Critical to win the National Championship | The Boneyard

Critical to win the National Championship

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe we all think the roster that we have is capable of winning the National Championship. Of course, there are a large handful of other schools that feel the same way, and they are correct. We have all been talking about if Nika can shoot consistently, if Lou can do for us what she did at Fairfield, if Azzi can have that breakout season if she has to play PG, is Ines the answer to backing-up our starting PG. No matter what the question is, we all agree that our backcourt is one of the best in the country right now, and if they perform the way we know they can, we will be successful. Now, just look back and remember how many times our backcourt has failed us, how many times when it seemed nobody could make a shot. It's more than you may think.
I believe the path to the NC runs through our Bigs. AE, Amari, Yanna, Ice, Aubrey, and Dorka. These girls were highly coveted players out of high school, in the US or internationally. Their collective talent is the best in the country, and if Geno and CD can get these players to play to their potential, there is not a team in the country that could touch us. We talk about Boston, but as far as I know, she only plays for one team. Even if Cardosa in paired with her, I think we have the talent that can knock them off. As far as anyone else, we should dominate. These Big girls are the key, rebounds, put backs, blocking shots, this will be our way to get to Dallas.
Our backcourt will be what it always is, hot or cold. Consistency in the paint is what can lead us, and this group will be critical to our success.

Reaction Score
Stay healthy and we can prevail. Losing Paige is a huge blow, but one thing you can say about UConn this year is that it is a deep squad., one of the deepest we've ever had. There are really talented bench players at every position, but we have to have Azzi and Caroline stay healthy- they are the keys to ultimate success.

Reaction Score
I wonder who really has a comparable back court. SC, Louisville, Texas, maybe Duke if Celeste Taylor comes back. Also UCLA, with Osborne Penn and Rice. Maybe Texas is the most interesting with Harmon Sonya Morris Shaylee Gonzales and Aaliyah Moore. Indiana added Sara Scalia

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder who really has a comparable back court. SC, Louisville, Texas, maybe Duke if Celeste Taylor comes back. Also UCLA, with Osborne Penn and Rice. Maybe Texas is the most interesting with Harmon Sonya Morris Shaylee Gonzales and Aaliyah Moore. Indiana added Sara Scalia
Just looking at the UCONN schedule alone UCONN is going to be challenged by these backcourts: Texas, NC St, Iowa, MD, ND & SC.
Maryland is especially intriguing to me because Brenda can essentially throw out 5 similar size guards (6'ish) in Meyers, Sellers, Miller, Briggs & Alexander- all capable scorers. Outside of the UCONN's schedule Oregon and Ohio State have terrific backcourts as well. Jacy Sheldon of Ohio State has got to be the most underrated and consistently overlooked player in America. Although Jacy was an AP Honorable mention last season she should have been an ALL-American with 19.7 PPG, 4.2 APG, 3.7 RPG 1.9 SPG.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
'IF'...
so many ifs, can't wait to turn those into 'IS'. I don't expect all those IF to IS transitions will go the way we hope, but it's always great to watch it unfold.

Reaction Score
Just looking at the UCONN schedule alone UCONN is going to be challenged by these backcourts: Texas, NC St, Iowa, MD, ND & SC.
Maryland is especially intriguing to me because Brenda can essentially throw out 5 similar size guards (6'ish) in Meyers, Sellers, Miller, Briggs & Alexander- all capable scorers. Outside of the UCONN's schedule Oregon and Ohio State have terrific backcourts as well. Jacy Sheldon of Ohio State has got to be the most underrated and consistently overlooked player in America. Although Jacy was an AP Honorable mention last season she should have been an ALL-American with 19.7 PPG, 4.2 APG, 3.7 RPG 1.9 SPG.
I’m not as convinced of the tenacity of the OSU backcourt and the competition in the Big10 is highly overrated. Sheldon is impressive, but it’s gets thin after her. And UM is big, but after Meyers and Miller, they look slow to me. That’s the danger of a big backcourt.

Who does NC St bring back besides Johnson and Rivers? Has James had an playing time? I suppose they could move Brown-Turner to the 2 spot if Rivers doesn’t pan out.

Reaction Score
Creighton (Elite Eight), De Paul (our 2 pt. win) and Villanova (beat us) prove that we have to worry as much about our own conference as we do about non-conference games. Nationally ranking and seasoning of players are the principle benefits of non-conference games. Conference games are really important as well and a consequential measuring stick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My thoughts.

For NC, Azzi needs to be 1st AA level. At least 2 players (from Dorka, Edwards, Caroline) need to play at a minimum 3rd team / Honorable Mention Level.

Not a historian but maybe someone can check what teams won a NC without a First team AA?

Reaction Score
Last year, injuries caused our offense to be inconsistent, not allowing UConn for most of the year to run its motion system. This year, if Nika hits her open 3's as she usually does and stays out of foul trouble, an unjuried Fudd hits her historical 40%+ on 3's, and Edward's physical presence continues, it will be difficult for other team to match up against the other players. If I was the other team, I would not want my 3rd or 4th best defender to have to guard Caroline 1 on 1. Most bigs are not quick enough to guard Dorka. Our defense should have more speed without last year's injuries. I don't feel we need multiple players to be exceptional, just most play up to their capability.

Reaction Score
If I was the other team, I would not want my 3rd or 4th best defender to have to guard Caroline 1 on 1.
My thoughts exactly. Who’s got three defenders who can handle Azzi Caroline and Aaliyah at the same time? Because these guys will be on the court together most of every game.

Reaction Score
Creighton (Elite Eight), De Paul (our 2 pt. win) and Villanova (beat us) prove that we have to worry as much about our own conference as we do about non-conference games. Nationally ranking and seasoning of players are the principle benefits of non-conference games. Conference games are really important as well and a consequential measuring stick.
True, the Big East has become more competitive, but UCONN will still dominate. Villanova was an aberration that will never happen again. I predict that we will be undefeated in the conference. We had several records that only we held that was broken last season. UCONN and UCONN will really strive that no more of our on going records are broken. GO HUSKIES!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Priority #1 1 if we are talking a National Championship for UCONN in 2023 is the entire team must remain relatively healthy.
UCONN had 48 player games lost to injury in the last season resulting in 6 losses. With Paige being lost for the season UCONN is starting the season with ~34 player games lost to injury.

Priority #2 is ALL the returning players have to come back improved above last season. Notice that I said ALL as to avoid certain posters attributing that statement to only their favorite player(s). Better health does not necessarily mean the players will return improved and I would cite Aaliyah Edwards funk at the start of last season had nothing to do with injury. UCONN graduated 3 players that included a 4 year starter (Christyn) , a 3 year starer (ONO) and part time starter and worse case 6th woman ( Evina) , therefore opportunities are very plentiful with this season's team.

Priority #3 is that the new additions must find a primary role quickly and play that role consistently. Those primary roles are ( Lou=Scoring: Ayanna=Rebounding : Ice= Interior scoring and Ines= Rest for ( Azzi, Lou and Nika). Although she is not a new addition to the team Aubrey returning to her old role as a game changing perimeter defender will be need at some point in the season as well.

Down the road and as a reminder there will be no Bridgeport or Albany Region this season which could be significant disadvantage for UCONN's national championships hopes or even a return to the FF. In 2023, the Sweet 16/Elite Eight will be held at two sites Greenville, SC and Seattle WA.

That's an awful lot of priorities, conditions, "Ifs' and things that would would have to go right for UCONN to achieve a National Championship in 2023 but I'm looking forward to the ride because for this program there is no other intended destination.

Reaction Score
That's an awful lot of priorities, conditions, "Ifs' and things that would would have to go right for UCONN to achieve a National Championship in 2023 but I'm looking forward to the ride because for this program there is no other intended destination.
It is a lot of IFs. But last year all the IFs broke against us and we still got to the NC. I don't see us having such bad luck two years in a row.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Priority #2 is ALL the returning players have to come back improved above last season. Notice that I said ALL as to avoid certain posters attributing that statement to only their favorite player(s).
Or the snipers that rarely say or post anything, mostly because they have little to contribute, yet find the time to give thumbs down to the most rational of statements. But again, everyone (everyone) must improve. Yet against the best of teams it's UConn's frontcourt that is going to have to either dominate or be just that much better in order to win a championship.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Everyone is overlooking North Carolina. Deja Kelly is one of the best pg's in the nation. She will be formidable!
Ustby is very underrated I think. + Todd-Williams and Hodgson, and whatever they get out of newcomers.

Arizona also has a potentially very good backcourt. A whole bunch of new pieces to blend together between transfers and freshmen, but certainly plenty of talent.

Reaction Score
I believe we all think the roster that we have is capable of winning the National Championship. Of course, there are a large handful of other schools that feel the same way, and they are correct. We have all been talking about if Nika can shoot consistently, if Lou can do for us what she did at Fairfield, if Azzi can have that breakout season if she has to play PG, is Ines the answer to backing-up our starting PG. No matter what the question is, we all agree that our backcourt is one of the best in the country right now, and if they perform the way we know they can, we will be successful. Now, just look back and remember how many times our backcourt has failed us, how many times when it seemed nobody could make a shot. It's more than you may think.
I believe the path to the NC runs through our Bigs. AE, Amari, Yanna, Ice, Aubrey, and Dorka. These girls were highly coveted players out of high school, in the US or internationally. Their collective talent is the best in the country, and if Geno and CD can get these players to play to their potential, there is not a team in the country that could touch us. We talk about Boston, but as far as I know, she only plays for one team. Even if Cardosa in paired with her, I think we have the talent that can knock them off. As far as anyone else, we should dominate. These Big girls are the key, rebounds, put backs, blocking shots, this will be our way to get to Dallas.
Our backcourt will be what it always is, hot or cold. Consistency in the paint is what can lead us, and this group will be critical to our success.
Bald Husky: I agree and disagree. I know what a true Uconn fan you are. So I must be putting my own twist on your words.
Our Back Court Has Failed us.. Certain NOT us if you include me. Last year CW was a bit on and off, Azzi and Caroline played injured--kudo's to them for that. And, they showed how great their talent and determination really is. Yea, I'm a cheerleader---I'm ashamed, @Tonyc just rubs off on everyone!!
So, while I believe all you say about the Big is correct, except the implied; the Bigs are the key to the NC obviously putting points on the board is of paramount. Lou (??), Azzi, Caroline, Ice (??), Nika, Aubrey (?) Edwards can build up a winning score.
Ameri is a ?, Ayanna is ?, November shall give us a real opportunity to assess what this team needs or doesn't need.
Every October, November I have a tendency to say, I like this team, I think the NC is a possibility but the FF is guaranteed and I will state that again with emphasis!!
I'll ignore defense because it shall be good or it won't

Reaction Score
My thoughts.

For NC, Azzi needs to be 1st AA level. At least 2 players (from Dorka, Edwards, Caroline) need to play at a minimum 3rd team / Honorable Mention Level.

Not a historian but maybe someone can check what teams won a NC without a First team AA?
I like your thinking but based on last season; Caroline put the team on her FRESHMAN back and won a few easily lost games. If that isn't on a path to AA I don't know what is. Remember she also played on one and 1/2 hips. A lesser determined kid may have sat out much of last year. (Ok, shoot me, I'm a Caroline fan).
I can't speak for all, but I believe you are correct as far as Uconn goes. The question is: Were they AA's before or after winning the NC?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hokay, I'll take my stab at this.

First off, as others have said, UConn needs to stay reasonably healthy. If Azzi and Caroline are close to 100%, that will be a formidable 2-3 punch. If Lou develops as some think she will, that will be a good rotation.

Assuming that Azzi and Caroline give us what we saw much of last year (I don't think that's going out on a limb), then I agree with the OP that UConn's success depends on post play. I think we all agree that rebounding is critical and was lacking at times last year. I think Ice and Ayanna will be instrumental there -- not necessarily playing 20 minutes/game themselves, but getting the other posts into good habits playing against them in practice.

But I think the other critical aspect of post play that's absolutely necessary is post passing. Olivia was good, but if someone can develop into a Stef-Gabby-type post passer, that will bode very well. There are great possibilities to pass to in the low post and multiple good cutters and shooters, so a big with good court vision and quick decision making could be the difference.

Reaction Score
I think Bigboote is on the right path. Our freshman, Ice and Ayanna will push the other bigs in the right direction. This is critical. Also, they will develop into a special twosome. Add Amari and we've got another Tass Force from back in the day!

Reaction Score
Hokay, I'll take my stab at this.

First off, as others have said, UConn needs to stay reasonably healthy. If Azzi and Caroline are close to 100%, that will be a formidable 2-3 punch. If Lou develops as some think she will, that will be a good rotation.

Assuming that Azzi and Caroline give us what we saw much of last year (I don't think that's going out on a limb), then I agree with the OP that UConn's success depends on post play. I think we all agree that rebounding is critical and was lacking at times last year. I think Ice and Ayanna will be instrumental there -- not necessarily playing 20 minutes/game themselves, but getting the other posts into good habits playing against them in practice.

But I think the other critical aspect of post play that's absolutely necessary is post passing. Olivia was good, but if someone can develop into a Stef-Gabby-type post passer, that will bode very well. There are great possibilities to pass to in the low post and multiple good cutters and shooters, so a big with good court vision and quick decision making could be the difference.

In the limited time we Amari, she showed some passing skills. And Dorka, as the year went on, showed she can find a player or 2.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the limited time we Amari, she showed some passing skills. And Dorka, as the year went on, showed she can find a player or 2.
Ice Brady also has shown a great deal of ability to operate from the high post as a facilitator. I doubt she will be as good a passer as ONO was but she might be more of an offensive thread in that she can put the ball on the deck, shoot the mid range and step behind the line and be a credible deep shooter.

Reaction Score
I think our backcourt can match up with any in the country. Of course, a cold night can happen to anybody (look at what happened Taurasi's freshman year in the final four) but if you have a good front court hitting the bunnies it can overcome even a bad shooting night as long as the defense and rebounding are up to the task. As we saw last year, our rebounding was our biggest liability. It gave them more offensive opportunities and us less. So I agree that the performance of our front-court is the key to winning 12.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like your thinking but based on last season; Caroline put the team on her FRESHMAN back and won a few easily lost games. If that isn't on a path to AA I don't know what is. Remember she also played on one and 1/2 hips. A lesser determined kid may have sat out much of last year. (Ok, shoot me, I'm a Caroline fan).
I can't speak for all, but I believe you are correct as far as Uconn goes. The question is: Were they AA's before or after winning the NC?
I would not even bring it up unless I thought each of the player's I mentioned can reach the level I think is needed. If they don't for any reason (injuries or otherwise), I don't see a NC happening and even a FF is rough.

Reaction Score
I would not even bring it up unless I thought each of the player's I mentioned can reach the level I think is needed. If they don't for any reason (injuries or otherwise), I don't see a NC happening and even a FF is rough.
I understand your concept.
I've reached a point in life where it is way too easy to take the lower (negative) road or (yes maybe in lala land) seeing the possibilities. I'm a Uconn fan for over 60 years. The men's team's I sat on hard wood bench seats to watch regularly I enjoyed. They had great years when they broke 20 wins. Now Geno has a bad year if he doesn't break 30.
So, Uconn's are my teams and I still BELIEVE until I can't. (edit) That darn @Tonyc keeps creeping into my brain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom