Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I don’t think we even played the clock. All game long Creighton blew up of our sets and forced us into late iso plays. Thats why we scored 20 points below our average and shot 35.7%. Only difference down the stretch was that they full court trapped which gave us less time. Cam/Newton started missing the tough midrange shots they made in the first half. Offensive rebounding and defense were 100% the factor in that win

Our defense was still pretty decent down the stretch imo, with maybe a few mental lapses. Creighton just started playing with nothing to lose and made enough shots to keep us awake

Reaction Score
Hurley must have hammered them on rebounding after the last game, creighton was one and done almost every time. Great to see
Maybe having DC back had a little impact????

Reaction Score
Giving a nod to the fans too. Gampel was electric.
Best reason to cut ties with XL center and play all home games on campus. Duke and Kansas don’t play half their home games away from campus.

Reaction Score
I must admit here that Newton had a decent game, especially in the 1st half. I do not understand why, late in the 2nd half, he did not lob it to DC instead of trying to make the layup himself and getting blocked....shades of AG there. The offensive foul call on him on the 3-pointer was the worst ref call of the game. Great win in spite of the many missed shots. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I must admit here that Newton had a decent game, especially in the 1st half. I do not understand why, late in the 2nd half, he did not lob it to DC instead of trying to make the layup himself and getting blocked....shades of AG there. The offensive foul call on him on the 3-pointer was the worst ref call of the game. Great win in spite of the many missed shots. GO HUSKIES!
Forget the lob, he should have pulled it out to run some clock. Newton is trying to get the whistle and tbf that is a foul in non-conference and a foul in any league except the Big East.

Hurley was right in the postgame, T-New has to change his approach to the refs bc for whatever reason they are not calling fouls when he draws contact at the rim

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It did when he was in, but I think he only had 4 rebounds. It was a team effort.
Can’t measure his impact with his stat line. He keeps the team loose and confident. We have been asking who was going to take on the leadership role on the team after AJ departed. There have been a number of names mention such as TN and AK. Last night I think we found out who our leader is. DH calls him one of the most impactful players in the country. So now we know it’s not just him on the floor. It has a lot to do with how he brings so much positive energy.

Reaction Score
The T Swift sing-along was okay, except for the fact that Pee Cee has been doing the exact thing for a few years now. Honestly in shock we didn't collapse after that
We will do whatever we want. We’ll take their song and sing it to them when we beat them. There’s nothing they’ll ever do better than us that we can’t just take from them whenever we feel like it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, i was baffled by Newton on that play. Go for the eay 2 on the lob. He was playing more selfish in the 2nd half and trying to get fouls on drives. I rather see the first half Newton the rest of the season than the one trying to force stuff that isn't there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah, Donny Marshall if he was calling the game would of been adamant that is big time kick out by Newton and a foul. He isn't a homer for sure. I hate when he calls our games.
He waxed on about Spencer I think in the Gtown game how he hated that the leg kick isn't called

Reaction Score
The T Swift sing-along was okay, except for the fact that Pee Cee has been doing the exact thing for a few years now. Honestly in shock we didn't collapse after that

Sure, PC is the only place that sings along with one of the most popular songs ever produced.

They're just the only ones who post YouTube videos of it like they invented it.

Reaction Score
I had about as good of view of it as you are gonna get, granted I wasn't nearly close enough to hear what was being said but what I saw: the ref was lecturing Tristen (that was not visible on TV broadcast obviously) and he was doing it for AWHILE. No clue what it was about, but it seemed he was only talking to Newton and no other player but doing it while he is at the line ready to take the free throw.

Maybe Newton had yelled at the refs about a call or non-call earlier, but Newton was lined up and every other player on the floor was lined up ready to go but the ref would not shut up. It wasn't as if anyone was holding up the game, it seemed it was just the ref getting his pound of flesh from what I could tell.
The ref kept motioning for Newton to step up to the line. It was so bizarre

Reaction Score
Does Donny have some lingering animosity toward the UConn program? Or is it just overcorrection so he isn't seen as a homer? He also said Omaha is his favorite Big East city by far. I know he's from the PNW (Seattle area), and sometimes those folks feel neglected by sports media and complain about "East Coast bias." But his roots in CT and the northeast go very deep now, so that seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I'd prefer Raff on the mike anytime over Donny!
I don't mind Donny overall, but he can be annoying sometimes. It seems like he is criticizing more than just analyzing what happens on the court. I know some analysis will overlap with some criticism, but the amount of criticism he produces is over the top. Raftery, Jim Jackson, and Jay Bilas are better on-air analysts IMO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Revisionist history. Okafor finished that game with 3 fouls. It wasn’t a good call by Calhoun to sit him for 14 minutes in the first half. It almost cost them the game.
He did the same thing with Caron and it did cost them the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom