Crowd Noise and Shooting | The Boneyard

Crowd Noise and Shooting

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on whether there is any impact of crowd noise (or the lack of it) on shooting percent, at least for some players. I wonder if playing in a pretty silent atmosphere reduces focus a bit during a game, making it feel a little like a pick up game for players who sometimes feed off a crowd.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I remember a study done many years ago on Men’s professional basketball that found players shot a better percentage from the FT line at away games when fans were booing and trying to distract them, then at home games when home fans were largely quiet during FT’s

So we’ve got cardboard cutouts. Maybe we need to add piped in crowd noise?

Reaction Score
I think this could be very true. And it could definitely have an impact on a young team, which we have. An older, more mature team, would be able to focus more.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe Evina spoke to this by saying without the crowds the team and players would have to create their own energy to get themselves going. I don't think the lack of crows have anything to do with it. Many people expected that shooting especially 3Pt shooting would be problem for this team this year. Some of the more astute posters eg., @UConnCat listed it as the #1 concern going into the season. Thankfully this should only be a 1 year problem.

Reaction Score
It is possible. But like Monte said, it should have no impact if a player's head was in the game. You have people at the park playing pick up basketball games and the wind is blowing. Those folks, after adjusting to the wind, can drop buckets left and right. Not really getting into the crowd noise and its overall impact on shooting.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on whether there is any impact of crowd noise (or the lack of it) on shooting percent, at least for some players. I wonder if playing in a pretty silent atmosphere reduces focus a bit during a game, making it feel a little like a pick up game for players who sometimes feed off a crowd.
Those of you who played basketball; what was your experience? I played basketball in high school in a PA coal town. There is very little to do in a coal town so all of our basketball games where basically attended by the whole town within the fire marshall's limitations. They would leave the doors open so the folks outside could hear and catch a glimpse of the game. During the game I heard my teammates and certainly our coach who possessed more than a little of Geno's game time emotion. But once the game was underway for me the crowd noise disappeared or maybe just became some kind of background static. It may be a function of focus and concentration either natural or learned. I suspect learned. Maybe the players minds just adapt to the noise. Most of times I shot poorly was when I was thinking too much or maybe doubting too much, but not because of the crowd noise. Perhaps you basketball players also experienced playing at ull speed but as you drove to the basket everything seemed to be in slow motion. I hear NFL rookies say their play improved because the game is slowing down for them. No doubt the UCONN players experience the samething relative to the speed of the game and perhaps the crowd noise. However may be the unconscious "feeling" of the crowd noise helps with their rythm of shooting.

My first year at an aerospce employer had 75 of us, all computer analysts and programmers, occupying one half of the 4th. floor. All of us at desks. No cubes. No partitions. Just a sea of desks. Yet somehow we cranked out very good results. At first the din was troublesome but one day the din disappeared just like the game slows down and the crowd noise disappears. We all seemed to get lost in our work.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Those of you who played basketball; what was your experience? I played basketball in high school in a PA coal town. There is very little to do in a coal town so all of our basketball games where basically attended by the whole town within the fire marshall's limitations. They would leave the doors open so the folks outside could hear and catch a glimpse of the game. During the game I heard my teammates and certainly our coach who possessed more than a little of Geno's game time emotion. But once the game was underway for me the crowd noise disappeared or maybe just became some kind of background static. It may be a function of focus and concentration either natural or learned. I suspect learned. Maybe the players minds just adapt to the noise. Most of times I shot poorly was when I was thinking too much or maybe doubting too much, but not because of the crowd noise. Perhaps you basketball players also experienced playing at ull speed but as you drove to the basket everything seemed to be in slow motion. I hear NFL rookies say their play improved because the game is slowing down for them. No doubt the UCONN players experience the samething relative to the speed of the game and perhaps the crowd noise. However may be the unconscious "feeling" of the crowd noise helps with their rythm of shooting.

My first year at an aerospce employer had 75 of us, all computer analysts and programmers, occupying one half of the 4th. floor. All of us at desks. No cubes. No partitions. Just a sea of desks. Yet somehow we cranked out very good results. At first the din was troublesome but one day the din disappeared just like the game slows down and the crowd noise disappears. We all seemed to get lost in our work.
My experience playing ball in HS & College was similar to yours. Once the game started I was completely oblivious to fan noise, or even the fact that there were fans present.

I was never good enough to take the time during a game to acknowledge the fans. I was too busy dealing with the other team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom