Creighton beats DePaul | The Boneyard

Creighton beats DePaul

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think when we played DePaul, we were too cerebral about the match up and never really played with fluidity. I think if we meet them again in the Big East tournament, our shooters have to shoot the ball and be a threat from the outside. This will allow Olivia to be one on one with Morrow down low, in which case Liv will win that battle. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Creighton shot well and Depaul didn't. They also matched up better and outrebounded Depaul. Morrow had an insane game against us. It's tough to believe she would consistently be THAT good. She's great but insanely great is real tough to replicate.

Reaction Score
The Post Game Presser of UCONN vs Creighton had
the Creighton players expressing some resolve about
the need to rebound better = and they did !! against
DePaul. Great 4th quarter come back by Creighton...
and the game was in Chicago!!

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think when we played DePaul, we were too cerebral about the match up and never really played with fluidity. I think if we meet them again in the Big East tournament, our shooters have to shoot the ball and be a threat from the outside. This will allow Olivia to be one on one with Morrow down low, in which case Liv will win that battle. Just my opinion.

Agree. Apparently, this has happened a lot this year due to loss of actual game time, carryover from practice and major shifts with personal working their way into and out of the line-up. With Nika now playing good minutes and bringing to the offense what she brings to the defense our game flow seems much better. We are also being led by Liv and Westbrook in her more normal roll. Morrow is a strong small/big, a nice addition to the conference. Teams will adjust to her by preventing the pass to her, play in front of her or double team. This is where coaches step up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good news in all of this is, with 0 conference losses, UConn is a comfortable 1-seed for the BE tournament right now. Creighton, DePaul, Marquette & Nova all have 3 losses each in conference.

Reaction Score
Surprised that none of the bigger names have picked up Jim Flanery as their coach. The upper part of the central US is a tough place to coach (Note Moseley's 5-15 record at Wisconsin), particularly in women's sports. Few could take a group of short, relatively unathletic women and turned them into a top 40 team as Jim has done.

Reaction Score
Wow. Definitely a stunner. DePaul struggled knocking down shots. When Sonya Morris can't make shots, that hurts even more. But Lexi Held, Deja Church, and Aneesah Morrow, stepped up. Great win by Creighton. They played a great game.

Reaction Score

Offensively, perhaps, but defensively Morrow is a nightmare because of her explosive drop step and her Uber aggressive game. ONO can’t stop her without defensive help.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wow. Definitely a stunner. DePaul struggled knocking down shots. When Sonya Morris can't make shots, that hurts even more. But Lexi Held, Deja Church, and Aneesah Morrow, stepped up. Great win by Creighton. They played a great game.

The 30-0 points off bench, along with the 24-12 Creighton edge in the 4th, shows that DePaul's starters run out of gas in the 4th if other teams stick to their game plan (rebound hard, take it to the paint).
Bruno needs to get some depth to help out Morrow. And he's losing his field general, Held, after this year (unless she has a pandemic year....).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Surprised that none of the bigger names have picked up Jim Flanery as their coach. The upper part of the central US is a tough place to coach (Note Moseley's 5-15 record at Wisconsin), particularly in women's sports. Few could take a group of short, relatively unathletic women and turned them into a top 40 team as Jim has done.

Jim Flanery is a fine coach, as was Jenny B., when she was at Drake. It seemed to take forever for her to make the jump to P5 to Oklahoma (although she seemed to be waiting for the right situation.).

I've got to chuckle about the comment about "short, unathletic" women in the Midwest. Tell that to all the volleyball clubs and teams that feed tall, athletic girls to Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc. The B1G is HUGE in women's volleyball and the Badgers just won their first NCAA championship (over Nebraska). There was a full house at the final 4 in Columbus, Ohio, and it was rockin'.

Lastly, Wisconsin is a tough place to get going...Jonathan Tsipis, Mosely's predecessor, is a midwest guy and had a good run at George Washington, but he couldnt' turn the ship. There are players, but the contacts have to be turned and swayed....

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I agree a great win by Creighton, but from the box score it looks like DePaul only suited up 7 players. Their roster is 14 players. Hope it's nothing serious!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom