Cronin: Jalen is "Barry Sanders w/ a basketball" | The Boneyard

Cronin: Jalen is "Barry Sanders w/ a basketball"

Reaction Score
That is a very apt description of Jalen's ability on the basketball court. With his speed, shiftiness, and acrobatic abilities in mid-air he can slice and dice through any team's defense. There was a point in the game toward the end of the 2nd half where he was determined to get to the rim and did so every time no matter how many Cincy defenders were locked in on him.

When Jalen is determined to drive and get to the rim he plays like an All-American. I remember the Oregon game in maui, he was very aggressive and drove at almost every opportunity and led one man fast breaks, that was one of his best games of his career. The problem has been that he seems too content to pull up and take long 2s. He has the ability to make those shots but he is much more effective when he tries to penetrate and score or penetrate and dish.

I hope Jalen carries over the attack mentality he had in the 2nd half of yesterday's game into next season, because if he does Barry, oops I meant Jalen, alongside Alterique and Larrier will be a nightmare for opposing defenses next year.

Reaction Score
That is a very apt description of Jalen's ability on the basketball court. With his speed, shiftiness, and acrobatic abilities in mid-air he can slice and dice through any team's defense. There was a point in the game toward the end of the 2nd half where he was determined to get to the rim and did so every time no matter how many Cincy defenders were locked in on him.

When Jalen is determined to drive and get to the rim he plays like an All-American. I remember the Oregon game in maui, he was very aggressive and drove at almost every opportunity and led one man fast breaks, that was one of his best games of his career. The problem has been that he seems too content to pull up and take long 2s. He has the ability to make those shots but he is much more effective when he tries to penetrate and score or penetrate and dish.

I hope Jalen carries over the attack mentality he had in the 2nd half of yesterday's game into next season, because if he does Barry, oops I meant Jalen, alongside Alterique and Larrier will be a nightmare for opposing defenses next year.

Barry had to give it up early. You can't expect Jalen to drive each and every time down. If he does that, people will sag off of him. His jumper makes his drives even more effective.

Reaction Score
The horrid 2nd foul call on Adams was the game changer. The replay angle was perfect to show the forearm shiver that Jalen took whil in perfect defensive position. That set the tone for the rest of the game.

Yep horrific call, then the same ref had a chance to make up for it, which they do like it or not, immediately on a potential charge call and he neglected to see it that way. Jalen also made a very bad decision on the 3rd foul and that was a game changer also, we could have stayed within reason if he finished the 1st half, but not at all on him. The 2nd call was the key.

Reaction Score
Barry had to give it up early. You can't expect Jalen to drive each and every time down. If he does that, people will sag off of him. His jumper makes his drives even more effective.
Barry didn't have to give it up early. He was still as good as anyone in the league, gave it up for different reasons. Agree on your overall point though.

Reaction Score
Mick has promoted other UConn players to the leave early for the NBA before, you guys letting this fly over your heads? :eek:

Reaction Score

I don't expect him to drive every time, but I think he is most effective when he establishes his offense with his driving ability. He has the ability to knock down a mid range shot even with a guy in his face, but thats not his most efficient offense. He is very efficient when he drives because of his physical abilities.

When your star player consistently drives to the rim, and consistently draws contact then he will consistently get to the free throw line. Thats what Kemba did, and thats what shabazz did. It got to the point where opposing defenders felt they couldn't even breathe on Kemba or Bazz without getting a foul.

There were many games this season in which Jalen shot very poorly which hurt the team, and so did kemba and bazz occasionally, the difference between the later two and Jalen (in terms of their offensive game) was that on poor shooting nights they were determined to get to the line and help put points on the board.

Jalen has all the natural abilities to be a star, an All American star, he has developed his 3 point shot, and he can break down any defender, the last major steps he needs to make before he becomes an All American is for him to be able to draw contact on his drives and get to the charity stripe minimum 5-6 times a game. Given all the close games we have had this year, every free throw makes a difference.

Reaction Score
Mick has promoted other UConn players to the leave early for the NBA before, you guys letting this fly over your heads? :eek:

Oh stop it Mau. I am not sure if you are even being serious. Jalen is not going to decide to go pro because Cronin gave him a compliment. KO has raved about Jalen's ability 100 times more, that doesn't mean he wants Jalen to go to the NBA.

Cronin made an apt compliment about our best player. Of course he's in a complimentary mood the refs just handed the game to his team, a team that UConn has knocked out of the conference tournament every year before last night.

Reaction Score
Oh stop it Mau. I am not sure if you are even being serious. Jalen is not going to decide to go pro because Cronin gave him a compliment. KO has raved about Jalen's ability 100 times more, that doesn't mean he wants Jalen to go to the NBA.

Cronin made an apt compliment about our best player. Of course he's in a complimentary mood the refs just handed the game to his team, a team that UConn has knocked out of the conference tournament every year before last night.

sarcasm;)....face:eek:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He didn't have to. He wanted to. He wanted to be able to live the rest of his life pain free, unlike pretty much all former longtime NFLers. He was really ahead of the curve on that way of thinking.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
please don't quote Cronin my friends, my respect for him is at an all time low

and yes, Jalen is amazing and he's already our next great leader

Reaction Score
I'm a big NBA fan and Jalen's game reminds me so much of Jrue Holiday. Holiday is sneaky athletic, solidly built, strong, a good but not great passer, who can get to the rim easily, but often chooses to pull up for jumpers. He's not a prototypical NBA PG, but can play as easily on the ball as off. I think Jalen has all the skills, but needs a little more experience and a better 3P shot, and he can make a splash at the next level.

Reaction Score
Keep some of what you learned this year - Jalen Adams - and then be free when you have a guy next to you that can distribute as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Gtcam - "Cronin is an egotistical maniacal idiot dressed up in a throwback Wizard of Oz midget wardrobe"
LOL great post! His team plays good ball. Always a "rockfight". Therefore it is only fitting that they have an obnoxious, big mouth idiot with a napoleon complex as coach. It really gets our fans juices going! It is always a highlight of my day when the posters get on him! He has replaced John Thompson the Elder as coach I really couldn't stand. Few coaches seem to get my goat but this guy does.

Reaction Score
I don't think knowing when to score and knowing when to distribute is Adam's issue. I think he's actually quite good there (although will likely continue to get better)...IMO, his biggest issue is not knowing how to draw contact and go to the line. He likes to avoid contact and try and make the shot...needs to at least learn how to fake being hit.

Reaction Score
Jalen and Vital are going to be a Sick duo next year. What a back court, if only we can find some big men

Reaction Score
Jalen is too good driving to the bucket. He needs to absorb contact not avoid it. He needs many more trips to the stripe. He needs to learn to take that little bump and draw the foul.

Right now, he is too good avoiding contact and getting to the rim.

Reaction Score

U want them to sag off..never stopped Rondo..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom