CRDA Assails Cuts That Could Lead XL Center To Close | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CRDA Assails Cuts That Could Lead XL Center To Close

jho

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that the bipartisan budget agreement to be acted on later today, includes $40 million in bonding for the XL Center. Governor Malloy had initially sought $125 over the next two years but the Republican budget passed last month - that was vetoed by the Governor - included $0. Word is that the funding is being put in place as part of a strategy to pursue a sale of the facility.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that the bipartisan budget agreement to be acted on later today, includes $40 million in bonding for the XL Center. Governor Malloy had initially sought $125 over the next two years but the Republican budget passed last month - that was vetoed by the Governor - included $0. Word is that the funding is being put in place as part of a strategy to pursue a sale of the facility.

Reaction Score
The City of Hartford has bigger problems than the XL Center renovation or no renovation. Over 50% if the property listed on the Grand List in Hartford is tax exempt, and they don't have enough tax paying property to pay their operating expenses. Selling the XL Center will provide a piece of property to the city that is now taxable..since the CRDA is a tax exempt entity.

Reaction Score
The City of Hartford has bigger problems than the XL Center renovation or no renovation. Over 50% if the property listed on the Grand List in Hartford is tax exempt, and they don't have enough tax paying property to pay their operating expenses. Selling the XL Center will provide a piece of property to the city that is now taxable..since the CRDA is a tax exempt entity.

Any entity that buys the XL Center will make sure that a tax exempt clause is included as part of the deal.

Reaction Score
XL Center slated for $40M; headed to sales block

Has to be for sale by 6/30/19.

$40 million may be used for renovations and capital inprovements, including the aquisition of real estate.

Buying the atrium?

Ticket prices will also go up.
Budget calls for the elimination of the tax exemption of admissions tax on large arenas like DDP, XL, and WBA. 10% admissions tax will now go into CT general fund. Great.

No mention of lease extensions or talks dealing with UConn or Hartford Wolfpack

Reaction Score
Hartford's XL Center Arena Would Go On Block In 2019 In State Budget Proposal

Hartford’s XL Center — in need of a major renovation to make the arena viable in the future — would go up for sale in 2019 under a plan included in a state budget proposal that will be considered by the House of Representatives Thursday.

The state Senate passed a budget plan early Thursday that provides $40 million this year for both repairs and the purchase of the atrium and retail space off Trumbull Street that are adjacent to the arena but have a private owner.

House Majority Leader Matt Ritter said the thought is to purchase the space by the front entrance to the XL — now largely empty — and generate revenue to make the arena more attractive to potential investors. A portion of the $40 million also would be used for a patchwork of repairs, Ritter said.

“The thought here is that there might be a better response from private investors,” Ritter said.

If a buyer can’t be found, the renovations might attract private investors who would be willing to partner on the renovations.

The $40 million would have to be approved by the State Bond Commission.

Hartford's XL Center Arena Would Go On Block In 2019 In State Budget Proposal

Reaction Score
Go Duke! Now, that I have your attention... In the mid 80s Duke basketball was regaining its popularity. Their arch-rival had just built a shiny new 21,000 seat arena. Duke considered building a new arena as well. They certainly had the resources. They chose to put money into their 45 year old facility. They moved the students to court side, improved amenities and manged to squeeze in a few more seats. As a result they made more money. I don't think ticket prices offset the 12,000 extra seats but as demand went up so did the donations required to get tickets.

My point is... you may lose 5,000 seats if XL goes away, but you can create a better atmosphere and possibly make up the money by making some improvements to Gampel. Plus you are not subject to shifting political winds.

Reaction Score
Budget calls for the elimination of the tax exemption of admissions tax on large arenas like DDP, XL, and WBA. 10% admissions tax will now go into CT general fund. Great.

That tax exemption was a political item that was applied unfairly. I am a season ticket holder for Connecticut Tigers games at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. While the ballpark in Hartford received the tax exemption, Dodd Stadium in Norwich did not. So we had to pay the tax, while Hartford minor league game goers did not. No sense in that at all.

I have heard that the New Britain ballpark did not have that tax exemption until the Rock Cats moved to Hartford, and the tax exemption was applied to Dunkin Donuts Park. After that, New Britain got the exemption as well, as a sort of consolation prize.

Last edited:

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Go Duke! Now, that I have your attention... In the mid 80s Duke basketball was regaining its popularity. Their arch-rival had just built a shiny new 21,000 seat arena. Duke considered building a new arena as well. They certainly had the resources. They chose to put money into their 45 year old facility. They moved the students to court side, improved amenities and manged to squeeze in a few more seats. As a result they made more money. I don't think ticket prices offset the 12,000 extra seats but as demand went up so did the donations required to get tickets.

My point is... you may lose 5,000 seats if XL goes away, but you can create a better atmosphere and possibly make up the money by making some improvements to Gampel. Plus you are not subject to shifting political winds.

God if only we thought big.

Instead CT thinks UCONN is a pro sports team. Our football program is already limited by stadium location..If XL was torn down to ashes a lot of people would be happy.

On campus bball arena all day.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The people cheering the demise of the XL Center are going to end up figuring out way too late that it’s a terrible thing for the program.

They move to Gampel full-time and it’s D.O.A.

Reaction Score
An on campus facility for football and hockey would get the students out but there’s no money available. The state will give nothing and alums are not donating.

Reaction Score
I think ideally UConn plays 3-4 games at XL center and rest at Gampel. They don't pay any rent for games at GP and attendance at XL has been terrible.

Reaction Score
An on campus facility for football and hockey would get the students out but there’s no money available. The state will give nothing and alums are not donating.

I think you'd lose quite a few fans in New Haven/Fairfield counties as well. going to east Hartford is one thing, but there's no population center in Storrs, either. Most CT residents live in the south/southwest.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I think you'd lose quite a few fans in New Haven/Fairfield counties as well. going to east Hartford is one thing, but there's no population center in Storrs, either. Most CT residents live in the south/southwest.

Got to agree with this. Playing in Hartford is not ideal, but the drive out to Storrs is discouraging to many.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you count fannies in seats, XL attendance is at least double Gampel. Having all those midweek games scheduled there is a big mistake. But the good news is that the new lighting system makes it harder to see all the empty seats.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you count fannies in seats, XL attendance is at least double Gampel. Having all those midweek games scheduled there is a big mistake. But the good news is that the new lighting system makes it harder to see all the empty seats.
I would be very surprised if XL attendance is at least double Gampel. I'd expect XL to be more but probably closer to a third more. Say 7,500 - 8,500 vs 12,500 to 13,500. Keep in mind that the XL has a much higher overhead for us. So even where numbers are lower at Gampel, profitability may well be higher.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if XL attendance is at least double Gampel. I'd expect XL to be more but probably closer to a third more. Say 7,500 - 8,500 vs 12,500 to 13,500. Keep in mind that the XL has a much higher overhead for us. So even where numbers are lower at Gampel, profitability may well be higher.

That's why I said fannies in seats. The lower bowl of Gampel is sold out with season tickets but there are tons of empty seats during games, especially on weeknights.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Games in Bridgeport and Mohegan. Not optimal

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Games in Bridgeport and Mohegan. Not optimal

Seating capacities at both venues are the same as Gampel. If you live in Farifield county, and a lot of UConn fans do, Bridgeport is a viable option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom