Courtney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TroyHouse66

I'm reading some of the comments on CEk and her court appearance THESE DAYS, & think some folks are too quickly dismissing the element of time it takes to recover from her foot injury.
Yes, she IS NOW appearing to run... sort of flat-footed... somewhat slow and tentatively awkward since her return the last few weeks. Courtney appears reluctant to shoot (again the word "tentative"), even when open, and displaying none of the confidence needed by a great shooter. More game time on the court seems to be improving her getting in sync with team play, but her basics are still, visibly, behind the teams mid-season level.

Does anyone have high school era videos of her court movements for comparison?
Any BY students of kinesthesiology? Isn't the smoothest shooting motion generated, (literally) from the toes up? Is the residual pain or reluctance to shoot/move generated by her foot injury? When we talk about the troops returning from ACL and other major injuries, we speak about their dis-trust of themselves (for, perhaps, the first time in their athletic life), even after they have physically healed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Courtney is behind the curve becailuse of her injury, but I'm not worried. I still think she can be a lot like Mel Thomas.

Reaction Score
She'll be OK. Still coming back from the injury. Must be hard to start playing for the best team in WCBB even if she hadn't gotten hurt!

Saniya was trying to get her the ball the game before last which is why she got the two turnovers. Courtney was open in the corner if Chong could've gotten the pass to her on the second TO. (Still haven't watched the Temple game- I have it on DVR.)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As I've said, I agree with those who say that Courtney has about as much potential as Mel Thomas. However, think about where Mel Thomas as a freshman would be on the current team, or where Mel as a sophomore would be on next year's team. Somewhere near the end of the bench, unfortunately. Mel was in that post-Diana and mostly pre-Maya era of UConn WCBB that failed for 3 years to make the Final Four. In Mel's senior year, they did make the FF only to lose to Stanford in the semis by about 10 points, but Mel had to watch that game on crutches because of her mid-year injury (along with Kalana Greene).

Mel ended up making a contribution that greatly exceeded what would be expected based on her athletic skills, and greatly exceeding what any of the coaches expected after her freshman year. That was because of her persistence and hard work ("heart of a Husky", one might say), but it was also made possible because of the thin backcourt talent around her (except for Renee Montgomery). If she had Moriah, Kia Nurse, and Gabby Williams (who is really a guard, regardless of how she is being used this year) ahead of her, she would have a hard time getting 10 minutes per game.

Fortunately for Courtney, the talent coming in next year is in the front court, unless KLS gets used as a 2 guard (which is possible). UConn may actually be lacking backcourt depth for the next few years, so there is an outside chance that Courtney can "do a Mel" and get some serious playing time, especially if there are any injuries to those named above (or to Crystal Dangerfield when she replaces Moriah after next year). But it will be much harder for her than it was for Mel.

Reaction Score
As I've said, I agree with those who say that Courtney has about as much potential as Mel Thomas. However, think about where Mel Thomas as a freshman would be on the current team, or where Mel as a sophomore would be on next year's team. Somewhere near the end of the bench, unfortunately. Mel was in that post-Diana and mostly pre-Maya era of UConn WCBB that failed for 3 years to make the Final Four. In Mel's senior year, they did make the FF only to lose to Stanford in the semis by about 10 points, but Mel had to watch that game on crutches because of her mid-year injury (along with Kalana Greene).

Mel ended up making a contribution that greatly exceeded what would be expected based on her athletic skills, and greatly exceeding what any of the coaches expected after her freshman year. That was because of her persistence and hard work ("heart of a Husky", one might say), but it was also made possible because of the thin backcourt talent around her (except for Renee Montgomery). If she had Moriah, Kia Nurse, and Gabby Williams (who is really a guard, regardless of how she is being used this year) ahead of her, she would have a hard time getting 10 minutes per game.

Fortunately for Courtney, the talent coming in next year is in the front court, unless KLS gets used as a 2 guard (which is possible). UConn may actually be lacking backcourt depth for the next few years, so there is an outside chance that Courtney can "do a Mel" and get some serious playing time, especially if there are any injuries to those named above (or to Crystal Dangerfield when she replaces Moriah after next year). But it will be much harder for her than it was for Mel.

Really hope your correct on this because my sense is Courtney has wanted to be a Husky "forever", not just to suit up but to be a significant contributor. Judging by the rotation she'll get some significant minutes during conference schedule but those minutes will be after the outcome is a forgone conclusion and starters are enjoying the view from the bench. How much can we judge a player in those circumstances? Come postseason she'll be on the bench and not be in any sort of rotation. If she can "do a Mel", we'll get a glimpse of it next year. Here's hoping she can!!!

Reaction Score
Maria Conlon had limited athletic abilities, but played a key role in 2 UConn NCs. Hard work, hustle, self-discipline, team play and the ability to knock down 3s made Maria a major element in the DT-era championships. I see no reason CE can't do similarly.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maria Conlon had limited athletic abilities, but played a key role in 2 UConn NCs. Hard work, hustle, self-discipline, team play and the ability to knock down 3s made Maria a major element in the DT-era championships. I see no reason CE can't do similarly.
And, as with Mel, the reason was the limited backcourt depth around her due to Nicole Wolff's injuries. Maria would probably have spent 4 years on the bench if Nicole had been healthy.

This year and next, despite the departure of Sadie Edwards and the disappointment (so far) of Saniya Chong, the backcourt depth of the current Huskies will be better than that which existed during either Maria's or Mel's tenure. Which will make it harder for Courtney (barring injury to those above her in the rotation).

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation and conjecture in the thread for a FRESHMAN, who has logged less than 20 minutes of actual Game time and is coming off a significant injury that kept her from doing any BB related activity for 5 weeks. Why is it that every player on the roster has to be an AA from the time they step on campus. I remember Breanna Stewart's freshman year and the same speculation about her, there were comments about her lack of speed and athleticism and she got mush more PT than Courtney, how'd that turn out? Players develop at different rates, she's a FRESHMAN!!! Cheer for her, support her, she'll be fine and if she can't play at this level, I'm sure Geno and his staff will figure that out.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation and conjecture in the thread for a FRESHMAN, who has logged less than 20 minutes of actual Game time and is coming off a significant injury that kept her from doing any BB related activity for 5 weeks. Why is it that every player on the roster has to be an AA from the time they step on campus. I remember Breanna Stewart's freshman year and the same speculation about her, there were comments about her lack of speed and athleticism and she got mush more PT than Courtney, how'd that turn out? Players develop at different rates, she's a FRESHMAN!!! Cheer for her, support her, she'll be fine and if she can't play at this level, I'm sure Geno and his staff will figure that out.

Good post. It is clear to me that many posters just do not understand athletic development. What confounds me is that they seem equally unaware of what it is like to be a freshman teenager who was injured.

Reaction Score
While she is clearly behind in her progress, she needs time to heal physically and learn while actually playing. I'm pulling for this girl (I had the pleasure to meet her and her parents and they are great people)!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I agree about cheering and hoping for Ekmark's success. But Stewart's talent was readily noticeable both before she got to UConn and in her early stint there. She didn't really struggle until a few months in, and that puzzled everyone because her ability wasn't in question.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I understand anyone who opines that "We don't know yet, due to injury." What I guess I am not smart enough to grasp is the assumption, driven by skimpy evidence - at best, that she just won't be successful. Let's be patient and support this player who is working hard and who surely knows that she has catching up to do.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

That was a great analysis- IMO

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Nobody who is a real fan is not rooting for her- heck I never dreamed Kelly Farris would hold her starting position her freshman and sophomore years! What do I know! :)

Reaction Score
As we have already seen this year, she would not be getting the playing time she is getting if coach didn't think she could or would develop in the type of player he wants... some just need to relax and give her the time she is going to need to get there...

Reaction Score
I thought Courtney looked better today. She got to spots on time,she took her shots ingood rhythm and she was a bit tougher under the basket

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I thought Courtney looked better today. She got to spots on time,she took her shots ingood rhythm and she was a bit tougher under the basket
That's pretty generous. Zero for three from three, all clinkers. 2 for 16 on the season, 12.5%

Reaction Score
I'd been a little interested in Courtney's choice of UConn because I live neat Phoenix and had heard of her. She was extra-interesting because of her choice to be home-schooled in her senior year and to get special training from special trainers, etc. What is now interesting is that, even granted that she had that foot injury, she didn't really look like all that special training in her senior year of high school did much to prepare her for a UConn level of basketball. Anyway, I haven't seen much to impress so far, but like everyone here, I hope she has a really productive UConn career,

Reaction Score
Agree. Though she didn't hit her shots she had good movement and made some nice passes.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Rocky- that is a good analysis/ comparison. Unfortunately a guard like Maria could probably never play at this level at this time. And back then- 1 super star like DT was enough to carry a team. That's not the case in the women's game today. Courtney is relatively athletic. She's the 9th player now. We are losing 2 players next year. 4 highly athletic players are coming in. And Gabby could be transitioning to the outside from the 4 spot. Nurse, Mo Jeff, Soniya, Tuck & KLS are all proven capable 3 pt shooters. I just think CE is going to have a tough road to becoming a major contributor for us. A lot is just simple math for me. Not that we could have done anything differently, but I think we would have been in a much safer situation if we hadn't lost Sadie Edwards- we really only have 3 true guards in our back court. Courtney is more of a wing.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I understand anyone who opines that "We don't know yet, due to injury." What I guess I am not smart enough to grasp is the assumption, driven by skimpy evidence - at best, that she just won't be successful. Let's be patient and support this player who is working hard and who surely knows that she has catching up to do.
BigBird- it's not an assumption- it's an opinion based on watching her play and mathematics. Being the 9th player today. Losing 2 players this year. Getting 4 players, including 3 thorobreds from USA basketball who will or could compete for her position, as well as current members of the team. 95 % of the board assumed, or were of the opinion that Kiah Stokes would develop an outside shot and become an offensive threat this year. It was a hunch & a hope, and an opinion based on very little evidence from her prior play. Luckily we don't need her to be- because she still has difficulty finishing lay ups and put backs against weaker teams at home.

Reaction Score
Rocky- that is a good analysis/ comparison. Unfortunately a guard like Maria could probably never play at this level at this time. And back then- 1 super star like DT was enough to carry a team.
There is only one superstar like DT

Reaction Score
That's pretty generous. Zero for three from three, all clinkers. 2 for 16 on the season, 12.5%
Just know that Geno has talked on more than a couple occasions of her shooting ability. I don't think that those early numbers should be raising a lot of flags because once she gets her legs, I don't think you'll be seeing anything but a radical improvement. Dwelling on that is like criticizing someone who just had hip replacements for their inability to dunk a basketball. I would think you need synchronize your stroke and get the appropriate push off to find your rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom