Crowd Noise | The Boneyard

Crowd Noise

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Didn't see this elsewhere, did anyone else notice the "crowd noise" during the Villanova broadcast? It had to be canned ( recorded) since it didn't match the actual game. Does anyone know how many people actually attended the game? The announcer was live, but who was he announcing to? What are others feelings about canned crowd noise? How do you think it affects the players? Was this the only game so far with crowd noise?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Didn't see this elsewhere, did anyone else notice the "crowd noise" during the Villanova broadcast? It had to be canned ( recorded) since it didn't match the actual game. Does anyone know how many people actually attended the game? The announcer was live, but who was he announcing to? What are others feelings about canned crowd noise? How do you think it affects the players? Was this the only game so far with crowd noise?
Glad I was not the only one who noticed. To me it is terribly irritating and distracting. Once I noticed it it did nothing but bother me. They also tossed in some fake band noise.
I had a suspicion that the noises we hear are not broadcast in the facility but only added to the TV broadcast as a backgrounds but I suppose it would take someone who was there to confirm that.
One of the added benefits of no crowds is the ability to hear the coaches and players interact during the game. This only took away from that.

This was the first game that I noticed it. I don't think it was there in previous games.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Myself, and I have many other people on the BY say, that they often have hit the mute button during some telecasts......I would to hear ONE person describe the action on the floor....PERIOD............preferably not wearing a mask.

Reaction Score
I'm not commenting on the Nova broadcast specifically, but to your point. Regardless of the sport, I find the artificial noise not only annoying, but ridiculous and downright insulting. I don't need the noise to alert me to the ebb and flow, (nor do I need a commentator yelling it at me at a vein-popping pitch, but that's another thread), and as both broadcaster and listener know it's fake..., it's absurd! Furthermore, while I feared that some athletes might lack motivation without it, I've perceived that fear unfounded in watching events without any noise. If the athletes don't need it, I sure don't!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They've been doing it at NFL games, all season..so bogus...
I just turn off the sound...I don't need them to grasp the game
or maximize my enthusiasm.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I really object to canned crowd noise. I definitely prefer bottled. ;)

Reaction Score
Wish it drowned out the announcer repeatedly calling passes into the post an "inbounds pass". :confused:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The NFL and MLB did it fake crowd noise. Believe it it not, sports broadcasts without crowd noise seems weird to lots of people. Like canned laughter, I also find it more annoying than anything than it is any sort of necessity.

Reaction Score
The canned applause does nothing for me, but I do miss the crowds. As much as I like hearing the coaches. players and refs, sports are just more fun and exciting for me with live crowds who cheer and groan with me (while I'm yelling at the TV). :D

Reaction Score
The canned applause does nothing for me, but I do miss the crowds. As much as I like hearing the coaches. players and refs, sports are just more fun and exciting for me with live crowds who cheer and groan with me (while I'm yelling at the TV). :D
I agree! When my wife looks over at me yelling at the TV, I just explain to her that it's not my fault! It's actually Geno throwing his voice and I'm just 'mouthing' the words (like a dummy)! :confused:

Reaction Score
You had to know it was fake noise because, while crowds are often raucous at the beginnings of away games, when UConn establishes itself i.e., pulls away to a 30+ point lead, you can hear a pin drop. Usually.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom