Creighton’s coach is phenomenal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creighton’s coach is phenomenal

Reaction Score
C’mon y’all dished it out when we lost to Nova, what comes around goes around… I’ve been civil while I could’ve been a lot worse!

You could have definitely been worse! You could have roasted us by reminding us about that one time in the last 25 years when PC made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament! Don’t do it to us!

Reaction Score
Man what a season, can’t wait for the BET, Friars will be well rested, healthy, studying gamefilm and ready to go with Durham back in the line up having the next 8 days off!! really hope we get to play you guys, will be a lot of fun!!
I got a lot of respect for PC, “lucky” or not. Their in game experience in close games will help. They just don’t want to walk that tightrope too much

Reaction Score
Hey Guys, I'm sure that you shooters out there notice that Andre Jackson is "guiding" all of his shots instead of shooting them, with a consistent flow. I saw him play in high school & he didn't "guide" shots as much back then. But now, after almost two full years in the Huskie system under Hurley & his staff, he's still guiding his shots with a terrible shot form, balance & release - & unacceptable results. WHY IS THAT?

It blows my mind that AJ throws up so many airballs & also misses terribly all the way left or right of the rim. UConn gave him a scholarship. Is "that" scholarship shooting form & results - for a guy who handles the ball so often? So now Hurley et al, you must coach him up to acceptable form, helpful numbers & into at least a minor two-point outside threat within the offense. AJ can get himself open with ease, but he can't finish anywhere on the court except for a dunk. What a waste!

AJ often floats effortlessly by everyone on the floor into the paint with ease, only to pass it out to UConn's other inconsistent outside shooters - because he has NO shot, & no confidence. And THAT's on the coaches!

We've seen stubborness & ego get in the way of many shooting styles over the years - keeping players from better results. Few change. But Lonzo Ball sure did, moving his release from the left to proper right side of his head on jumpers. With great results. Took him three years. AJ should call him for help. Over the years, many decent shooters became very good shooters through hard work. Great shooters are born that way I feel. UConn needs to get some of the "born shooters" who end up at Villanova, Davidson or even at a Creighton.

I do not expect Jackson to hit ANY three's for the rest of the season. It wouldn't even be a bonus, but a complete surprise. But when it's over, I expect him to spend the entire off-season putting in the kind of work that the best shooters who ever lived know you have to do, to seek advice from them, & be in Da Werth day & night re-learning how to shoot & to not 'GUIDE" the basketball on his shots, & to rebuild his confidence. Otherwise......we'll see him going 0-6 down the stretch as he did tonight against Creighton in a two-point loss, squandering the incredible athleticism that can so easily get him free or to the basket.

Put in the time, Andre Jackson! Your team REALLY needs shooters who are at least at "scholarship level." And new players will compete with you for your minutes. Otherwise? Transfer portal? UCONN NEEDS REAL OUTSIDE SHOOTERS who also have other dimensions to there games, DANNY HURLEY!!! -

Father Demo

PS: Work on some left-handed shots around the rim & also your left-hand handle too, AJ. You got all the talent to do it & help your team really succeed. - FD -

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know you guys didn’t get the W tonight but seriously don’t you love being back in the BE compared to the AAC, - there’s nothing like it!!
Oh God yes. It’s more bitter losing against these rivals, but jubilation from winning or bitterness from losing to a rival means passion. It is apathy and indifference that is the worst and that is what we had in the AAC

Reaction Score
this will be a template for how to play us moving forward
We said that last game against them and then we won 6 of 8 games before tonight.
All he had to do was wait for the Sanogo hedge and/or double and slip Kalkbrenner to the hoop. Hurley didn’t adjust. Game over.
The slip worked one time. Then we adjusted by having Polley show from the far corner the next time. It was good coaching and execution on the fly.

Look McDermott is a really good coach. Creighton didn't fire him for a reason despite him making a racial faux paus and it costing them their best recruit ever and a starting big man. But people pretending that Hurley didn't adjust or that McDermott didn't adjust to the adjustment, and then Hurley adjust to the adjustment weren't watching the game closely enough.

Here are coaching moves made by both coaches in pre-game or in-game today:
  • Hurley began the game aggressively pressuring their SG-turned PG, with hopes of both forcing turnovers now and tiring him out to commit turnovers later. It started working by end of 1st half.
  • McDermott used the same sag he used in the first game. Whaley and Jackson were even worse than 1st game from 3: 1/9 combined, all wide open. They go 3/9 we win. No Hawkins and Martin in foul trouble meant we pretty much had to play them.
  • Hurley ran a nice play with the uncovered because of the sag Whaley setting a pick for Cole to get a wide open 3. Ran the same play a few more times, but Cole either missed or the guy fought around the screen.
  • Then Hurley adjusted to sag by running spread Cole PnRs to take advantage of Kalkbrenner dropping in coverage. He brought us back into the game by making several mid range looks and 1 off the dribble 3.
  • McDermott adjusted by blitzing the Cole PnRs.
  • Hurley adjusted by immediately posting Sanogo 1v1 in the paint after the screen, the blitz allowing him to get deep position 1v1 with his best hand. He missed most of the shots (1/6 in the crucial stretch).
  • McDermott started slipping his PnR screens instead of trying to attack the hard hedge (hard hedge was working). They scored once, then we adjusted as noted above.
  • Hurley ran a beautiful play when we were down 3 with 1:45 left. It ran Polley off some screens, leaving Cole's man forced to help off him. Polley found Cole for the wide open 3. Clank.
  • McDermott ran a pet play and had his 3rd string PG run a 2 man game with Kalkbrenner and Sanogo got caught in no-man's land. Perfect alley-oop with Sanogo's hand in his face.
I'm sure I missed some things. Just what I saw 3 beers deep from live action.

Reaction Score
You could have definitely been worse! You could have roasted us by reminding us about that one time in the last 25 years when PC made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament! Don’t do it to us!
Stop living in the past, seems to be what you all do anymore… you’re back in the BE, it’s different now so live for the present and prove your worth going forward!!

Reaction Score
I got a lot of respect for PC, “lucky” or not. Their in game experience in close games will help. They just don’t want to walk that tightrope too much
Trust me I’ve nearly had to break out the Tums many times!!

Reaction Score
Stop living in the past, seems to be what you all do anymore… you’re back in the BE, it’s different now so live for the present and prove your worth going forward!!

Bigernmccrackenscared.gif

Reaction Score
Murray should be the designated reminder for Hurley to hand the whiteboard to Kimani if the difference is 5 or less with 5 min left LOL

Reaction Score
Murray should be the designated reminder for Hurley to hand the whiteboard to Kimani if the difference is 5 or less with 5 min left LOL
Did you not see the play we ran to get Cole the wide open 3 when we were down 3 with 1:45 left?

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget this guy coached his son to be one of the greatest offensive players in history. I don’t care who he played. He ended in the big east and dominated here too. Didn’t they win the conference with Doug?

Reaction Score
We said that last game against them and then we won 6 of 8 games before tonight.

The slip worked one time. Then we adjusted by having Polley show from the far corner the next time. It was good coaching and execution on the fly.

Look McDermott is a really good coach. Creighton didn't fire him for a reason despite him making a racial faux paus and it costing them their best recruit ever and a starting big man. But people pretending that Hurley didn't adjust or that McDermott didn't adjust to the adjustment, and then Hurley adjust to the adjustment weren't watching the game closely enough.

Here are coaching moves made by both coaches in pre-game or in-game today:
  • Hurley began the game aggressively pressuring their SG-turned PG, with hopes of both forcing turnovers now and tiring him out to commit turnovers later. It started working by end of 1st half.
  • McDermott used the same sag he used in the first game. Whaley and Jackson were even worse than 1st game from 3: 1/9 combined, all wide open. They go 3/9 we win. No Hawkins and Martin in foul trouble meant we pretty much had to play them.
  • Hurley ran a nice play with the uncovered because of the sag Whaley setting a pick for Cole to get a wide open 3. Ran the same play a few more times, but Cole either missed or the guy fought around the screen.
  • Then Hurley adjusted to sag by running spread Cole PnRs to take advantage of Kalkbrenner dropping in coverage. He brought us back into the game by making several mid range looks and 1 off the dribble 3.
  • McDermott adjusted by blitzing the Cole PnRs.
  • Hurley adjusted by immediately posting Sanogo 1v1 in the paint after the screen, the blitz allowing him to get deep position 1v1 with his best hand. He missed most of the shots (1/6 in the crucial stretch).
  • McDermott started slipping his PnR screens instead of trying to attack the hard hedge (hard hedge was working). They scored once, then we adjusted as noted above.
  • Hurley ran a beautiful play when we were down 3 with 1:45 left. It ran Polley off some screens, leaving Cole's man forced to help off him. Polley found Cole for the wide open 3. Clank.
  • McDermott ran a pet play and had his 3rd string PG run a 2 man game with Kalkbrenner and Sanogo got caught in no-man's land. Perfect alley-oop with Sanogo's hand in his face.
I'm sure I missed some things. Just what I saw 3 beers deep from live action.
I saw Kalkbrenner score 20 in the second half on almost all dunks and layups...dead sober.

Reaction Score
Did you not see the play we ran to get Cole the wide open 3 when we were down 3 with 1:45 left?
Listen, McDermott’s a great coach and Kalkbrenner is a solid center. Should he be allowed to torch us, including our (likely) first team BE F/C for 20 in a half and most of those down the stretch? IMHO, no.

Reaction Score
Jackson shot 6 3s. SIX!!! None were close

That’s coaching
1 was a running 1-hander from just over half court to beat the clock at halftime. Shouldn’t count that, but it barely hit the backboard, just like some of the others.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a coach for UCONN
Are you highlighting your omission with appropriate humility, or somehow criticizing me for noting your error and providing a source for improved clarity that you could use in the future for your benefit?

Reaction Score
Listen, McDermott’s a great coach and Kalkbrenner is a solid center. Should he be allowed to torch us, including our (likely) first team BE F/C for 20 in a half and most of those down the stretch? IMHO, no.
No. But those pretending we got burned by the same things over and over don't know basketball or weren't watching closely enough. It was a couple offensive rebounds, a slip, a roll, a fast break, a post up, a couple free throws, etc.

We adjusted to Kaluma killing us in the 1st half and Hawkins killing us in the 1st game. We made their 3rd and 4th string PG and Hawkins try to beat us with passes on the move over coverage after we'd been hounding them all game. They did.

Reaction Score
Agree on Kaluma and Hawkins. Agree to disagree on Kalkbrenner.

Reaction Score
As a coach for UCONN
Are you highlighting your omission with appropriate humility, or somehow criticizing me for noting your error and providing a source for improved clarity that you could use in the future for your benefit?
Simple. DH as UConn coach has not beat Mc Dermott. U
i don’t care if DH beat Mc Dermott while at RI. Simple statement DH has lost his 3 games if, not 4, against McDermott. One is an anomaly 3 or 4 is a trend. Hope not, but that’s my point

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom