Cronin's technical with a few minutes to go. | The Boneyard

Cronin's technical with a few minutes to go.

Reaction Score
Loved it. Wish Ollie would learn this lesson. Technicals are tools. You use them to get calls and to put officials on notice. You use them to protect or motivate your team.

Cronin got that technical on purpose to put something in the mind of officials for future games. He wasn't just coaching this game, he was coaching the season. Sending a message.

If Ollie doesn't like a call, he complains to his assistant coaches. His team's don't get respect from the refs because Ollie doesn't DEMAND it. It's almost impossible to believe that after numerous years, KO hasn't figured this out.

Reaction Score
It seems like Ollie has really backed off the officials ever since his T during the Louisville game at Gampel in 2014 when he went crazy. I miss that fiery KO. One thing about Calhoun was that he would never give the officials a night off. You never had to worry about him because he was always on them all game.

Reaction Score
That firey version of Ollie from the Lville game in 2014, had it continued, may very well have led to better results last year and this year. Maybe not vastly, but I am sure better just the same. Players tend to take on the personality of the coach. For sure I believe that most of these players lack that fire and passion. I mean, when you can not even eke out enough pride to not get stomped all the time or beat Tulsa in the second game after being beaten in OT on the road, well...that says it all.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Perspective is an interesting thing. Most UC fans I know are tired of Mick acting like a lunatic on the sideline and throwing crazy temper tantrums at his players (and officials). Personally I find it infuriating.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Perspective is an interesting thing. Most UC fans I know are tired of Mick acting like a lunatic on the sideline and throwing crazy temper tantrums at his players (and officials). Personally I find it infuriating.
Cronin does it too often with the refs. Ollie has no reason to get a T this season. He has a reason to get into players faces and hold them accountable but is rarely seen

Reaction Score
If only KO knew how to work the refs.we’d be a 5 seed.

It’s all part and parcel of the underlying problem. There’s a lot that goes into coaching successfully at the college level: scouting, recruiting, roster construction, teaching/skills development, managing team dynamics, strength and conditioning, game planning, in-game adjustments, and yes, working the refs.

The “5 seed” joke is actually pretty good, but it’s only funny because the entire program is such a dumpster fire that we’d still be terrible even if we suddenly got good at doing any one thing. Which is actually super depressing.

Two years ago there was a lot of discussion on this board about KOs inability to work the refs. It was relevant because we were losing games by 4 points. We’re now routinely losing by 24 points so it’s not talked about as much. I guess that’s one way to silence your critics.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have KOs only two technicals been the epic meltdowns vs Louisville and Maryland?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cronin may yell and scream till his face turns purple but as Seth Greenberg said recently, he's the type of screamer that gets him no where with the refs. It is much like JC in his first half dozen years - the refs basically turned their backs to him.
It takes time - sometimes way too long of time- for a coach to build up a rep and get some calls for tantrums.
I love the statement that KO only complains to his assistants - quite obviously from someone who doesn't see many games live. TV shows you nothing. KO does plenty of barking and does it when the refs are near his bench, Yeah he doesn't storm out on the court likje JC or Cronin. And complaining to his assistants? EVERY coach does that.
There are plenty of things to beat KO on but this thread is crazy

Reaction Score
Cronin is like a little Calhoun. One hell of a coach and any Cincy fan wishing he’d leave need look no further than Storrs to see what could happen without him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom