Coverage | The Boneyard

Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Caught most of the sports reports (3,4,8,6) tonight (Monday) since they are on at different times and found reports of UConn football (game Sat.), some high school, men's UConn Basketball but little or nothing on the Women's game., One wonders why not. Of course all the "reporters" are male so perhaps they just don't want to cover the women's game. ???

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I do find it interesting / sad, though, that the men's preseason game yesterday out here was front sports page headlines - something that a women's pre-season game will probably never be, and more coverage than most women's games, including regular season, get at all.

I'm going to credit the local newspaper in this college town (and Tucson is a college town, albeit a big one) for reporting volleyball, softball, women's basketball, soccer and the like, but they are not reported on the front page, nor in particularly long articles. And often, the article is "crafted" from a box score.

I would think that at UConn you probably are in the top 10 programs nationwide in terms of coverage in the local media.

Reaction Score
I do find it interesting / sad, though, that the men's preseason game yesterday out here was front sports page headlines - something that a women's pre-season game will probably never be, and more coverage than most women's games, including regular season, get at all.

I'm going to credit the local newspaper in this college town (and Tucson is a college town, albeit a big one) for reporting volleyball, softball, women's basketball, soccer and the like, but they are not reported on the front page, nor in particularly long articles. And often, the article is "crafted" from a box score.

I would think that at UConn you probably are in the top 10 programs nationwide in terms of coverage in the local media.
Top 1 or 2. 4th in attendance due to arena size. Possibly the local media coverage has to do with UCONN's absolute dominance of the sport.

I live up the road from you in Phoenix. We get NO coverage. I have my car radio preset to 4 local sports stations, and there is NEVER anything about WCBB. Sometimes the Mercury, but only if it's a paid ad.

Although Tempe is a big college town (?? 162,000 population buried in 3.5 million metro area), WCBB is way down the list. ASU has a decent program - Charli Turner-Thorne has taken them to the NCAAs 9 times during her tenure. They average 1800 attendance. So basically 2000 people out of 3.5 million care enough to go to a game, including students. I go to the annual Stanford game. To see Stanford, not ASU. I might go to the Cal game this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Although Tempe is a big college town (?? 162,000 population buried in 3.5 million metro area), WCBB is way down the list. ASU has a decent program - Charli Turner-Thorne has taken them to the NCAAs 9 times during her tenure. They average 1800 attendance. So basically 2000 people out of 3.5 million care enough to go to a game, including students. I go to the annual Stanford game. To see Stanford, not ASU. I might go to the Cal game this year.
The ASU program has been entertaining for a long time. Special ties to ASU for Rutgers - cancelling a game when one of ASU's players family member died at the tournament; in reverse, Charli and a large number of prof's from ASU taking out an ad in support of Rutgers in the Imus mess.

I don't personally care for CT-T's histrionics on the side line, but generally like the style her teams play.

Incidentally, our first Arizona visit was to see Rutgers play in ASU's tournament. Don't remember the year.

Reaction Score
The ASU program has been entertaining for a long time. Special ties to ASU for Rutgers - cancelling a game when one of ASU's players family member died at the tournament; in reverse, Charli and a large number of prof's from ASU taking out an ad in support of Rutgers in the Imus mess.

I don't personally care for CT-T's histrionics on the side line, but generally like the style her teams play.

Incidentally, our first Arizona visit was to see Rutgers play in ASU's tournament. Don't remember the year.
The only thing any of my AZ sports fan friends know about ASU WBB is that "Charli is hot". I think some of her pics on the ASU site are 10 years old tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom