Crystal Dangerfield And The Husky Brand | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield And The Husky Brand

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Crystal started for the second time 2 days ago. She might have done a lot of things well, but for the first half she couldn't make a shot fall. Did she panic? Nope. She started dropping 3s and 2s at critical moments. When it was over the Lynx had won 78-69. She scored 11 of her 19 points in the 3rd.

"Afterward, Reeve said it was just another example of what you get when you draft a player from the Connecticut Huskies. In 2011, it was a rookie named Maya Moore, who led the team to four WNBA titles. Lynx fans saw that last year with Napheesa Collier. This year, Dangerfield.

“There is a maturity,” she said. “A temperament there that we saw with Phee. How she has a never-too-high, never-too-low way about her. Tough, relentless and coachable. Those things have helped her. She’s learning on the fly. There are so many things she doesn’t know. But she’s so competitive.”

This is what it means to be an elite program. Elite, complete players come out of the Husky program.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And as a PG on a team desperate for PG, the challenge is even larger than Pheesa's was and Reeves is clear on that.

Because she plays the point, Reeve said she has coached Dangerfield harder than she did Collier last year.

“She’s learning on the fly, and we need to be successful right away,” Reeve said. “Her ability to handle it, I would rate very high. Phee wasn’t afraid, [Dangerfield] has not been afraid.

Reaction Score
Great article. With the exception of NY which has many issues, the UConn heavy wnba teams are doing quite well.... It still shocks me why any recruit would choose any school besides UConn if they want a substantial professional career. I know I'm biased of course but the stats support it....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is a similar article extolling the Husky/Geno way:

"Dangerfield scored 13 points, making three three-pointers, in the second half to lead Minnesota to a come-from-behind victory. It’s rare to see that out of a rookie.

“Not this rookie,” Reeve said.

"The way (Huskies coach Geno Auriemma) coaches them and prepares them, this is when it shows. And Geno also recruits a certain kind of player. … They’re tough, they’re relentless and they’re not quitting. They’re coachable, and they listen,” Reeve said. “I think those things helped her.”

“Understanding that some things are just going to be trial and error until you figure it out,” Dangerfield said. “Just learning, coming in every day, things aren’t going to be perfect. But as long as you just get better, it’s like one percent better each day, I think that’s what I can focus on right now. If there’s one thing I can focus on to be better at each day, that’s what I’m going to do.”

https://the-boneyard.com/javascript:void(0)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Great article. With the exception of NY which has many issues, the UConn heavy wnba teams are doing quite well.... It still shocks me why any recruit would choose any school besides UConn if they want a substantial professional career. I know I'm biased of course but the stats support it....

To this casual observer, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Maryland all appear to have a number of alums playing well in the WNBA this season. UConn is not the only school to go to if a long, successful pro career is the desired result. None of those 3 are preferred teams of mine, I'm not biased toward them.

Also, if you are honest, UConn players in the WNBA are on a broad spetrum. Several MVPs and multiple time All Stars. A number of good solid contributors, some journeymen. And some players that are barely clinging to a roster spot and hardly producing, not to mention several that were huge bombs considering where they were drafted. Going to UConn is a guarantee of nothing as a pro.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To this casual observer, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Maryland all appear to have a number of alums playing well in the WNBA this season. UConn is not the only school to go to if a long, successful pro career is the desired result. None of those 3 are preferred teams of mine, I'm not biased toward them.

Also, if you are honest, UConn players in the WNBA are on a broad spetrum. Several MVPs and multiple time All Stars. A number of good solid contributors, some journeymen. And some players that are barely clinging to a roster spot and hardly producing, not to mention several that were huge bombs considering where they were drafted. Going to UConn is a guarantee of nothing as a pro.
Yes, its a guarantee of nothing as a pro. But the sheer number of UConn grads in the Association means you'll get a shot in the pros, no matter how brief the period. That in itself is worth more than just your scoff, and that is nothing more than most grads want.

Reaction Score
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck. If it passes the ball well, and if it shoots the ball well, and if it defends the ball well, it's probably a Uconn player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yes, its a guarantee of nothing as a pro. But the sheer number of UConn grads in the Association means you'll get a shot in the pros, no matter how brief the period. That in itself is worth more than just your scoff, and that is nothing more than most grads want.

Top prospects are going to have a very good chance of getting a shot at the WNBA, regardless of which school they choose. UConn certainly puts more than their share of players into the league, but I dislike the ideology that players are hurting their pro career if they don't choose UConn. It's pretty hard to prove. Some players thrive at UConn, some don't. Plenty of players thrive at other schools.

Reaction Score
Top prospects are going to have a very good chance of getting a shot at the WNBA, regardless of which school they choose. UConn certainly puts more than their share of players into the league, but I dislike the ideology that players are hurting their pro career if they don't choose UConn. It's pretty hard to prove. Some players thrive at UConn, some don't. Plenty of players thrive at other schools.
Come on man.... I never said it wasn't possible so don't project from my post. But if you just do the math, the UConn player development experience statistically puts one at a higher chance of getting one of the 144 available spots. No other school can come close. This year alone its I believe 17 playing and 4 starters sitting out. Thats nearly 2 teams worth! Let's add that the teams at the top of the standings all have at least 2 UConn players each. I know we are presently in a period where opinion seems to outweigh facts but there is no way to even spin that the UConn experience doesn't correlate with getting on a wnba roster.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

With the one exception that you will almost always become a pro. Go back and take a look at the HG top 10 rankings since 2008 and see how many "top prospects" that went to other schools didn't make AA or have a sniff of the WNBA. Then take a look at the "undervalued outside the top 20" rank that many UConn players were listed as and see how may are having a pro career. True you can get to the pros through many programs but UConn does a better job developing these players than other schools have.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay, I surrender.
Okay.
Now put your hands in the air (pahdnah). And wave 'em like you just don't care. Now if you have a dream, title for your team, then everybody say "OH YEAH!" (OH YEAH!), "OH YEAH! (OH YEAH!). Ya don't stop.

Reaction Score
I liked Dangerfield's game and hope she is a successful pro. Clearly UConn has had tremendous success at the pro level as those who pick them and stick it out four years have turned into terrific professionals overall. Of course there are some exceptions but the results speak for themselves.

I will of course say they aren't the only program where a top player can develop and go on to be successful in the W and abroad. Additionally I'm sure UConn has offered a few players who didn't wind up there for whatever reason and have gone on to be productive players and citizens. It's all about a player finding the right fit based on their personality, goals and program needs.

UConn's fingerprints will continue to be all over the league for many years to come.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't believe A. Wilson would be any better if she had played for UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't believe A. Wilson would be any better if she had played for UConn.
So its all speculation of course. I see that Wilson has been showing an outside shot. That is the one spot I think she'd be better at already if she went to UConn rather than a couple years into the WNBA. Again, all speculation.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Would you agree that choosing UConn seems to help players pro careers? Cheryl Reeves sure seems to think so.

Reaction Score
I believe as the older players retire we will see less and less Uconn players on WNBA rosters. They might still have a lot of players but not the the degree we see them now.

One of the reasons is that as the arguable best program in WCBB, Geno had his choice of players and so he was able to pick and chose who he would take. It wasn't just raw physical talent he used as his criteria to chose, but the right attitude and a desire to constanly improve. It is those qualities that carry over into what ever level a player plays in. Pro coaches knew this and that is why being an ex Uconn player carries so much weight. Regardless of ability it is a measure of desire and teach ability as well.

There are a variety of reason we will see a drop in Uconn players at the next level . The availability of other top programs has increased allowing talented players more options. Also the type of player attitude that Geno used to target is becoming more scarce. More players coming out of high school have already spent an insane amount of time with individual trainers developing skills. They have little ceiling left to develop so they are not in real need of a developmental college programe like the were in the past. Besides that many are already burned out and just do not want an intense program like UConn.

Geno and the program has not changed. I is still excellent. The change has been with the programs and players around them.

Reaction Score
UConn might have a little lull for a couple years but with the firepower over the next few years the numbers will eventually get right back there. There was also a lull between DT graduating and Renee graduating too. It happens.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...I will of course say they aren't the only program where a top player can develop and go on to be successful in the W and abroad. Additionally I'm sure UConn has offered a few players who didn't wind up there for whatever reason and have gone on to be productive players and citizens. It's all about a player finding the right fit based on their personality, goals and program needs.

UConn's fingerprints will continue to be all over the league for many years to come.
I am not saying I don't believe you, but could you cite some schools who have consistently produced not only pro-players but All-Stars? I would say Olympians as well but there is no other school that has done that thus far. From an All-Star perspective, I guess ND, Baylor have had more than a few. What about Stanford-who else besides Ogwumike sisters? I really do struggle trying to think of another school who can say, "Top player, come here and I will elevate your game to an All-Star level" and then have the history to prove it. Maybe back in the 2000's Tennessee could say it but alas, they have fallen on hard times, same for LSU and Duke.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe as the older players retire we will see less and less Uconn players on WNBA rosters. They might still have a lot of players but not the the degree we see them now.

One of the reasons is that as the arguable best program in WCBB, Geno had his choice of players and so he was able to pick and chose who he would take. It wasn't just raw physical talent he used as his criteria to chose, but the right attitude and a desire to constanly improve. It is those qualities that carry over into what ever level a player plays in. Pro coaches knew this and that is why being an ex Uconn player carries so much weight. Regardless of ability it is a measure of desire and teach ability as well.

There are a variety of reason we will see a drop in Uconn players at the next level . The availability of other top programs has increased allowing talented players more options. Also the type of player attitude that Geno used to target is becoming more scarce. More players coming out of high school have already spent an insane amount of time with individual trainers developing skills. They have little ceiling left to develop so they are not in real need of a developmental college programe like the were in the past. Besides that many are already burned out and just do not want an intense program like UConn.

Geno and the program has not changed. I is still excellent. The change has been with the programs and players around them.
I think the athleticism and the blue-collar work attitude that Geno looks for is a big part of what makes UConn players successful at the next level. But it is a mistake to disregard the value and the demands and level of instruction at Connecticut.

Geno teachers players to read and react. That is a core skill here which is invaluable at the next level. Auriemma also pushes players to play consistently at a higher level physically and mentally. We see the refrain time and time again with players saying “I thought I knew what hard work was, but I didn’t until I came to Connecticut.” Finally, playing at Connecticut is an experience that can only be matched at half dozen or so other programs around the country. You played before packed arenas and become instantly recognizable of the community. Understanding how to deal with that would certainly be a useful skill when playing at the next level.

So yeah, talent and work ethic of our recruits is certainly valuable, but those skills are honed over the next four years. It is a combination that few, if any, programs can match.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Would you agree that choosing UConn seems to help players pro careers? Cheryl Reeves sure seems to think so.

Coach Reeve's endorsement certainly helps make the case for UConn players.

My basic dilemma with this whole concept is that it's impossible to know how players would've developed if they hadn't chosen UConn, or vice versa, if players had chosen UConn. Unless you have access to alternate dimensions. :rolleyes: The sheer number of of UConn players in the WNBA compared to any other schools is certainly convincing.

Reaction Score
28 points today from Dangerous. Not bad for a rookie taken in the second round of the draft.
I hope she plays consistently well through the season. I don’t think she’s in the running for ROY. That seems destined for Carter right now. But I’d be happy for Crystal making the All Rookie team this season, as sort of a big *expletive* to everyone who passed on her in the draft

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom