Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I think we're defining things differently. Makes and misses when you know your team can shoot can be statistical anomolies. I don't judge that really when considering how we played on offense. We ran a very good offense and got a lot of really good looks. TO mean, that means we ran good offense.

Castle: he missed not just 3s, but some midrange stuff he's hit in the past. My guess is that (a) the excitement of the crowd and the #1 ranking may have had him a bit over-energized, and/or (b) Creighton sagging off him as much as they did may have gotten into his head. Both are fixable.
He also got blocked a couple times Castle. Glad he kept up his great D. It was a great win but still need Castle and Newton to have better shot selection. The team D and hustle on the boards is why we won. We had like 21 offensive rebounds which is amazing.

Reaction Score
Well that i why I said our offense wasn't great. We couldn't shoot even with all those open looks. I mean ten misses were from Castle who had one of his worst games offensively. He was great on D though.
It takes a little out of you when you completely lock up good scorers on the other end like that. We put them in a straighjacket, that kind of physical and mental effort on defense is bound to take something out of your offense.

Reaction Score
Even getting the worse side of the officiating again, it’s incredible what solid reffing does to the game.
Refs missed some but pretty solid overall. The newton offensive on 3 pointer was ridiculous. By the way, welcome back tristan. UConn is too athletic for creighton. Did not want to just jinx before game but they lack depth and athleticism

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tied for 1st place in Big East.
IMG_3858.jpeg

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the Newton offensive foul? The only recent UConn player I can imagine could be vertical moving into a shot like that is maybe Hawkins. I'm not sure what he was supposed to do.
Nobody thinks that was a foul except Val's boys in the b&w

Reaction Score
I like the optimism.

If they stay healthy, they should be overwhelming favorites to make the Final Four and favored to win the title. Tournament is difficult, and its very hard to unseat 1999 or 2004.

But, I'd take a title and a spirited discussion about it. :)
Or unseat to 2023. But like you said, I would welcome that debate here if UConn can win this year. I wouldn't give a fuccck if people anoint this year's team to the best ever UConn team. This is what is called champagne problems.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I like the optimism.

If they stay healthy, they should be overwhelming favorites to make the Final Four and favored to win the title. Tournament is difficult, and its very hard to unseat 1999 or 2004.

2023 isn’t in the discussion? Most dominant UConn tournament team ever right?

Reaction Score
All good. It could have been a 40 point blow out if they kept the wagon in Drive for the last 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
We ran exceptional offense up to the 5:30 mark.

We missed a lot of very very good shots. Happens sometimes. But I don't think it means our offense wasn't good.
This. Outside a quick deep jack from Newton and a couple sloppy drives, the offense we ran was very good. Tons of open shots (Castle looking at you) that were missed. Even Spencer was missing some of the step back 8 footers he never misses.

No problem with the offense, shots just did not fall at the normal. Oh well, its nice to blowout a top 20 team on nights like that.

Reaction Score
It takes a little out of you when you completely lock up good scorers on the other end like that. We put them in a straighjacket, that kind of physical and mental effort on defense is bound to take something out of your offense.
Obviously it was McDermott's defensive plan to do play Castle like he did AJ years past. Let him get his shot from the outside but play hard on everyone else on the perimeter. It didn't work as we were able to get rebounds and have extra shots.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I like the optimism.

A truly awful call. I'm shocked Hurley kept his cool enough not to get T'd up.
I think he was close to one though. But he stopped himself.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem entirely clear to me that the officials know what they're supposed to be looking for. I certainly don't.
Yeah wasn’t happy with John Gaffney (pretty sure it was him) making that call, but I’ll give him a mulligan since he’s generally one of the better refs.

Also since the start of the 13-14 season, we’re 33-4 in games he officiates, most notably the Gonzaga E8 game. Usually feel pretty good when I see him on our games.

I spent some time looking this up at one point last season when I noticed we win a lot with him. He’s undoubtedly my favorite ref; always took a couple minutes to come over and chat with us in the student section before games. Very nice guy. And as far as refs go, a good one.

Reaction Score
2023 isn’t in the discussion? Most dominant UConn tournament team ever right?
I love love love last year's team. I think they have more of a shot vs. 1999 and 2004 than 2011 or 2014 (2004 would run train on 2014), but to me they are a clear #3.

2023 was, in totality, the best team last year. Their run was amazing in the NCAAT. But they didn't play anyone all that good—they were underseeded (IMO by 1 line) and they got to avoid all 1 and 2 seeds. I think that has to play into our discussion of that run.

Now, they killed the overall #1 seed earlier in the year. But at their peak I think they'd give 1999 or 2004 a very good game and win some games in a seven game series.

Reaction Score
This is the defense I've been waiting for. Pretty hard to beat if they shut down the opponents top 3 players like this.

I would also like to officially petition the players that if they do a post game interview on TV, they must try to do their best sanogo impression.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom