CPTV Sports Channel | The Boneyard

CPTV Sports Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Today's newspaper carried an ad for the new CPTV Sports Channel. It mentioned that it would carry the Uconn Women's games live. Some cable systems are not picking up this channel, at least in the immediate future; I doubt whether Directv or Dish would either.
I believe we are all safe for this year, but down the road, who knows? I don't see why they would make changes to such a successful venture!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Today's newspaper carried an ad for the new CPTV Sports Channel. It mentioned that it would carry the Uconn Women's games live. Some cable systems are not picking up this channel, at least in the immediate future; I doubt whether Directv or Dish would either.
I believe we are all safe for this year, but down the road, who knows? I don't see why they would make changes to such a successful venture!

For now this channel is in addition to the main CPTV channel. It does not replace that coverage only supplements it. One can speculate way down the road what might be but CPTV will not limit their highly successful pledge base by broadcasting on a channel no one (or less people) gets.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i have a question about CPTV... not sure if anyone will read it in this thread but here goes. how successful are they compared with other public television stations across the country? i think they are the only ones who have reached out to a local sports team to cover all their games. has that helped make them one of the most profitable public TV stations in the nation?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The new channel carries high school and UHart sports. It also replays UConn games after the fact. As far as profitable, they brought Barney to public tv and I hear that has been pretty profitable for them.....

Reaction Score
i have a question about CPTV... not sure if anyone will read it in this thread but here goes. how successful are they compared with other public television stations across the country? i think they are the only ones who have reached out to a local sports team to cover all their games. has that helped make them one of the most profitable public TV stations in the nation?
That is a good question. It has often been stated that The Uconn Women's games have been the "most successful program on any PBS station in the country." Does that mean financially, % of viewers, etc.? In an article in the Hartford Courant last Fall, it was stated that Bob Yalen(former ESPN and ABC sports executive would be the director of the new Sports Channel. Also, of note, was that Lew Perkins(former A.D. of Uconn + Kansas) would be the chief fundraiser. It was also stated by Jerry Franklin that there would be "direct sponsorships" as well as fund raising and membership appeals. The article did say that they would televise "a few games this year."

Reaction Score
I am trying to get Cox to get the BIG 10 network channel for 2 years....Cox wont budge

Reaction Score
I am trying to get Cox to get the BIG 10 network channel for 2 years....Cox wont budge
I know what you're saying.....there are a lot of good games on the BTN quite often.

CPTV Harriet

Media Queen
Reaction Score
That is a good question. It has often been stated that The Uconn Women's games have been the "most successful program on any PBS station in the country." Does that mean financially, % of viewers, etc.? In an article in the Hartford Courant last Fall, it was stated that Bob Yalen(former ESPN and ABC sports executive would be the director of the new Sports Channel. Also, of note, was that Lew Perkins(former A.D. of Uconn + Kansas) would be the chief fundraiser. It was also stated by Jerry Franklin that there would be "direct sponsorships" as well as fund raising and membership appeals. The article did say that they would televise "a few games this year."
Hello 'Yarders.
I just saw this post and will try to consolidate all of the questions into this one answer.
On the original post: UConn Women's Basketball is not leaving CPTV for CPTV Sports. CPTV Sports is simulcasting all of our Geno Shows and games, and also replaying games. So let's settle that one right now!
As to the rest:
CPTV has the only contract of its kind for college women's basketball in the country. It has been (and still may be) singularly the most successful ongoing LOCAL initiative in the history of public television. That is measured in terms of ratings and in terms of dollars raised to support the initiative (which may also be one of the most costly local programs in the country). Ericsandiego asked if we were one of the most "profitable" stations. I can't answer that since the term "profitable" can be interpreted many ways. What I can say is that we are recognized as one of the handful of stations that also supplies and presents programming on the national level. We are known nationally for more than basketball.
That being said, CPTV is known far and wide by those involved with women's college basketball to be one of the reasons for the, growth, popularity and awareness of the sport. I just had the pleasure of meeting the great Nancy Lieberman who, when I introduced myself, commented on our program and what we've done to elevate the sport. That is the norm when I meet broadcasters, refs - just about anyone interested or involved in WBB. And Geno will tell you that CPTV and our broadcasts of the game, as well as our Hoop Streams service, is an important recruiting tool.
Now on to CPTV Sports:
Bob Yalen is indeed in charge of CPTV Sports and has set an amazing course for the station. In addition to many of the CIAC sports covered in the past by CTSN, he has made deals to cover a wide array of CT sports including basketball games from University of Hartford, Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Central...the list goes on. We will be covering all sorts of college, amateur and professional sports (Rock Cats, Whale and more). UConn baseball, men's and women's soccer, field hockey. Those sports that get very little attention. And of note for you, in January we will be airing the Hall of Fame High School Classic with one of the games featuring UConn recruit Breanna Stewart. There will be talk shows, documentaries and a whole variety of sports and sports-related programming. I cannot say enough about Bob and his vision for what the station will become.
CPTV Sports is not a commercial enterprise. It is a media service of Connecticut Public Broadcasting - one of our digital channels along with CPTV4U. As of now, it is only on Comcast and Cox, but a little birdie told me that it may soon be on Cablevision and over the air in HD. So there will be sponsorships and, at some point, membership requests. And yes, Lew Perkins has come on board to assist in fundraising. Give us some time and watch us grow!
If you have any questions, please contact me at askharriet@cptv.org. As always, I will respond to your messages.
From all of us at CPTV and CPTV Sports, we wish you all a very happy and healthy holiday season.

Reaction Score
Yes, by all means, I agree with Miss Harriet, UConn Women’s Basketball is a very saleable product, I see no reason that someone like Connecticut’s own Richard Kalt and his CRN multimedia Group does not pick it up and run with it. A slot on DirecTV and or Dishnetwork would be in order, especially if they used Nielsen’s figures. Then UConn would be an international promotional word to the delight of every Woman’s Basketball coach and serious player in the country…..
I can happen and probably would, as I remember ESPN back in the early eighties when they played music to fill air time!!

Reaction Score

Wouldn't this hurt their fund raising? If many cable systems as well as Direct TV and Dish do not carry the channel then how can CPTV cover their costs?

Reaction Score

Fortunately CPTV Sports will be broadcast over-the-air on channel 24-4 and can be picked up with the cheapest of set-top antennas with excellent quality. From what I understand, in addition to UConn basketball they'll also be airing Whale and Rock Cat games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom