COVID Tests Passed | The Boneyard

COVID Tests Passed

Reaction Score
Thank God!

But I can't believe this season is ever going to happen. One doctor interviewed on TV this morning said that only one state- Vermont- can safely open its schools.

Last week the NYT published a chart showing that over 6,500 students had come down with Covid-19 on universities, and that was during the summer.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank God!

But I can't believe this season is ever going to happen. One doctor interviewed on TV this morning said that only one state- Vermont- can safely open its schools.

Last week the NYT published a chart showing that over 6,500 students had come down with Covid-19 on universities, and that was during the summer.

Normally I'm a pretty optimistic fellow, and the 11 negative tests are a step in the right direction. But the tea leaves I'm reading keep saying the same thing. Based on the problems that Major League Baseball is currently having, trying to play WITHOUT a bubble, with various players, coaches and attendants testing positive on a continuing basis, leads me to believe it's not going to happen. I'm calling it right now. MLB WILL NOT finish their season. Too many players and coaches are testing positive. Too many games are being canceled or postponed. The ship is beginning to sink. I would be very surprised (but pleasantly) if the NCAA is able to have even a truncated season of 20-25 games including a 16 team field for the tournament.

If they are walking on thin ice at the end of the season, trying to have a normal a 64 team tournament may be a bridge too far. Too many teams traveling all over the country. All of the football programs are trying to limit the amount of travel each school does. A 16 or 32 team tournament I think may the best we can hope for.................unless they step outside the box, and have the regional round at two sites, one in the east, the other in the west. I don't know how they could accommodate fans that would want to attend these games. I think this year, the fans will have to sit this one out.

The less bodies inside the venues, the less chance of the virus being spread. You know a group of 5,000-6,000 people inside a 20,00 seat arena, a small number of them are positive. Query: would the players be allowed to make physical contact with family (none of whom have been recently tested) during the tournament?

Of course like the rest of the BY, I'm hoping for a full and complete WCBB season with all teams playing a full and complete season culminating with UConn winning their 12th national championship. There are so many dynamics that go into having and administering a season of play in any collegiate sport. Protocols must be established before play can begin.

Keep a close eye on college football. I think we can judge if basketball can pull it off by how well the football teams do. If they can operate for 11-12 weeks, so can WCBB.

All you need is for one player, coach or team manager to test positive. Then you have a decision to make. Do you quarantine just the person that tested positive, or the whole team? Do you cancel the next game (like MLB is doing)? Same thing for our opponents. What will the protocol be? The number one priority here has been, is and will always be the health and safety of the student-athletes. Their health and safety can never be compromised.

They still have 3 months to figure something out before play is scheduled to begin in early November. Right now, I'm shaking my head no. The rising numbers across the country in new positive cases being reported daily, and number of deaths keep rising. Instead of the numbers going down, they're going up. :(
Folks don't want to wear masks or practice social distancing. The spike in new positive cases prove that.
The CD keeps telling us that IF we did those two things, the numbers would go down. significantly.
I doubt things will be any better come the first of the year. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Normally I'm a pretty optimistic fellow, and the 11 negative tests are a step in the right direction. But the tea leaves I'm reading keep saying the same thing.

All you need is for one player, coach or team manager to test positive. Then you have a decision to make. Do you quarantine just the person that tested positive, or the whole team? Do you cancel the next game (like MLB is doing)? Same thing for our opponents. What will the protocol be? The number one priority here has been, is and will always be the health and safety of the student-athletes. Their health and safety can never be compromised.

They still have 3 months to figure something out before play is scheduled to begin in early November. Right now, I'm shaking my head no. The rising numbers across the country in new positive cases being reported daily, and number of deaths keep rising. Instead of the numbers going down, they're going up. :(
Folks don't want to wear masks or practice social distancing. The spike in new positive cases prove that.
The CD keeps telling us that IF we did those two things, the numbers would go down. significantly.

my daughter will be a freshman in college this fall and I can tell you that she knows of at least twelve high school classmates that have come down with COVID in the past ten days............all attended house parties in the Poconos or at the Jersey shore...........these kids just don't understand the severity of the situation as it relates to those they might infect..........also where were the parents? I simply don't see a way to avoid mass infections among college students over the next few months and sadly I expect to be carting her dorm stuff home well before Thanksgiving.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
my daughter will be a freshman in college this fall and I can tell you that she knows of at least twelve high school classmates that have come down with COVID in the past ten days............all attended house parties in the Poconos or at the Jersey shore...........these kids just don't understand the severity of the situation as it relates to those they might infect..........also where were the parents? I simply don't see a way to avoid mass infections among college students over the next few months and sadly I expect to be carting her dorm stuff home well before Thanksgiving.....

My point exactly. Many kids at that age don’t get it. Most of them are not afraid of the virus or catching it. To them, the virus is no big deal.

Reaction Score
And it's not just because kids are kids. Check out Major League Baseball:

"...coronavirus outbreak spread into another clubhouse on Friday when the St. Louis Cardinals’ game in Milwaukee was postponed after two Cardinals players tested positive for the virus...The Marlins have had 18 players and two staff members test positive this week (the most recent case was revealed on Friday); those cases have already upended baseball’s schedule."

How many positive tests among the Baylor WCBB team would it take to stop games in the league? Or among Notre Dame players to stop the ACC? How many would it take to motivate players, including stars, to "opt out" of the season, as the Mets' Yoenis Cespedes just did?

This is a war, and just as baseball was cancelled for years during WWII, this just can't happen.

Reaction Score
And the safer things appear, the more lackadaisical people become, especially young people:

GREENWICH — After the number of coronavirus cases took a big jump in Greenwich, First Selectman Fred Camillo said he hopes this is “not a reversal of the work we all have done to flatten the COVID-19 infection curve.”

"The new cases were especially diagnosed “among our younger residents,” he wrote. “I am disappointed at the resurgence of the coronavirus and obvious lax behavior of some residents, which now requires more strident actions on the part of our local government.”

The CIAC just postponed all fall sports for the state. How does the state's flagship university pretend it's different?

Reaction Score
And it's not just because kids are kids. Check out Major League Baseball:

"...coronavirus outbreak spread into another clubhouse on Friday when the St. Louis Cardinals’ game in Milwaukee was postponed after two Cardinals players tested positive for the virus...The Marlins have had 18 players and two staff members test positive this week (the most recent case was revealed on Friday); those cases have already upended baseball’s schedule."

How many positive tests among the Baylor WCBB team would it take to stop games in the league? Or among Notre Dame players to stop the ACC? How many would it take to motivate players, including stars, to "opt out" of the season, as the Mets' Yoenis Cespedes just did?

This is a war, and just as baseball was cancelled for years during WWII, this just can't happen.
Baseball was cancelled during WWII ???

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes and no. MLB was shut down, but WW II gave birth to the AAGPBL, keeping in mind that, “There’s no crying in baseball.” :rolleyes:

That right OD. No tears, no fears. :cool:

Reaction Score
While the number of deaths and hospitalizations in Maryland continues to decrease, the number of positive test results has been creeping back up. The urban counties are contemplating a resumption of shut downs that were in place in March through May. Seems like a lot of people were irresponsible over the 4th holidays.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Yes and no. MLB was shut down, but WW II gave birth to the AAGPBL, keeping in mind that, “There’s no crying in baseball.” :rolleyes:

A lot of MLB players went into the armed forces but MLB didn't shut down. For example, in 1944, the Cardinals beat the St. Louis Browns in the World Series after playing a full season.

Reaction Score

As others have noted, baseball was not down during the war. FDR insisted it continue. Ask Stan Musial who played during the war years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The ONLY way i see WCBB working is if they create a bubble for each conference. Just look at the mess in MLB. While I hope they figure out a way to make it work, I can't imagine teams having to travel on planes, going thru airports, etc. I could see numerous games needing to be cancelled due to Covid. But at least we will have time watching MLB, NCAA FB, etc. struggle thru.

If one team in a conference has a breakout, they have to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks, possibly wouldn't be able to field even a team of 5, and would either forfeit or cancel their games. It will completely throw off the scheduled games for the season.

I would almost say each conference would need to do it similar to the WNBA and NBA. Create a bubble for each conference. Spend 1 month there and play each conference opponent twice. Then move directly to the conference tourney. I'm not even sure the Big East could do all of it at Mohegan Sun - too many other people roaming around with the possibility of infecting people.

Reaction Score
As others have noted, baseball was not # 2 down during the war. FDR insisted it continue. Ask Stan Musial who played during the war years.

I stand corrected. However...

"More than 500 major league players swapped flannels for khakis during World War II, and such well-known players as Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams served their nation off the diamond. The minor leagues, formerly a veritable oasis of baseball talent, were seriously affected by the manpower shortage with 4,076 players seeing military service. On a daily basis, talent was drained from the game as promising young athletes who had spent summers developing their athletic skills were plucked from baseball diamonds all across the country and taught to fly planes, shoot weapons and maneuver tanks. No more than 12 minor leagues survived during the war years compared to 44 circuits that operated in 1940."

Reaction Score
and today I learned that my daughter's best friend's father just tested positive...........caught it from a coworker whose son was at a house party and caught it there............now we are all under quarantine for the next 14 days.....

Reaction Score
and today I learned that my daughter's best friend's father just tested positive...........caught it from a coworker whose son was at a house party and caught it there............now we are all under quarantine for the next 14 days.....

You're in our thoughts. Hang in there.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now that all of our girls have passed their initial Covid-19 test and their physicals, they can begin the team's re-entry program. All players are now in a modified quarantine and can participate in various team activities.

For now, that means players can do on-court and strength and conditioning work in small groups without supervision from the coaching staff, though the strength and conditioning staff is allowed to hold voluntary workouts.

If everything stays on track, the coaching staff can begin to work with the players on Tuesday. These activities are limited to eight hours a week — four of which can be skill instruction. Coaches aren’t required to give any days off.

To ensure the health and safety of the players and coaches, certain safety measures have been added. Before being allowed into the athletic facilities, players and staff must have their temperature checked and self-screen for symptoms.

Once inside, everyone will be expected to follow the necessary guidelines such as social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing.

All campus facilities will undergo regular uber cleaning and sanitation in areas such as weight rooms, locker rooms, and training rooms.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Normally I'm a pretty optimistic fellow, and the 11 negative tests are a step in the right direction. But the tea leaves I'm reading keep saying the same thing. Based on the problems that Major League Baseball is currently having, trying to play WITHOUT a bubble, with various players, coaches and attendants testing positive on a continuing basis, leads me to believe it's not going to happen. I'm calling it right now. MLB WILL NOT finish their season. Too many players and coaches are testing positive. Too many games are being canceled or postponed. The ship is beginning to sink. I would be very surprised (but pleasantly) if the NCAA is able to have even a truncated season of 20-25 games including a 16 team field for the tournament.

If they are walking on thin ice at the end of the season, trying to have a normal a 64 team tournament may be a bridge too far. Too many teams traveling all over the country. All of the football programs are trying to limit the amount of travel each school does. A 16 or 32 team tournament I think may the best we can hope for.................unless they step outside the box, and have the regional round at two sites, one in the east, the other in the west. I don't know how they could accommodate fans that would want to attend these games. I think this year, the fans will have to sit this one out.

The less bodies inside the venues, the less chance of the virus being spread. You know a group of 5,000-6,000 people inside a 20,00 seat arena, a small number of them are positive. Query: would the players be allowed to make physical contact with family (none of whom have been recently tested) during the tournament?

Of course like the rest of the BY, I'm hoping for a full and complete WCBB season with all teams playing a full and complete season culminating with UConn winning their 12th national championship. There are so many dynamics that go into having and administering a season of play in any collegiate sport. Protocols must be established before play can begin.

Keep a close eye on college football. I think we can judge if basketball can pull it off by how well the football teams do. If they can operate for 11-12 weeks, so can WCBB.

This is TODAY'S (Aug 3) NEWS. This is more of what I'm talking about.................................
Cards-Tigers postponed due to virus outbreak
The Cardinals' four-game series with the Tigers has been postponed after St. Louis players and staff experienced a coronavirus outbreak.

Carnac

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

A dream of years and years realized. Hope she holds on to it as boot camp gets underway.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good luck to you and the others in that loop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom