Crystal Dangerfield Waived By Lynx | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield Waived By Lynx

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
never been a fan of her, let's see where her coaching career would be if she didn't have 3 hall of famer's.
Oh! you do mean Cheryl. For second I thought you were speaking of Geno. What was Geno thinking when he asked Cheryl to join his Olympic coaching staff?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is a joke, just 3 days ago ...
Perhaps the WNBA are serious about placing the WNBA ahead of playing overseas, Were Crystal and the other late to training camp? No joke,

Reaction Score
Dumbest move Cheryl has ever made! Crystal had a great year in Israel. Someone smart will pick her up.
She’s most likely going to resign all 3 Clarendon , Dangerfiled and Davis on cheaper contracts after clearing waivers . Hoping other teams won’t offer more it’s a smart move when it Comes to
Salary cap everyone especially considering making room to bring on another impactful veteran if need be via trade. Otherwise Colliers new contract cost all 3 their current jobs when it comes to who can they afford versus who’s worth the cost of being affordable down the line of guaranteed years of money ..

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Let's see, Crystal was ROY two years ago, Clarendone was signed last year to give experience to the PG position, and ended up starting, replacing Crystal, and they bring back a player they had two years ago before she left for greener pastures. What the hell is going on there? On the other hand, the Sun could use another shooting PG to back up or play alongside Heidlemen and Jazmine Thomas.

Reaction Score
Per twitter she faulted the team for being "selfish" but decided to waive players on the basis of "numbers are numbers". Pretty confusing for the players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't believe that I'm the first Boneyarder to notice, but the Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that the Lynx have waived Crystal along with a few other guards including Layshia Clarendon, and have signed Odyssey Sims.

Only two years ago she was WNBA Rookie of the Year.

A quick look at their roster shows that no rookies made the cut. All 11 players are veterans. The Lynx has recently been a very hard team to make.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4 hall of famers Augustus, Whalen, Maya, and Sylvia.
The problem is the way the salaries for the contract are set. And the hard cap eliminates a lot of players. To keep the stars you have to pay max contracts which limits how much you have left to fill out your roster.
Plus every team has to have 11 players even if 2 of them seldom play.

Reaction Score
The problem is the way the salaries for the contract are set. And the hard cap eliminates a lot of players. To keep the stars you have to pay max contracts which limits how much you have left to fill out your roster.
Plus every team has to have 11 players even if 2 of them seldom play.
Starting to resemble the mens side. I like it! Real is real and equality (sucks)? If I were a billionaire, I’d start another league. World League!! All the top international teams. I’d call it EWBL! Elite World Basketball League! Formatted like soccer. You play your way in or out! Let’s goooo!
Relegation or promotion!

Reaction Score

But I kinda understand that it is hard. The roster spots is limited, to be a competitive team you need to keep the stars, to keep the stars you need to pay max. The rookies come every year but the spot is limited, either you cut the veteran or you cut the rookie. They need to expand the league.

Anyway Chiney herself is not even play a lot (I think she's more broadcaster now rather than a player) but she still occupied that limited spot.

Reaction Score
As you can see by my hesitancy, I was not sure of the rules. Thanks for the clarification. Any link to the summarizing rules?
Applies to players with 3 or more years of service. Does not apply to players participating for national teams with allowance for leaving up to two weeks before the start of their tournament/competitive games and they have 48 hours after their last game to report to their team again. Fines and suspensions are league imposed and mandatory so teams cannot do anything to keep their players from being affected.

2023 rules:
Fine of 1% of salary for every day of training camp missed due to playing obligations elsewhere, including fines assessed on players who are not under contract at the start of training camp, but sign later. There were about 60 players this year who this would apply to with half of them under contract at the time. Players who have playing obligations elsewhere on the opening day of the season will be suspended for the entire season or not be able to sign with any team if they are not under contract.

2024 rules:
Players with playing obligations elsewhere on May 1st (or opening day of training camp if that is later) will be suspended for the entire season or not be able to sign with any team if they are not under contract. Using this season's data as an example again, that would have resulted in suspensions for 16 players and ineligibility to sign this season for at 17 players, not including Erika De Souza and Erin Phillips who are listed on overseas team rosters right now, but have not played, although no WNBA team would be looking to sign either.

There should be some expectation that some leagues overseas will slightly tweak their schedules a bit to at least prevent players from being suspended.

Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve's comments are just bull-thit.
Kaizen, I concur with your opinion. Personally, I'm confused by the cuts the WNBA teams are making, because it appears that they're toying with the women's lives, as well as their income. Apparently, these releases are common for the W, but unfair to players, who worked so hard to get drafted, only to be released from the team(s) later on.
May all the affected players find better circumstances, where they can make some money while playing pro basketball.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Applies to players with 3 or more years of service. . . .

2023 rules:
Fine of 1% of salary for every day of training camp missed due to playing obligations elsewhere, including fines assessed on players who are not under contract at the start of training camp, but sign later. There were about 60 players this year who this would apply to with half of them under contract at the time. Players who have playing obligations elsewhere on the opening day of the season will be suspended for the entire season or not be able to sign with any team if they are not under contract.

2024 rules:
Players with playing obligations elsewhere on May 1st (or opening day of training camp if that is later) will be suspended for the entire season or not be able to sign with any team if they are not under contract. Using this season's data as an example again, that would have resulted in suspensions for 16 players and ineligibility to sign this season for at 17 players, not including Erika De Souza and Erin Phillips who are listed on overseas team rosters right now, but have not played, although no WNBA team would be looking to sign either.

There should be some expectation that some leagues overseas will slightly tweak their schedules a bit to at least prevent players from being suspended.
60 players is of order half of the players with three years' experience. I realize it's disruptive to the teams not to have key players around from the beginning, but the WNBA might be shooting themselves in the foot. I agree that some overseas leagues will adjust their schedules but likely not all, and the least likely to adjust their schedules probably are the most well-funded who pay the best.

There's a reason that players play overseas, and until the W can take care of that, I don't see the new policy leading to anything good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Chiney could make some room. :oops:

As far as I can tell, she has become an average (kindly) / injury prone player. (who has oodles of other money sources). Too connected to be cut I guess.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, and this is a big perhaps will Crystal play for the Lynx, they made their roster. Then they will be able to contract players for replacing unavailable players (injury or pregnancy)

Reaction Score
Kaizen, I concur with your opinion. Personally, I'm confused by the cuts the WNBA teams are making, because it appears that they're toying with the women's lives, as well as their income. Apparently, these releases are common for the W, but unfair to players, who worked so hard to get drafted, only to be released from the team(s) later on.
May all the affected players find better circumstances, where they can make some money while playing pro basketball.
The WNBA is probably the most competitive sports league in the USA for making a roster given that there are only 144 spots. Training camp will have all of the veterans not on guaranteed contracts plus hopefulls from previous years plus the current crop of draft picks. If anything, 3 draft rounds is too much; the overwhelming majority of them will be cut in training camp, including some first round picks. If anything, they should drop to 2 rounds.

Not sure how evaluating a candidate for a very competitive job opening is "toying with women's lives" and unfair to the players. No one is guaranteed a job in a pro sports league no matter how good you were in college. Followers of the WNBA know that getting drafted is by no means a guarantee that your name will be on a roster come Day 1.

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised she was waived, even more surprised when I see their roster seems to be short on guards. The small number of roster spots makes hanging on very difficult unless a player is a superstar or near it. She may be able to be a replacement player if someone is injured or out for other reasons (such as Collier) but it again underscores how difficult it is to hang around the league for very long.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Chiney could make some room. :oops:

As far as I can tell, she has become an average (kindly) / injury prone player. (who has oodles of other money sources). Too connected to be cut I guess.
Sad but true. I'm in LA,. I follow the Sparks in a "left-handed" kind of way. I have nothing for or against Chiney. Last season after a while, she wasn't really missed. You can't be missed if you're not there. You can't help your team from the "tub." She wasn't there. There are other players in the mix very capable of taking her roster spot. We'll see how her presence impacts the team. It would be a major accomplishment if she were to play the entire season without missing any games. The best "ability" is AVAILABILITY!! ;)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder how much of this is due to salary increases. It’s a good thing that the WNBA is paying people more, but, if the pie remains the same size, that means there will need to be cuts to compensate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom