Crystal Dangerfield named AAC preseason co-POY | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield named AAC preseason co-POY

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

UConn senior guard Crystal Dangerfield and UCF senior guard Kay Kay Wright were selected as Preseason Players of the Year after earning First Team All-Conference accolades last season. Dangerfield, a 2019 Honorable Mention All-American, paced the conference with 5.9 assists per game last season as UConn captured its sixth-straight American Athletic Conference title. Wright ranked fourth in the conference with 18.0 points per game as a junior, leading UCF to the American Championship final and the program’s first at-large bid to the NCAA Championship.​

Preseason Players of the Year
Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF
Crystal Dangerfield, G, UConn

Preseason All-Conference First Team
Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF
Crystal Dangerfield, G, UConn*
Megan Walker, F, UConn
Mia Davis, F, Temple*
Krystal Freeman, F, Tulane

Preseason All-Conference Second Team
Antoinette Miller, G, Cincinnati
IImar’I Thomas, F, Cincinnati
Christyn Williams, G, UConn
Dorian Branch, G, Houston
Enna Pehadzic, G, USF

*denotes unanimous selection

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

UConn senior guard Crystal Dangerfield and UCF senior guard Kay Kay Wright were selected as Preseason Players of the Year after earning First Team All-Conference accolades last season. Dangerfield, a 2019 Honorable Mention All-American, paced the conference with 5.9 assists per game last season as UConn captured its sixth-straight American Athletic Conference title. Wright ranked fourth in the conference with 18.0 points per game as a junior, leading UCF to the American Championship final and the program’s first at-large bid to the NCAA Championship.​

Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF

Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF
Megan Walker, F, UConn
Mia Davis, F, Temple*

Enna Pehadzic, G, USF

So the rest of the conference is throwing some shade at the Huskies as they are on the way out the door. Specifically, Christyn, maybe the best player in the conference, only 2nd team. At this point, it doesn’t really matter, but it’s never a good idea to “poke the bear” or, in this case the Husky.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So the rest of the conference is throwing some shade at the Huskies as they are on the way out the door. Specifically, Christyn, maybe the best player in the conference, only 2nd team. At this point, it doesn’t really matter, but it’s never a good idea to “poke the bear” or, in this case the Husky.
As Geno and Christyn have said, she plays better when she's angry. Look out AAC!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF

Kay Kay Wright, G, UCF
Megan Walker, F, UConn
Mia Davis, F, Temple*

Enna Pehadzic, G, USF

I would've expected Williams to be preseason POY over Dangerfield. That's my early pick at any rate.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope and expect Megan and Squeaks give Crystal heavy competition for conference PoY. Heck, I think Olivia could, too. I expect her to be defensive PoY.

Olivia will introduce herself to the AAC in ways she couldn't last year coming off the bench. THIS YEAR, she will introduce herself to teams "up close and personal." Hi, I'm Olivia, stay out of the key..........or else. ;)

I'm going to predict now that Christyn will be voted the conference PoY at the end of the season.
I say this because I think she'll be more aggressive and relentless than anyone else on the team. I think either she or Megan will lead the team in scoring. Dangerous is a pass first pg, and as such will facilitate her teammates. She'd rather have 15 assists than 15 points.

I doubt she'll be the game high scorer no more than 3-4 times. Liv has to be fed on the block. There will be trips down the floor she won't touch the ball. The 5th starter is still unknown, but I doubt she will put up enough shots to lead the team in scoring unless it's Ania or Westbrook, as both these players are use to play at this level, and won't be shy about pulling the trigger.

I think ONO can easily average a double-double (the easy part of that DD will be the rebounds), but she won't come close to leading the team in scoring as long as Squeaks is healthy and in the lineup. I agree with your expectations for Liv. She is going to be such a defensive presence on the court, it should be a no brainer that she's voted the conference defensive PoY.

She should be the most dominant post player in the conference this year. As the season progresses (and her confidence grows), the more "defensive" she should become. I expect her do display the "spoils" of associating with the USA National Team recently, and being groomed/tutored by all of the post players, but more specifically Sylvia Fowles and Tina Charles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Leaving Williams off the preseason AAC First Team was perhaps the worst thing that rival AAC coaches could have done heading into what will be a breakout season for the sophomore. Were the other AAC coaches not aware of what Williams was doing on the international 3x3 circuit this summer and fall? Williams' 3x3 skills will make her virtually unguardable on isolations against anyone close to her size. Look for Geno to take advantage of Williams' skills and strength against opposing guards this coming season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom