OT: - Covid-19 air travel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Covid-19 air travel

Reaction Score
Hi, the in-laws (mid 80s) are in San Diego & both want to come to East Coast (Boston airport) to visit us in New Hampshire & ride out Covid-19 with us, but they are afraid to get on regular airplane to travel. They don't want to catch Covid-19. I think planes filter the air, but it is the waiting in lines at the airport, getting onto & off the planes, etc that has most possibility of people/disease contact for them.
Is some kind of charter/private air flight an option? I don't know anything about that- has anyone ever travelled that way across country? What would approximate cost be for round trip (return flight several months apart)? Do you avoid the lines at check-in and security somehow? My in-laws are not poor, but if this costs $20,000 (wild guess) each round trip, they might have to ride out Covid in San Diego.
Took a flight from lga to Denver on Saturday. Here is my experience .

LaGuardia was terrific, social distance, plenty of space and it was my first time flying there after the return and beautiful.

The flight, southwest is fine. They say they have great filtration and I wore a N95. If they don’t have that. Some people had face shields and surgical masks.

Denver? It was weird to be honest. Too many people, too casual. That was white knuckle getting my bag. I would think that CT and or Boston would have a higher degree if distancing and compliance.

Reaction Score
I haven't had any issues with getting a room. I went back and forth by car to Indiana early July. Stayed in PA on the way down and OH on the way back. CT was really the only state that forbid people from staying in hotels for leisure during the lockdown. But they killed that during phase 2.

When my wife flew back from Indiana last Friday (actually from Nashville - they drove down) - they didn't do anything at the airport - no forms, no nothing (at EWR). But I was afraid that somehow that the CT Gov't would find out so I went online and filled out the quarantine form for her - didn't want to get fined.

I had to stay in NYC and NJ a couple of times - even back in May/June - no issues.

When I flew back home to Florida from Connecticut in June, I had to fill out the forms since I was coming from Connecticut. It was ironic to me since Connecticut is much more vigilant about making sure everybody wears masks and the Covid cases there are quite low compared to the huge spike in Florida.

Reaction Score
We just did a one way Rv rental because my wife was concerned about using public restrooms and staying in a hotel. No way of knowing who was in the room before you. It was actually a fun trip but wouldn’t recommend it for 80 yr olds traveling solo.

They are VERY hard to get now as everyone is using them. We booked in March and prices have doubled since then

The Jet Blue mint option sounds like the best air travel option imo. I took a 2.5 hr flight a few weeks ago and I felt fine with my mask on. My only concern about a flight from CA is they will prob use the restroom

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I know this is all about domestic travel, well our passports are useless at this point, but I just learned an interesting piece of information last night.

My father in law returned from Portugal last night, flew in to Logan, the place was empty only one other flight coming in from Santiago (I think DR but maybe Chile). On his way to Portugal a few weeks ago he was required to get a COVID test within 72 hours of flying in order to board the plane and had to present proof. Also required letters to travel within Portugal from one district to the other (similar to our states) and they had to be either essential work reasons or family reasons (in his case his mother passed away). He assumed the same would be the case on the way back so he got another COVID test prior to his flight to return to the US, but apparently we are not requiring them to enter our country. We need to get it together and make this a mandatory thing even for domestic travel to prevent the spread back to areas that seem to have it under control.

The airlines are very safe to travel on with the filtration system they have, but throw that out of you are bringing a plane full of possible carriers and just dropping them off wherever they want to go.

Reaction Score
I flew back and forth from Atlanta four times and I felt safe each way. Probably wouldn’t recommend it for the elderly.

side note: I was feeling home sick until I saw a UConn T-shirt in my parking garage in Decatur today. He was an alum from Southington. We represent everywhere.

Reaction Score
The planes are pretty safe as 50% of the air is scrubbed and filtered at all times. it is the airport that can be tricky.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My wife and I took the autotrain from FL to VA then drove to Kingston. The auto train was a nightmare only because we had booked a sleeper compartment with our own bathroom but had to delay 2 days because our apartment in Kingston had to be deconned and vacant for 24 hours. In the rebooking they put us in a sleeperette without is own bathroom and an upper and lower bed. Suffice to say getting in and out of that upper bunk in the middle of the night was enough of an athletic event for me. We are sticking to driving back, no airlines

Reaction Score
80 years old puts them in the bull's eye for Covid. And a cross country trip is likely to have unexpected circumstances. This looks like a better safe than sorry situation. Best to you and your parents whatever you decide. This jet charter company is in New Hampshire. Concord Private Jet Charter | evoJets
Just did it to see, and a San Diego to Manchester, NH, with a 2 month stay (Aug-Oct) is $9500, for 6 people.

Reaction Score
Flew to Mexico on Friday - through Houston. Flights were relatively full - but everyone behaved and masked up. Had my temperature taken multiple times in Cabo - even to go into a Walmart. They are taking it super serious down here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom