the same breath as Bird and Rizzotti, Mo a short notch below.
A few musings......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am thinking a lot about how Crystal will help C. Williams in her transition. I know how much she respects and likes to play with Crystal from her USA experiences and I for one think that was a significant factor (although when I mentioned it on the BY, I was kaboshed) for her coming to UConn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
13173652.jpeg

This photo epitomizes Dailey's effect on UConn's players and the program. They love her. This emotion by Alexis Gordon is impromptu and genuine. Note - Gordon is pulling her in with both hands. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Passes better than Jefferson
but MoJeff had this uncanny ability to sliver inside and score against the trees.

Not really that much alike.
100% correct. And Mo never spoke to Geno this much.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 29188

Go Huskies..!!
Excellent post and cleverly worded. She has surely earned the pink slip. I think Geno talks to her to keep Caroline Doty from fussing at him! Gives him an excuse to get up and wander.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think an interesting analysis would be a comparison between the two. Maybe Crystal is a better floor general. Maybe Mo had a better motor, although Crystal's getting better. Remember in the March to Madness Geno was ribbing Crystal for not picking up full-court after he just had a girl that did it every time. 3-point shooting: even. mid-range game: Crystal. Finish around the hoop- slight edge to Mo. On the ball, straight up D, "keep the man in front of you: edge to Mo, with Crystal improving. Remember the Texas guard McCarty hurt UConn. Miss St William hurt us.
After 4 years- Crystal mentioned in the same breath as Bird and Rizzotti, Mo a short notch below.
A few musings.
I don't know about that. Numbers wise Jefferson was pretty even or exceeded both Bird and Rizzotti. (best FG%, most Assists, fewest TO's, best A/TO ratio - wide margin, most steals, most blocks). Add in 4 NC's, and there's a pretty good argument Jefferson is the #1 PG at UCONN. (That's just UCONN though.)

Could change that around and say Bird and Rizzotti are just a notch below Jefferson.

Dangerfield still has 2 years though to improve, I think she'll be up there with those 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom