Crappey Diem: WCBB Attendance [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Crappey Diem: WCBB Attendance [merged thread]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's what it looked like. ESPN the culprit? It is the NCAAs for crying out loud! And no one serves the blue plat special until at least 3 - 3:30. Is it spring break at UConn?

Reaction Score
I have always wondered why there isn't better attendance when you consider all the youth/recreational/school/church/etc girls BB teams that could attend games with their teams or families.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Per Raul:

Attendance stats for Friday play

C7NistWXkAEGzF6.jpg

That's so disappointing and attendance is down from last year. I know our attendance at USC was hurt somewhat by our MBB team also playing in the NCAAT the same evening about 100 miles away. Even so, the attendance is terrible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have always wondered why there isn't better attendance when you consider all the youth/recreational/school/church/etc girls BB teams that could attend games with their teams or families.

Actually wbb most of those kids are heavily involved in their own sports and they are involved every weekend.

Reaction Score
Hey, you drive your Eldorado into Chuckey Cheese's order line and catch a meal (that'll kill you :) )because you can't face your refrigerator and microwave, while I have to swoop from 2000 feet and pluck a trout out of water 18 inches deep or pluck a rodent of the ground or splatter on it AND you wonder why I always look pissed off!

What's wrong with fly fishin'?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What's wrong with fly fishin'?

Dry flies... heck yes ...nymphs, might as well be fishing worms on the end of a tree branch. But my swoop technique eliminates any doubt .. or almost any. I prefer at least 20 inches of water.

Reaction Score
Dry flies... heck yes ...nymphs, might as well be fishing worms on the end of a tree branch. But my swoop technique eliminates any doubt .. or almost any. I prefer at least 20 inches of water.

You got me w "nymphs". I'm still only seeing the good :cool:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As crappy as WBB NCAA attendance is - and especially when compared to the men's side - I am listing the WNIT attendances on a spread sheet. Yuck.

Reaction Score
You hit the nail on the head. This has been a frequent thread on the BY. The guys I attend with have said for a long time that UConn's marketing is pretty weak, at best. There are all sorts of tie-ins with youth groups, corporations and bus trips that could be arranged. I haven't seen an attempt to do anything by the University? I know Geno harps on the fall-off from the glory years, but things have changed. Take even yesterday. I realize the school was not in session, but the food court in the Union was closed except for Dunkin Donuts and maybe one concession downstairs? The lines at DD were really long. I spoke to a DD employee and they said the manager didn't even realize there was a game Saturday so they didn't bring in additional help! The University is partly to blame for a lot of this. I know this didn't impact yesterday's attendance, but in the future some people may not be willing to attend seeing what eating options were (not) available? They do surveys and I haven't seen one significant change? They need to hire an outside firm. There's absolutely zero reasons the place shouldn't be at or near capacity with the team we have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One point that is made in the article is definitely true, that being that the vast majority of those that attend women's games are over 50 and under 10. Pretty much the only members of that middle demographic that are in attendance are there with their under-10 kids.

Why are the seniors there? One reason is probably that it's an affordable sport to watch.

Why the absence of the huge age group in the middle? I believe that it's because women students and young adults are just not as interested in watching sports as their male counterparts. So, if they go to games at all, which they do far more than when I was young, it's to the men's games, where their male dates and husband prefer to go.

You make some good points, but let me add to it. By the way before all the macho men's fans attack me, my wife and I have men's and women's season tickets and have had them for approximately 25 years.
To me, the women's game is closest to what I grew up with ( and what I believe Naismith intended). It is more of a finess game played below the basket with an emphasis on passing and teamwork ( at least the way UCONN plays it). The men's game has become a brut force game of football in shorts ( there is no way to ref all the contact in its present form). The men's game has become someone dribbling around the perimeter lookin to either shoot a three or drive for a dunk.
As I've said before, one way to increase attendance at the women's games is too schedule more Saturday or Sunday games. Obviously it didn't work yesterday, but during the season even Geno has acknowledged it success. I think the problem yesterday is that our fans have grown weary of 1 vs 16 blowouts. I suspect Bridgeport will be sold out.

Reaction Score
When you have the conference tournament, 1st and 2nd rounds, and regionals all in one state people are going to pick and choose.

Reaction Score
It was spring break for Uconn. The student seats should be full tomorrow. Women/families and seniors plan on doing things months in advance. Not knowing what day and time an event is, is a huge problem with ticket sales. Especially when you had the very real possibility of another 9pm weekday game. 1st round game GUARANTEED TO be a blow out. Probably 2nd round too. (Thankfully it ended up being Cuse at 6:30)
Uconn not letting you know where your tickets will be in advance when buying the package...
If you want to sell more in advance, make it part of the season ticket packages. If by some miracle Uconn doesn't have the 1st 2 rounds give refunds or apply to following year.
I'm still doing OK with quality seats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom