COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 33 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Anyone take the class about the Wu-Tang Clan? Wasn't an easy A but I loved it.

Reaction Score
It usually takes about 10 years for a drug to be developed and approved for prescription. I wouldn't expect it to come anytime soon, if it comes at all (looking less likely to me). The Drug Development Process | FDA I don't think the issue is "finding the time".
More resources have been allocated to this than maybe anything else in our lifetime. This has helped expedite all the steps in the process including the final verdict. Pfizer appears to be furthest along toward full approval which could come as soon as next month but almost certainly by the end of the year. At least that's what I've been reading but perhaps something has changed??

Reaction Score
I was terrible at classes that relied on the recall of facts. Who can remember all of their members' names along with their aliases?

Wu-Tang, Wuhan and...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More resources have been allocated to this than maybe anything else in our lifetime. This has helped expedite all the steps in the process including the final verdict. Pfizer appears to be furthest along toward full approval which could come as soon as next month but almost certainly by the end of the year. At least that's what I've been reading but perhaps something has changed??

I got $5 saying Pfizer is approved in September 2021.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I was terrible at classes that relied on the recall of facts. Who can remember all of their members' names along with their aliases?

Wu-Tang, Wuhan and...

Haha I don't think we had to name all their aliases, there were too many of them. Got to watch a lot of old kung-/samurai movies as homework though so that was a nice break from my other "real" classwork. also kung apparently gets blocked by the profanity screen. who knew.

Reaction Score
I only took 1 HDFR course -- Human Sexuality with McDaniel (I think that was her name). Anyone from the late 90's knows. Hilarious class.
Less interesting, my HDFR gut course focused on basic personal/home financial management including balancing checking accounts. Figured both out before arriving in Storrs and Russian Chorus, Rocks for Jocks, and Kiddie Lit were more entertaining other semesters, but the 3 credit A helped.

Reaction Score
I got $5 saying Pfizer is approved in September 2021.
Running out of August, Sept works well enough. 1 less excuse, particularly in southern Mid Atlantic states, the Deep South across to Texas and elsewhere. Purportedly more effective MRNA against Delta likely follows PFE's formal FDA clearance, then eventually JNJ. NVAX? Seemingly even less likely OCGN? Effective therapeutics, time will tell.

EDIT: Possible full FDA clearance for PFE's SARS-2 vaccine early next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL

#1 - Homework assignment: Seek out REPUTABLE scientific research that unequivically & irrefutably shows that that SARS-CoV-2 is a man made virus. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT come back to the 'yard until you find and produce this evidence. Tweets from twitterbots and shared rambling conspiracy posts from Facebook do not count as reputable scientific research.

#2 - Every time a virus or bacteria mutates, it DOES NOT become stronger. Viruses and bacteria mutate literally millions of times over the course of their "life" and replication cycles. Nearly all mutations are harmful to them...and thus result in non-functional viruses/bacteria. Occasionally one happens that confers a survival advantage.

#3 - It is the height of ignorance and disingenuity to contend that the COVID-19 vaccines aren't going to help long term.

white men cant jump basketball GIF
You’re basing your info on a regular virus, not a virus that was created in a lab.

Reaction Score
People need to start being punished for this disinformation. There are limits to freedom of speech. lying about public health should be one

That or the guillotine

Reaction Score
With Jeffrey Ogbar? I took African American history with him and it was one of my favorite classes. He taught history of hip hop but it was only offered as a summer class when I was there otherwise I would have taken it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It literally resembles an entire class of viruses. Coronaviruses.

And none of them were this transmissible.

Our knowledge of coronaviruses only goes back about 55 years.

SARS and MERS had every opportunity to spread globally and never did.

I'm very interested in reading/learning more of how and why COVID was so much more spreadable.

Also very interested post pandemic of how long it took COVID to Peter out like the other coronaviruses have.

Reaction Score
I can't believe there's people out there who can say this with a straight face and actually believe what they're spewing

Because people like that only think of how their choices affect themselves anyways. Their sense of community and social responsibility goes as far as is convenient for them.

Reaction Score
Watched "In the same breath" on HBO tonight. A film made by a Chinese American woman about the start of covid in China and the US. Highly recommend it. Wow is China a shined up version of North Korea.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
With Jeffrey Ogbar? I took African American history with him and it was one of my favorite classes. He taught history of hip hop but it was only offered as a summer class when I was there otherwise I would have taken it.
My professor was Lee Aggison, he was a microbiology professor that just loved the clan haha.

phillionaire

Reaction Score

I'm very interested in reading/learning more of how and why COVID was so much more spreadable.

Also very interested post pandemic of how long it took COVID to Peter out like the other coronaviruses have.
SARS and MERS didn’t transmit as much as Cov2 because they were much more lethal. A virus of a similar class behaving differently than closely related viruses doesn’t mean that it was created in a laboratory.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
SARS and MERS didn’t transmit as much as Cov2 because they were much more lethal. A virus of a similar class behaving differently than closely related viruses doesn’t mean that it was created in a laboratory.

I never said it was created in a lab. That's beyond a weird comment.

Even if SARS and MERS were more deadly, those who had it had plenty of time to interact and pass it on to others. Speed of death between catching it and dying is one leg affecting how broadly a virus is transmitted. It's not the only reason.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I never said it was created in a lab. That's beyond a weird comment.

Even if SARS and MERS were more deadly, those who had it had plenty of time to interact and pass it on to others. Speed of death between catching it and dying is one leg affecting how broadly a virus is transmitted. It's not the only reason.
My b, my original comment that you responded to was to someone saying it was created in a lab so I thought you were arguing that insanity.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Interesting. I have a few thoughts regarding it. Maybe it makes sense to wait until the study is peer reviewed before putting too much faith in it? Wasn’t Oxford University partnered with Astra Zeneca in the development of the UK vaccine? As I read that story their claim isn’t that the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective, but only that after 90 days it drops to the same level of effectiveness of the AZ vaccine in cases of high viral load of the Delta variant. Those are some very specific claims that are different than the headline.

FWIW.

(But yeah, I will get the booster as soon as it’s available to me.)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Interesting. I have a few thoughts regarding it. Maybe it makes sense to wait until the study is peer reviewed before putting too much faith in it? Wasn’t Oxford University partnered with Astra Zeneca in the development of the UK vaccine? As I read that story their claim isn’t that the Pfizer vaccine is ineffective, but only that after 90 days it drops to the same level of effectiveness of the AZ vaccine in cases of high viral load of the Delta variant. Those are some very specific claims that are different than the headline.

FWIW.

(But yeah, I will get the booster as soon as it’s available to me.)

I've found throughout this whole pandemic that headline writers either 1) really suck at writing headlines, or more cynically, 2) write the headlines to drive fear and therefore clicks. For example, an earlier post in this thread links to a story with the headline:

Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection​

But when you read the article, everyone in the study previously contracted Covid, even those that got the vaccine. The real question of "What is more effective: getting the vaccine, or getting natural immunity from previous infection?" is not answered in the article. The headline is misleading.

It's really frustrating to read misleading headlines like that, because anti-vaxxers use them as ammo in their disinformation campaign.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've found throughout this whole pandemic that headline writers either 1) really suck at writing headlines, or more cynically, 2) write the headlines to drive fear and therefore clicks. For example, an earlier post in this thread links to a story with the headline:

Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection​

But when you read the article, everyone in the study previously contracted Covid, even those that got the vaccine. The real question of "What is more effective: getting the vaccine, or getting natural immunity from previous infection?" is not answered in the article. The headline is misleading.

It's really frustrating to read misleading headlines like that, because anti-vaxxers use them as ammo in their disinformation campaign.

Why would an anti-vaxxer use a headline of "Vaccination Offers Higher Protection than Previous COVID-19 Infection" as ammo?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Short version, SARS and MERs were way more deadly, so killed the host, which hurts transmission and virus survivability. The other key is that they were large droplet spread. We used those as our early basis for Covid-19, hence the early guidance on hand washing and 2 meters away etc. Also, masks are highly effective with large droplet spread. This is the article that really helped. Transmissibility and transmission of respiratory viruses | Nature Reviews Microbiology

A study recently found that SARS-Cov-2 appears in higher concentrations in smaller water droplets rather than larger ones (85% small, 15% large). Viral Load of SARS-CoV-2 in Respiratory Aerosols Emitted by COVID-19 Patients while Breathing, Talking, and Singing | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic (oup.com) The result being that while it certainly can be spread by droplets (somebody sneezes near you), that may not be the primary mode of transmission (although many older studies say it is). It's also why surfaces aren't significant (everyone now agrees). If this is correct, spread may be mostly by aerosols, which accumulate over time (for which cloth masks do less). It helps explain why people who work outside the house and live in smaller homes in dense areas have borne much of the pandemic. Air circulation, ventilation, filtration and of course, being outside, that does a lot. A study from Japan showed opening two windows once an hour dramatically reduced concentrations.

My suggestion would be to end all the expensive cleaning activity, invest that Covid relief money immediately into air quality improvement in schools and all public buildings, including mass transit. Aircraft are already fine, which is why spread there is minimal. Private businesses should focus on the same, and perhaps relief funds can be targeted to that end. Unlike all the money we've wasted, those changes would have lasting impact and would reduce flu cases as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom