Critical to win the National Championship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Critical to win the National Championship

Reaction Score
Not exactly. ND lost in the S16 last season.

More to the point, you said both teams could lose their best player -- Miles for ND and Hailey Van Lith for Louisville -- and still contend. Not sure for what but definitely not a national championship.
You replied while I was correcting a typo. I meant, and subsequently corrected it, that they both contended for the elite 8. I don’t know about you but in my mind, any teams that make it past the sweet 16 are contenders. What’s more, ND only lost to NC St because of Raina’s last second heroics. Louisville made it to the FF, which absolutely makes them contenders.

You may well think neither of them really had a chance to beat SC, and I’d probably agree. But that doesn’t change the fact that these teams were contenders, as was Creighton.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You replied while I was correcting a typo. I meant, and subsequently corrected it, that they both contended for the elite 8. I don’t know about you but in my mind, any teams that make it past the sweet 16 are contenders. What’s more, ND only lost to NC St because of Raina’s last second heroics. Louisville made it to the FF, which absolutely makes them contenders.

You may well think neither of them really had a chance to beat SC, and I’d probably agree. But that doesn’t change the fact that these teams were contenders, as was Creighton.
Oh my god. You really are something.

Forget the typos. Forget what the teams did last season. Forget if, fully healthy, they're contenders this season. Here's what you said 4 days ago: Teams like ND or Louisville seem best able to weather a loss of a primary player -- Miles or Van Lith for example -- and still contend.

That's the statement I responded to. You stated Notre Dame could lose Olivia Miles and still contend for a national championship. Not even the most ardent Notre Dame fan would believe that for one minute. Have you looked at their roster?

You said Louisville could lose Hailey Van Lith and still contend for a national championship. Again, not even the most ardent Louisville fan would say something so silly.

Reaction Score
I think Jim hit the nail on the head! This team clearly has the talent and if Paige were healthy I would be ready to bet pretty high on their chances for number 12. As it is, I’m confident they can win it all but in order to change the can to will, we need someone (prferably more than one) who can/will raise her game in the big moments. I’m hopeful that Caroline can be that player. I think she is the most likely because she showed it last season against DePaul. Obviously, Azzi is another possibility and don’t sleep on Lou.
I’m hoping Lou is what old timers used to call a “curly wolf”! She’s seen the varmint and been over the mountain. Obviously, this is just a hope and a wish, but she is 24 years old, a grown woman playing with (by far) the most skilled teammates she’s ever played with, who has a chance to accomplish something she probably never seriously thought was possible. I believe we’re going to get the upgraded version of Lou 2.0 and she could possibly be the difference in our quest for #12!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I offered an opinion. Disagree if you like. Save the insults and the condescension.
Opinions are great; we all have them. When challenged, supporting your opinion is better than playing rope-a-dope.

JMO.

Reaction Score
Opinions are great; we all have them. When challenged, supporting your opinion is better than playing rope-a-dope.

JMO.
Ok. Fine. Let’s recall the context you omitted: a discussion of what SC would be without Boston. A fair question when thinking about UConn without Paige. This led to the question of what the rest of the top ten would be without their best players. Iowa without Clark, Stanford without Jones, etc. In such a context, is it really so unreasonable (quadruple take unreasonable) to think that some teams might be less diminished by the loss of a primary player? If you don’t think ND and Louisville are those teams, propose others. If you don’t wish to, fine. And you can always pretend that others don’t have cogent opinions, or that they’re rope-a-doping. Whatever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom