Crux of the team's defensive issues | The Boneyard

Crux of the team's defensive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I can't remember a UConn team playing such poor defense (especially from 3). After watching all of the games this year in frustration, I believe the team's defensive woes can largely be attributed one main thing -- making defensive switches on the perimeter screens.

KO prides himself in playing 'position-less' basketball from the 1-4 spots on the floor. He thinks it affords our team flexibility... you'll notice that our guys don't work over or under screens on the perimeter when the opposing team sets good screens on the pick-and-roll. If the other team sets an effective screen, we switch constantly when defending on the perimeter. This is KO's coaching philosophy, but it's really hurt us this year with our young and inexperienced team.

I've noticed this constant switching on the perimeter causing nothing but issues for our team defensively.
The most common scenarios I'm seeing on the perimeter when screens are set:

1) Miscommunication for our team when to switch or when to work over/under screens. You'll see our guys pointing at the other team's guys, directing them who to cover. When there's a mis-communication, we end up either doubling the ball-handler or doubling the screener. Either of these errors result in an open man and a defensive break-down.

2) We successfully switch on the perimeter, but our slower-footed 3s and 4s are having to defend the opposing team's quick guards who easily get in the lane and then kick the ball out to open shooters. Defensively, we end up scrambling to defend the kick-out pass, and we don't close fast enough, or we over-commit and someone else gets in the lane for an easy bucket, or they kick out again for another open 3 point shot.

Other teams have undoubtedly noticed our failures defending the perimeter in pick-and-roll, thereby forcing the switches by setting screens to force bad match-ups for us defensively.

I can only assume that KO thinks he's helping the team out defensively by allowing the team to make defensive switches on the perimeter. In theory, it prevents guys from getting stuck working around screens, resulting in a sound defense. This scheme works well with an experienced and cohesive team that knows when their teammate is switching. However, currently, this scheme is causing constant mis-communications and bad match-ups on the perimeter for our young team. I believe this is the main reason for our poor 3-point defense.

I hate seeing us play zone defense, but our team has defended MUCH better this year when playing zone because it has resulted in fewer mis-communications and breakdowns that result from us constantly switching on the perimeter in pick-and-roll screen situations.

Hopefully the staff can figure this out and doesn't become reliant on this defensive scheme, because it's not working for our young guys. Thoughts?

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Good analysis.
I think Coach Ollie is allowing this team to work through these problems so that they will eventually be the fluid, cohesive team. Because that type of team can win championships.

Same thing on offense: Jalen is much more effective when he is in attack mode. But, unless a team has a surplus of talent, attacking all the time on offense is not a winning strategy in the long run. The 2011 & 2014 teams controlled tempo & time of possession.

Regrettably, these strategies have contributed to poor results so far. But, the season is still young and next year could be really special if the talent returns and all the players "get it".

Reaction Score
As pessimistic as I am right now, I do agree that Ollie's system is not one that can be learned, or polished, easily. Does that make it bad? Not sure, but if it's putting us behind the eight ball before the turkey hits the table, then maybe he needs to rethink it.

Reaction Score
They aren't very good right now. While Jalen is impressing the crap out of us on the offensive end he's as close to the other end of the spectrum on D. He is way too talented, long and smart to not be effective at the least and could be lock down. Needs to get that Ricky mentality and quit trying to figure out what the other 4 opponents are going to do and just guard his guy with out worrying about anticipating. He is the beginning of the domino effect often, but others are learning at the same time. I think they're just really young and will eventually be good. They don't have a ton of team speed but have some smart guys with good size who can still play solid D.

It's going to take time and more effort, concentration but they're going to get it eventually the program is all about D after all. And once again, a few bigs in the back just aren't good at help D and slow to respond which is a stronghold also.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OP nailed it. It was really evident against OSU, who just picked us apart. Often the big who was up guarding the screener backpedaled away from the guard before the person guarding him could clear the screen. Those bigs need to guard that 3 point line until the natural defender gets around the screen and then retreat. It's like they are terrified of the pick and roll, but nobody is actually running pick and rolls in the current college game. They are screening to free up three point shooters. I watched Jackson and Enoch both backpedal to the lane away from their man. Brimah, ironically enough, on the rare occasions he's out there, plays it properly and only heads back after the guard picks up the shooter.

Reaction Score
OP nailed it. It was really evident against OSU, who just picked us apart. Often the big who was up guarding the screener backpedaled away from the guard before the person guarding him could clear the screen. Those bigs need to guard that 3 point line until the natural defender gets around the screen and then retreat. It's like they are terrified of the pick and roll, but nobody is actually running pick and rolls in the current college game. They are screening to free up three point shooters. I watched Jackson and Enoch both backpedal to the lane away from their man. Brimah, ironically enough, on the rare occasions he's out there, plays it properly and only heads back after the guard picks up the shooter.

AB left the shooter early too, the first 3 of the game by Evans they all do it. He has gotten better and is the best of the bunch but even he doesn't get it. But having said that on occasion they are correct and the guard or wing in the play do not play their man right making the big gus decision tough. It's a slippery slope for them as hedgers in their defense they can look bad either way if the pass slips by, so sometimes best choice is to make them hit the 3. Against us it seems everyone makes them. But Steve is really a long way away on this part of his defense and really needs to get better with time.

Reaction Score
We have a lot to learn defensively which bodes well for 2 months from now, if we are still breathing.

Reaction Score
I can't remember a UConn team playing such poor defense (especially from 3). After watching all of the games this year in frustration, I believe the team's defensive woes can largely be attributed one main thing -- making defensive switches on the perimeter screens.

KO prides himself in playing 'position-less' basketball from the 1-4 spots on the floor. He thinks it affords our team flexibility... you'll notice that our guys don't work over or under screens on the perimeter when the opposing team sets good screens on the pick-and-roll. If the other team sets an effective screen, we switch constantly when defending on the perimeter. This is KO's coaching philosophy, but it's really hurt us this year with our young and inexperienced team.

I've noticed this constant switching on the perimeter causing nothing but issues for our team defensively.

1) Miscommunication for our team when to switch or when to work over/under screens. You'll see our guys pointing at the other team's guys, directing them who to cover. When there's a mis-communication, we end up either doubling the ball-handler or doubling the screener. Either of these errors result in an open man and a defensive break-down.

2) We successfully switch on the perimeter, but our slower-footed 3s and 4s are having to defend the opposing team's quick guards who easily get in the lane and then kick the ball out to open shooters. Defensively, we end up scrambling to defend the kick-out pass, and we don't close fast enough, or we over-commit and someone else gets in the lane for an easy bucket, or they kick out again for another open 3 point shot.

Other teams have undoubtedly noticed our failures defending the perimeter in pick-and-roll, thereby forcing the switches by setting screens to force bad match-ups for us defensively.

I can only assume that KO thinks he's helping the team out defensively by allowing the team to make defensive switches on the perimeter. In theory, it prevents guys from getting stuck working around screens, resulting in a sound defense. This scheme works well with an experienced and cohesive team that knows when their teammate is switching. However, currently, this scheme is causing constant mis-communications and bad match-ups on the perimeter for our young team. I believe this is the main reason for our poor 3-point defense.

I hate seeing us play zone defense, but our team has defended MUCH better this year when playing zone because it has resulted in fewer mis-communications and breakdowns that result from us constantly switching on the perimeter in pick-and-roll screen situations.

Hopefully the staff can figure this out and doesn't become reliant on this defensive scheme, because it's not working for our young guys. Thoughts?

I think we're switching more because our bigs can't hedge and recover to save their lives. There are plenty of teams that switch on every screen and are successful defensively, but we're not doing that either and I don't think that it's Ollie's coaching philosophy to do so. We're relying on the communication of the player getting screened, and right now it's not going well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Also I think a large part of our poor 3-pt defense is biting on pump fakes and over-rotating while in the zone.

We give guys more free air space than after 9/11.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Switch or no switch, I think they are just lax in covering the three. Get out on them!

Reaction Score

I agree with the main points you make. Just like on offense, where we believe you can't run NBA sets with non-NBA talent, the same with defense. You need a certain skill set to implement certain defenses. The constant switching and "help defense" requires a high alert, fast reacting, high IQ skill set. I am not sure we have that, at this point. Instead, we get beat, we are slow to cover or rotate and most important we are out of position. This is exactly why we are such a poor rebounding team. So, one way to try and mitigate this is to swallow the pill and take your lumps if we get beat. Stop switching and stay on your man and concentrate on keeping them in front of you. You get beat often, you get benched. If we can somehow properly implement switching, rotating and help defense, great. IMHO. Hope the coaches figure it out.

Reaction Score
It's bad switching, but it's also over-help. Countless times the ball enters the paint and one of our guys will fade down to try to poke the ball from behind, which leaves their man wide open.

Also, getting lost on assignments in transition

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
It's bad switching, but it's also over-help. Countless times the ball enters the paint and one of our guys will fade down to try to poke the ball from behind, which leaves their man wide open.

Also, getting lost on assignments in transition

The over-helping drives me insane. It also doesn't matter who has the ball. They over-help on every single player that touches the ball in the paint. They need to realize every player isn't Elton Brand. Let the bigs at least try to play defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom