Criticize, and dissect,,,,,,, | The Boneyard

Criticize, and dissect,,,,,,,

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I don't live in Connecticut, so I read the Boneyard, to keep up with a lot of good information about the team. I have been a fan of Uconn women's basketball for over 25 years. I look forward to seeing every game, and went to every game they played in Florida, and I have seen them at Ohio State, and I have tickets to see the game at Xavier, a 4 1/2 hour drive and overnight stay. The team is going through a very difficult time right now. They are playing with major performers out. I accept that, and feel Geno is trying to put together a competitive team by tournament time. What I can't understand is all of the complaining, and second guessing of a coach, that has an unbelievable record. If you are Uconn fans, (I don't care how long you have been on the boneyard), you should be supporting this team and suffering with them. Not giving long dissertations and putting young ladies down, that are giving everything they can, every game. They are not enjoying losing. Please support them, and let Geno coach them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pointing out that certain players could have played much better is not putting them down.
Some of us will continue to support this way and will not lower the expectation because we know those same players are more than capable of achieving much more and playing much better . This is analogous to an "established" A student coming home with a report card filled with C. As the parent or fan of course you continue to support. As a fan or parent you would also be quite negligent not to point out that they are capable of achieving A and that the expectations are higher. Failure to point this out and your once A student might think that C is an acceptable grade. This is UCONN WBBs some of the effort and fundamentals in the Oregon game yesterday was just not acceptable and wouldn't even qualify for a C. None of us have a choice of who the coach is but I guarantee you Geno is a much harder grader than the BY posters.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I think it's time we come to grips with reality. When you lose 40% of your starting lineup (Paige and CW) and 75% of your bench (Azzi, Nika, and Aubrey), you are simply not going to be able to perform as well as expected. Bench players are pressed into service as starters and being asked for more minutes than the team can afford. Bench players are bench players because they can't contribute at the level of starters. To expect more than that because of our pedigree or our love for the team is just not reasonable. It would have been crazy to expect a win at Oregon even with Christyn. I expect at least 6, likely 7 loses this year. Believe me, the players are not satisfied with the results either, as a team or personally. I also expect that, with Paige and Azzi back and no more injuries or Covid disruptions, we'll be the most dangerous 5 or 6 seed in the tournament. That's not to say we'll win it or even get to the Final Four, but the opportunities should be there.

Either way, I'll be back for more next year.

Reaction Score
"Pointing out that certain players could have played much better is not putting them down."

If it were only that, Coco. Your post is objective and well-stated but I think the tone and manner of some of the posts are overly harsh and upsetting to us fans who love and support the players; especially while the sting of the loss is fresh.
One need only read Paige's father's tweet for perspective.

sun

Reaction Score
It would have been crazy to expect a win at Oregon even with Christyn.
I object.
You have no basis for making the statement except for negativism and pessimism.
If you look at the prognostication thread you'll see that a great majority predicted UConn would win before CW was announced as being under covid protocol.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I think it's time we come to grips with reality. When you lose 40% of your starting lineup (Paige and CW) and 75% of your bench (Azzi, Nika, and Aubrey), you are simply not going to be able to perform as well as expected. Bench players are pressed into service as starters and being asked for more minutes than the team can afford. Bench players are bench players because they can't contribute at the level of starters. To expect more than that because of our pedigree or our love for the team is just not reasonable. It would have been crazy to expect a win at Oregon even with Christyn. I expect at least 6, likely 7 loses this year. Believe me, the players are not satisfied with the results either, as a team or personally. I also expect that, with Paige and Azzi back and no more injuries or Covid disruptions, we'll be the most dangerous 5 or 6 seed in the tournament. That's not to say we'll win it or even get to the Final Four, but the opportunities should be there.

Well said.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
"Pointing out that certain players could have played much better is not putting them down."

If it were only that, Coco. Your post is objective and well-stated but I think the tone and manner of some of the posts are overly harsh and upsetting to us fans who love and support the players; especially while the sting of the loss is fresh.
Paige's father, pretty much said what I said.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the post.
To carry on from there I’ve been thinking for a while now that when Paige returns I’m going to sit back and enjoy her play and give her my support and silence any of my expectations l might’ve otherwise put on her
Didn’t post earlier because wasn’t sure if appropriate but after all these posts can’t help myself

Reaction Score
I think we all support the team which is why there is a board here. We care and as such have opinions. No matter what anybody reads on here, I am pretty sure GA says a lot worse to his players. I'm not criticizing GA, just starting what I believe is pretty obvious. Can get better if you keep telling the players they are great or they stink. Need to point out what they are doing wrong and how to improve.

On a positive only note, I like what I have seen lately from ONO and I like that fearless approach from CD. We are lucky to have such a good backup point in NM. When we are full strength, we can compete with anybody, maybe not beat them all, but we can compete and get back to a FF.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pointing out that certain players could have played much better is not putting them down.
Some of us will continue to support this way and will not lower the expectation because we know those same players are more than capable of achieving much more and playing much better . This is analogous to an "established" A student coming home with a report card filled with C. As the parent or fan of course you continue to support. As a fan or parent you would also be quite negligent not to point out that they are capable of achieving A and that the expectations are higher. Failure to point this out and your once A student might think that C is an acceptable grade. This is UCONN WBBs some of the effort and fundamentals in the Oregon game yesterday was just not acceptable and wouldn't even qualify for a C. None of us have a choice of who the coach is but I guarantee you Geno is a much harder grader than the BY posters.
Your analogy (I'll be polite) is incorrect. A fan is NOT a parent. You could say the coach is the parent and I'm sure there was plenty of "pointing out" after the game. A "fan" is more like a crazy neighbor who lives 3 doors down who is always trying to tell you how to raise your kid.

The "parent" and the "student" should pay no attention to the "neighbors" opinions/"expertise" :rolleyes: . For that matter, normal neighbors shouldn't either.

Reaction Score
I don't live in Connecticut, so I read the Boneyard, to keep up with a lot of good information about the team. I have been a fan of Uconn women's basketball for over 25 years. I look forward to seeing every game, and went to every game they played in Florida, and I have seen them at Ohio State, and I have tickets to see the game at Xavier, a 4 1/2 hour drive and overnight stay. The team is going through a very difficult time right now. They are playing with major performers out. I accept that, and feel Geno is trying to put together a competitive team by tournament time. What I can't understand is all of the complaining, and second guessing of a coach, that has an unbelievable record. If you are Uconn fans, (I don't care how long you have been on the boneyard), you should be supporting this team and suffering with them. Not giving long dissertations and putting young ladies down, that are giving everything they can, every game. They are not enjoying losing. Please support them, and let Geno coach them.
AGREED and well said. I don't post much here because of some of the negativity and constant second guessing. Support the team during the good and bad without the constant flip flopping after a win or lose......... Let the negative, who the heck are you comments begin......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Your analogy (I'll be polite) is incorrect. A fan is NOT a parent. You could say the coach is the parent and I'm sure there was plenty of "pointing out" after the game. A "fan" is more like a crazy neighbor who lives 3 doors down who is always trying to tell you how to raise your kid.

The "parent" and the "student" should pay no attention to the "neighbors" opinions/"expertise" :rolleyes: . For that matter, normal neighbors shouldn't either.
I quoted your post so I could Like it again +1,000

Reaction Score
I'm one of those who sees a huge difference between pointing out that a player was not at her best and personal criticism. The former is fine, the latter is not. But this is a place where fans live, an fans feel things very deeply. Losses hurt, especially when fans are used to not-losses.

Sometimes I think we expect that Geno, magician though he may be, can pull a rabbit out of the hat every time. This time, sadly, with so much of his lineup decimated by COVID and more, there is not only no rabbit, there is no hat. Someone in another post suggested that Geno has lost his fastball. Well, at a certain age you're expected to lose a little speed. I'm a bit older than him, and I can certainly talk about that. But he's wise enough to compensate in a number of ways, and I believe he has done that. But here's the deal: No one. Repeat, No one could take the events of this year and have done much better with them.

I believe UConn had a decent chance against Oregon if Williams had been in the lineup. It would have been a very tough game, but it would have been possible. The other losses? Given the players they'd lost, they weren't going to win against SC, and probably not against Louisville, no matter what. I was at the Georgia Tech game and what we saw that night was a team and coaching staff in shock. No one really knew what to do. It was painful to watch, but given what had happened to Paige and Nika just a short time before, I guess it was no real surprise.

Let's all take he words of Paige's dad as a reset. There will be better times, and we will be around to enjoy them. In the meantime, let's enjoy the time we have with the fine young women who suit up every game for the team we follow and support.

Reaction Score

Common or uncommon sense. Uconn is what it is not because of the players (all what's the number ? 12?) The team is more about who isn't capable of playing due to physical happenstance. Losses are to be expected until or unless AZZI, CW, Muhl, Edwards, Paige are all up to 98 percent capacity.
Who is at fault? No one!
If this team had all the pieces back and playing to full potential, pity women's basketball, it again would be BAD for them.
Some players now on the bench will be contributors in the next 2 years, but not yet. To expect some now sitting to suddenly become Dolson, Tina, or a Paige, or Sue just isn't reality. Uconn is what it is; at least until the wounded return and return fully functional. Until then, accept it---this is Uconn. You don't have to like it, the kids sure don't.

Reaction Score
No matter who is playing or who is out of the lineup, we critique whoever is on the court. If they play well, we praise. If they don’t, we pound. That is the way it is and has always been in sports and that is the way it will continue to be. Personal attacks are taboo but saying a player pooped the palace is a fan’s prerogative.

Reaction Score

What you say (actually type) is true, unfortunately. It wouldn't hurt if "fans" were just a little more "parent-like" and a little less "crazy neighbor" like.

Reaction Score
I agree with you a 1,000,000X

Reaction Score
I find that a lot of the harsher criticisms are posted here by people that are not UConn Women's Basketball fans and seem to have a need to try to make their favored team look better by comparison. Doesn't work in my eyes. I am a UConn fan and have been since I first saw them on MLK Day against Tenn years ago. I enjoy the give and take and the knowledge most fans add. I do bristle a bit when non-UConn posters start throwing out dislikes on a UConn board when someone thinks UConn could beat their team. I disagree with some posters but would not dislike their opinion unless throws shade on this program, team, or coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I find that a lot of the harsher criticisms are posted here by people that are not UConn Women's Basketball fans and seem to have a need to try to make their favored team look better by comparison. Doesn't work in my eyes. I am a UConn fan and have been since I first saw them on MLK Day against Tenn years ago. I enjoy the give and take and the knowledge most fans add. I do bristle a bit when non-UConn posters start throwing out dislikes on a UConn board when someone thinks UConn could beat their team. I disagree with some posters but would not dislike their opinion unless throws shade on this program, team, or coach.
RESPECT.gif

Reaction Score
Objective pluralism per Isaiah Berlin
'The fox knows many things...
The Hedgehog knows one Big thing'

Reaction Score

But UCONN's bench players ( with Piath perhaps excepted ) were all top recruits...among the best players in HS. Many were all Americans. So, this year anyway, we are not asking walk-ons to fill-in. I grant that college ball is a lot more challenging. But these are talented young players. Nevertheless, you are right. No chance against Oregon and, even with Williams back, I say no chance against SC on Thursday. But team can learn from the experience. And, with luck, by the igi Dance, we'll be loaded for bear ( or gamecock ).

Reaction Score
Well, sometimes the crazy neighbor is right. And sometimes they are not crazy also.

I'm a new fan but I definitely am a fan. I want the best for all the girls. Have any of them ever done ANYTHING that would make them unlikeable? Or not worthy of our support? I don't think so. I bite my tongue before ever saying anything negative but I can't help but analyze the games and see ideas for improvement. I try to at least say them constructively. No one wants to hurt these girls in any way and sometimes even the best intentioned of us can't help but do it and for that I'm at least sorry. I'll try to be better going forward.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
No matter who is playing or who is out of the lineup, we critique whoever is on the court. If they play well, we praise. If they don’t, we pound. That is the way it is and has always been in sports and that is the way it will continue to be. Personal attacks are taboo but saying a player pooped the palace is a fan’s prerogative.
So, for example, if you or another fan "poops the palace" as a critic of the team, any other Uconn fan can pound on you because of your negativity? You can critique a player's or coach's performance with a constructive purpose. Without that purpose, it's mere relentless complaining/bashing for personal satisfaction. Then I don't see the prerogative (i.e., a right or privilege).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom