OT: - COVID19 striking Florida Marlins BB team. [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT: COVID19 striking Florida Marlins BB team. [merged thread]

Reaction Score
It had to be expected. How long before MLB season is cancelled? . I desperately want to watch our UConn women play. I am embarrassed at how much I want this. But I want to protect their health and the health of their fans more.

Reaction Score
Miami is the epicenter of the Virus right now. They should be playing all the games in a remote state without much COVID. Maybe Montanna or the Dakota's

Reaction Score
Here it comes. 8 More Marlins players & coaches test positive, total now 14. They just played a series in Philly. Yankees game tonight in Philly now in question as Yankees have concerns about using the visitors locker room just used by the Marlins. And we’re 2 games into the season...

EDIT: Yankees-Phillies game tonight postponed.

MLB has 67 days to play 60 games. So when do postponements start to become forfeits? And who would forfeit the Yankees-Phillies game tonight, where neither team is at “fault”? Cluster---- situation all the way around...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many teams would have to be in quarantine before the season is cancelled ?
(Yes, I spell the past tense with 2 l's, even though I'm from this side of the pond. It looks better to me).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems that the WNBA is working out well - in a bubble. The NBA apparently will follow the same format. We've seen the same thing with pro tennis, even tho the formats are odd (it's team tennis).

Side note - for tennis, Danielle Collins (an American player) was dismissed from the entire tournament because she did not follow the "staying in the bubble" protocol.

My point is, for sports like the NBA and WNBA, where they can create a bubble for players, coaches, refs, etc., it seems possible. I can't see a WCBB or MCBB season unless we get a vaccine. It's great to plan and hope, but it doesn't seem like it will work with all the travel - home and away games, etc.

Of course I'm hoping for good things, and teams/players should continue to prepare for a season, but if MLB can't work it out, unsure how college basketball, football, etc. can work it out...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems that the WNBA is working out well - in a bubble. The NBA apparently will follow the same format. We've seen the same thing with pro tennis, even tho the formats are odd (it's team tennis).

Side note - for tennis, Danielle Collins (an American player) was dismissed from the entire tournament because she did not follow the "staying in the bubble" protocol.

My point is, for sports like the NBA and WNBA, where they can create a bubble for players, coaches, refs, etc., it seems possible. I can't see a WCBB or MCBB season unless we get a vaccine. It's great to plan and hope, but it doesn't seem like it will work with all the travel - home and away games, etc.

Of course I'm hoping for good things, and teams/players should continue to prepare for a season, but if MLB can't work it out, unsure how college basketball, football, etc. can work it out...

Guessing MLB will ultimately close out MLB regular season and try for some Bubble based extended Playoff system.

I had toyed with the idea on the BY (not well received) that CBB might be modified to having only conference championships in regional Bubbles and then perhaps a 32 team March Madness in one (or more) bubbles Forget Football. No way I can see any solution

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Guessing MLB will ultimately close out MLB regular season and try for some Bubble based extended Playoff system.

I had toyed with the idea on the BY (not well received) that CBB might be modified to having only conference championships in regional Bubbles and then perhaps a 32 team March Madness in some bubbles Forget Football. No way I can see any solution
Hopefully a vaccine will/would change all that. WCBB is not set to start until January. Still a LONG way away.

IMHO It makes sense for teams/players to behave like there IS going to be a season. Practice, work out, develop chemistry with teammates (all with safety in mind of course), and hope that come January, there will be an appropriate plan in place.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With news today that 14 Miami Marlin players & coaches have tested positive, the Marlins and Orioles have cancelled both scheduled games in Miami today and tomorrow. In addition, the Yankees game vs the Phillies tonight has also been cancelled. The Marlins played the Phillies yesterday despite positive test results.

The Marlins had one positive case on Sunday morning along with two other sick players. The MLB protocol calls for contact tracing and quarantine of all individuals until rapid testing can be completed. Since the Marlins had traveled together, that would presumably be the entire team. As a team, the Marlins decided to play yesterday without carrying out the full protocol, thereby exposing the Phillies while presumably also contaminating the visitors locker room where the Yankees were scheduled to be today.

I was so happy to be watching MLB, even with cardboard cutout fans and piped in crowd noise. I have no idea how this ends up.

Reaction Score
Sports without a bubble seems impossible to maintain. Florida Marlins with 4 players and 4 coaches resting positive

Yes, MLB - unlike the NHL and NBA - has a poorly thought-out plan. Not surprising considering Rob Manfred's lack of brains. Instead of being in a bubble, MLB players are constantly traveling through airports, switching hotels, going from city to city, and probably hanging out in clubs and bars.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, MLB - unlike the NHL and NBA - has a poorly thought-out plan. Not surprising considering Rob Manfred's lack of brains. Instead of being in a bubble, MLB players are constantly traveling through airports, switching hotels, going from city to city, and probably hanging out in clubs and bars.
There’s another issue here that reminds me of exactly why, a few years ago, the NFL removed the ability of the coaches to decide whether or not a player, after suffering a blow to the head, was good to go back and play, giving that responsibility to medical professionals.

When it was determined on Sunday morning that at least one FL Marlin had tested positive and two others were sick, there was no medical professional to step in and remind the team of the MLB protocol requiring quarantine and rapid testing of everyone who had come in contact with the sick players, or essentially the entire team. In stead, the players talked among themselves and decided to play. The FL coaches went along with that decision.

Subsequently, FL advised the Phillies of the positive test, but likely minimized the risk, leading the Phillies to believe the Marlins had followed the protocol, which they had not. As a result, the Marlins have exposed the Phillies, the umpires and anyone else they came in contact with to the virus.

This is exactly why the medical professionals have to be completely in charge of all decisions with regard to public health, whether it relates to sports, education or work.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They are NOT carrying through with many of the health guidelines which were originally discussed.
I have watched several MLB games the past few days.
Most of the players seem to be gathering in the dugouts much like they did last year; close together, no masks, slapping hands, etc..............I don't expect this season to last long.

Reaction Score
I think it will be played, but with no fans in the stands.
NCAA basketball can't play in a bubble. The risk they are taken being around so many people. At school, the arena, plane,hotel, restaurants and the other teams. I'm sure I am missing others. Now is not the time to get complacent! Look at those other states who did get complacent! Priority should be figuring out how to school these kids safely. Nothing else until we have the knowledge Personally I will miss CBB this year but the health and safety of the players come first.

Reaction Score
Here it comes. 8 More Marlins players & coaches test positive, total now 14. They just played a series in Philly. Yankees game tonight in Philly now in question as Yankees have concerns about using the visitors locker room just used by the Marlins. And we’re 2 games into the season...

EDIT: Yankees-Phillies game tonight postponed.

MLB has 67 days to play 60 games. So when do postponements start to become forfeits? And who would forfeit the Yankees-Phillies game tonight, where neither team is at “fault”? Cluster---- situation all the way around...
They should have moved the games to NY and played today. They don't have a lot of time for makeups. Are they going to have any doubleheaders at Yankee Stadium this weekend? Give each team more callups and get the games in now if it is good weather and playable.

Reaction Score
They are NOT carrying through with many of the health guidelines which were originally discussed.
I have watched several MLB games the past few days.
Most of the players seem to be gathering in the dugouts much like they did last year; close together, no masks, slapping hands, etc..............I don't expect this season to last long.
Maybe the Marlins will be a wakeup for the rest of the league. [ ]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They should have moved the games to NY and played today. They don't have a lot of time for makeups. Are they going to have any doubleheaders at Yankee Stadium this weekend? Give each team more callups and get the games in now if it is good weather and playable.
This is not about where the games are played. The problem is that the Phillies, unlike the Marlins, are actually following the MLB protocol which calls for anyone in contact with someone who tests positive must quarantine, get tested and test negative before being cleared to play.

So after the Phillies were exposed to the Marlins during the game on Sunday, when the Marlins did not follow the MLB protocol, all of the Phillies that played in that game, along with all of the umpires and any clubhouse staff personnel who came in contact with any of the Marlins had to be tested and the test results had to come back negative.

This process started yesterday and my guess is that all the results have not come back yet. Hence, both games between the Yankees and Phillies have been cancelled.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First the Orlando Pride of the NWSL and now the Florida Marlins, Must be the crazy hot humid weather that affects the decision centers of the brain.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Governor Cuomo of New York has just suggested to MLB that they could play ALL of their remaining games in New York.

Reaction Score
Governor Cuomo of New York has just suggested to MLB that they could play ALL of their remaining games in New York.
There's not really a home field advantage, so they should just play in the states that have things under control. Given that Connecticut is basically the only state that has contained Coronavirus, my vote is to play games at Dunkin Donuts Park.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Additional info from MLB on the Marlins. It was just announced that the Marlins next 6 games will be postponed while the team gets a handle on the situation. In addition, the Phillies will not only postpone tonight’s game with the Yankees in Philly, but also the 2 games in NY on Wednesday & Thursday. In order to provide some flexibility for later in the season, the Orioles, who were scheduled to play Miami, will now play NY in stead of the Phillies.

Confused? :confused:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom