Crunch Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crunch Time

Reaction Score
Lemme guess, you think we should've kept Ollie? lmao
OMG please stop this. Just because we are critical of Hurley doesn't mean we're Ollie sympathizers or we think Hurley should be fired. It's actually insane some of you people think this

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nah dude, it’s all good.... Team looks great.

We should just be happy we can field a team. I’m grateful they’re just on TV to watch

Hurley’s been awesome so far, get that guy an extension.
If your timeline is accurate, then this comment is much worse than completely unnecessary.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I couldn’t be happier with the team right now.

But because you’re so tough and demanding, and you called me a coward, which is especially offensive, here is my list...

Coach K
Nick Saban
Greg Popovich
Bill Belichik

might be tough to get one of them, but who knows

Wrong. Names of college basketball coaches, coward.

Reaction Score
Lemme guess, you think we should've kept Ollie? lmao
This might be a very difficult concept for your feeble brain to comprehend, but do you think it’s possible that the majority of us think Hurley is the right guy for the job but he hasn’t been great so far...

i know you might be stuck on the idea that if Hurley is the right guy, we can never say a negative thing again.

but just try to wrap your head around that, maybe write it down and sleep on it for a bit

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This might be a very difficult concept for your feeble brain to comprehend, but do you think it’s possible that the majority of us think Hurley is the right guy for the job but he hasn’t been great so far...

i know you might be stuck on the idea that if Hurley is the right guy, we can never say a negative thing again.

but just try to wrap your head around that, maybe right it down and sleep on it for a bit

What about tonight, Villanova, Wichita, Indiana, or Xavier makes you say Hurley is the right guy for the job?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Who said anything about bringing anyone in next year?

Team is awesome, 2 games over .500. Why would we change anything?

Loved the Wooden-esque move at the end to bring in the walk-on for the game winner... no one saw that one coming. Was brilliant
Not really. He should have been behind the 3-point line to close it out.

Anybody who's going to piss away a powerful Timeline telling by following up with increasingly inferior sarcasm should know as much, and call it a day sooner than later.

Reaction Score
What about tonight, Villanova, Wichita, Indiana, or Xavier makes you say Hurley is the right guy for the job?
Sample set for games is still too small.

Team is definitely more competitive, not getting blown out of the gym, recruiting classes have been strong, stop the bleeding on transfers, more engaged with the media, good story to tell for future classes with the move back to the BE given his background and east coast roots

No one here is calling for Hurley’s head. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of the 10-8 season

Reaction Score
Wrong. Names of college basketball coaches, coward.
It’s really hurtful when you call someone a coward in a message board over the internet

also, coach k is the head basketball coach at Duke University. It’s a school in North Carolina that fields a team in the ACC. Think that’s a name of a college basketball coach

But maybe replace the others with this Rupp guy who used to coach at Kentucky, or Phog Allen, i don’t think he’s at Kansas anymore. Maybe we can get him

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Be critical all you want of Hurley if you want, but why? When Calhoun came to UConn, Perno left him a future NBA All-Star and another guy drafted in the 1st round. Ollie left Hurley these two guys. This team is well-coached, it just has two recalcitrants with the ball in their hands all the time. His options are limited right now. This team reminds me of Scott Burrell's final year. He just chucked up brick after brick and there was nothing Calhoun could do.

Reaction Score
Be critical all you want of Hurley if you want, but why? When Calhoun came to UConn, Perno left him a future NBA All-Star and another guy drafted in the 1st round. Ollie left Hurley these two guys. This team is well-coached, it just has two recalcitrants with the ball in their hands all the time. His options are limited right now. This team reminds me of Scott Burrell's final year. He just chucked up brick after brick and there was nothing Calhoun could do.

If you want to blame Hurley, blame him for hitching his wagon to Ollie's guys and expecting to get a different result.

There's a reason it's called basketball IQ. It's innate. KO was horrible at recognizing it in recruits. There's nothing Hurley can do about it in our senior guards, other than playing different guys.

Reaction Score
but, but, but, the only reason we lost is because our walk on missed an open shot to win it!

Reaction Score
This team is going to be exactly what it is until this starting backcourt moves on. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise at this point is delusional. They shot 6 for 23 and had 9 turnovers. It's like groundhog day, over and over again.

It's time for Hurley to show that he can make some tough decisions that are in the long term best interests of the program.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There's nothing Hurley can do about it in our senior guards, other than playing different guys.
And I understand his hesitancy to do so, but the time has come. In the words of Rare Earth, "I put my faith in the people, but the people let me down."

Reaction Score
Hurley’s caught between a rock and a hard place. He has inherited a challenged back court with a limited ceiling. If he tells them to take a backseat, including a McDonald’s all American that the others consider a leader, he risks ruining team chemistry. It’s a tough situation, but he’s got this team in a situation where they were a few possessions away a top 25 team albeit now a couple of games away from 500. Not an easy situation, but his options are limited until next year. Let’s at least recognize how the culture from bottom up is changing and that we are now competitive against the best teams in the country. It’s frustrating, especially seeing the same exact sequence in final minutes with Vital and Al. But at the same time, if you remove those guys you risk damaging more and we would not be competitive with their D to even be in a position to win games vs Top 25 teams. The culture has changed, but the guys Hurley inherited have inherent limitations. And the guys he brought in are just Freshman.
it will happen, but this year is going to be frustrating because he has his team inches away from knocking off top 25 teams.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Sample set for games is still too small.

Team is definitely more competitive, not getting blown out of the gym, recruiting classes have been strong, stop the bleeding on transfers, more engaged with the media, good story to tell for future classes with the move back to the BE given his background and east coast roots

No one here is calling for Hurley’s head. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of the 10-8 season
I've written before in this forum that, while I'm happy with the progress the team has made in intensity and defense on the court, and the recruiting has stepped up nicely, there is room for criticism of players/Hurley (apportion blame however you like) for the end of game ability to win the winnable, and in general the structure of the offense. Hurley can't shoot for the players, but he has to help them to create better shots, and to recognize what for them is a good shot, and what is a bad shot. (Insert your Vital iso drive fave here).

So those on this forum who blindly are all in on Hurley should probably take a step back, support him and what he's doing, but continue to observe and see if those offensive and end of game flaws can be corrected. While it ain't all his fault, it also ain't all the players' fault. You all know that there are first and second year coaches who get their teams playing really solid ball on both ends quickly.

Reaction Score
I've written before in this forum that, while I'm happy with the progress the team has made in intensity and defense on the court, and the recruiting has stepped up nicely, there is room for criticism of players/Hurley (apportion blame however you like) for the end of game ability to win the winnable, and in general the structure of the offense. Hurley can't shoot for the players, but he has to help them to create better shots, and to recognize what for them is a good shot, and what is a bad shot. (Insert your Vital iso drive fave here).

So those on this forum who blindly are all in on Hurley should probably take a step back, support him and what he's doing, but continue to observe and see if those offensive and end of game flaws can be corrected. While it ain't all his fault, it also ain't all the players' fault. You all know that there are first and second year coaches who get their teams playing really solid ball on both ends quickly.
I tend to agree with this. For chemistry reasons, Hurley can't sit CV and AG at the end of games, but also, in my opinion, we'd definitely lose anyway if he did. They may be an absolute disaster in crunch time, but I expect Gaffney and Badams would be even worse.

Therefore the only hope we have is to leave them in there but somehow instill in them, through hardcore coaching (whatever that might mean) that drives and shots with miniscule odds of success will not be tolerated. It might not work, but no alternative plan would either.

Reaction Score
Keep hearing about chemistry issues which would be appropriate on a winning team but is there any chemistry left with this team. Understand Hurley is limited with this roster but our backcourt can't get it right, Carlton's regression and Polley's injury have taken away the chemistry we had at the beginning of the season after St.Joe's.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So those on this forum who blindly are all in on Hurley should probably take a step back, support him and what he's doing, but continue to observe and see if those offensive and end of game flaws can be corrected.
Step back my tookus. He's the guy for UConn. These late game "flaws" will be solved by attrition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom