Crazy Idea : Hail Mary attempt to spur Conference Realignment action | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crazy Idea : Hail Mary attempt to spur Conference Realignment action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doing this as a football only conference doesn't work because other than a handful of these schools, the majority don't have a place to park their non-football sports.

While the Big East MAY have an appetite for UConn & BYU currently has a home for their Olympic sports, nearly everyone else on this list has no home. Why would the Mountain West allow the majority of it's members to join another conference for football only?

There are enough schools on this list to form two separate non-fb conferences. The west teams can play each other. The east can do the same if they can't find homes.

Reaction Score
I got news for ya, if G5 programs got together and made a 10 member football-only conference, UConn probably misses the cut.

SEE ... once again, this is a reflection of ON FIELD performance; not Markets. I know ... I know. Northeast US is NOT supposed to be a College Football market. That's stupid. We have 39 million people in the NE & NY regions and 2 Private School P5s. That is a big enough hole for me to drive a freaking 18 wheeler through.

UConn should be at the top of the G5 look see merely on that. But, this is even more compelling: UConn has a Brand. First there is Metro NYC and NE; then, you have a huge sales point in Marketing - won by our Basketball excellence - that makes us a National Team. UCF? Boise? Colorado State? Temple? Are you kidding me? Yes, Diaco has to finally come to a point that we are better in football.

This thread, though, is realistic. There is a great chance that the B12 does nothing; despite raising expectation all over and giving sportswriters 80 columns to write. The obvious point? The Football Content of the next 12 Programs - National in focus - are not worth 1/12th of the lowest Power 5. Some distribution network should be able to monetize the G5 far better than the AAC or the MW is doing today. That, I think, is what the short time frame of the AAC media contracts were about.

Reaction Score
SEE ... once again, this is a reflection of ON FIELD performance; not Markets. I know ... I know. Northeast US is NOT supposed to be a College Football market. That's stupid. We have 39 million people in the NE & NY regions and 2 Private School P5s. That is a big enough hole for me to drive a freaking 18 wheeler through.

UConn should be at the top of the G5 look see merely on that. But, this is even more compelling: UConn has a Brand. First there is Metro NYC and NE; then, you have a huge sales point in Marketing - won by our Basketball excellence - that makes us a National Team. UCF? Boise? Colorado State? Temple? Are you kidding me? Yes, Diaco has to finally come to a point that we are better in football.

This thread, though, is realistic. There is a great chance that the B12 does nothing; despite raising expectation all over and giving sportswriters 80 columns to write. The obvious point? The Football Content of the next 12 Programs - National in focus - are not worth 1/12th of the lowest Power 5. Some distribution network should be able to monetize the G5 far better than the AAC or the MW is doing today. That, I think, is what the short time frame of the AAC media contracts were about.

That's exact the reason to do it. Viewership for AAC games aren't much worse than most games from the B12 or the ACC. With the new media distribution platforms looking for sporting content, the new league should work with them vs. ESPN or FOX to maximize exposure and value. Here are just a list of companies that could be or will be looking for live sporting content:

• Twitter
  • Google TV
  • Apple TV
  • Amazon
  • Hulu?
  • Netflix
There will be more since the cost to start a live Internet streaming company these days are much less than a cable company or a satellite company. The Internet is getting much faster as well. Among the schools above, there will be enough interest among a national fanbase to have more viewers vs. regional ACC football games for example.

It is ridiculous two games with similar viewers aren't being valued the same. That's exactly what ESPN is doing today. They are paying ACC 10x vs. AAC for a game with similar number viewers. UCONN and some of the best of G5 FB schools need to fix that. Remember P5 designation is something P5 conferences gave themselves. Once media payout dollars are closer, that P5 and G5 designation will also be blurring.

Reaction Score
I don't like making this Hunger Games ...

But the CONFERENCE nature of the American Athletic Conference & the Mountain West Conference (add it a few potential GROWTH factors - like Old Dominion or Southern Miss) is simply too large.

24. You might transition this into a Pod system (not bigger than the OP) ... and bring in some kind of EPL relegation system. If UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincinnati, USF, UCF ... then Houston, SMU, Boise, BYU, San Diego State, Colorado State (THINK MARKETS except Boise) ... with Tulane or others as some kind of wildcard promotion. You then have an active upwardly mobile grouping in far better markets than some of the existing P5. Net Net - this is worth far more than the pittance the current AAC or MW is getting through TV for football. Pulling along all 24 might have some viability; but, I simply think it is too much. Wyoming? San Jose State? Tulsa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom