Courtney Williams Is The Real Thing | The Boneyard

Courtney Williams Is The Real Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trust you me before it's all said & done Phoenix will regret letting Williams go.
I just wish Morgan Tuck can become more consistent as a rookie. I believe she will one day though. Tuck & Williams are two players who will grow into their own in due time. And will be two offensive powers for the Suns next year.
As for Mo & Stewie Pie. Well they were 1&2 coming out of high school & college. (AIN'T THAT SOMETHING)?
I mean what more did you expect from those two. It was only a matter of time. Mo will not be riding the bench for no one. No matter who comes back from injury. Ha haaaaa.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1462221419950.jpg
    FB_IMG_1462221419950.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 27

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Trust you me before it's all said & done Phoenix will regret letting Williams go.
I just wish Morgan Tuck can become more consistent as a rookie. I believe she will one day though. Tuck & Williams are two players who will grow into their own in due time. And will be two offensive powers for the Suns next year.
As for Mo & Stewie Pie. Well they were 1&2 coming out of high school & college. (AIN'T THAT SOMETHING)?
I mean what more did you expect from those two. It was only a matter of time. Mo will not be riding the bench for no one. No matter who comes back from injury. Ha haaaaa.

Great game by Courtney! So glad she got out of Phoenix. At Phoenix she appeared destined to go the way of Tiffany Bias (a second round pick three years ago) who rarely got any playing time. The Phoenix GM absolutely gushed over Courtney, saying how surprised he was that she was still available at #8 and how big a fan he was of hers. With all the problems Phoenix was having at the start of the season, you would have at least thought that they would have tried using their first-round pick to see if should could help , since nothing else was working. Connecticut is a much better place for her, she seems to have the coach's confidence and she is delivering, though it is only her second game with the Sun, I believe. Also, UConn fans know Courtney well, so she should be popular with the fans, along with Morgan and Kelly! Morgan appeared tense early in the game and missed a few free throws, but delivered some fine plays. It's nice to see Kelly getting more playing time as well. This team is loaded with talent and should have a bright future.

Reaction Score
I went to the first Phoenix- Minnesota game. Courtney sat on the bench most of the game. I was yelling at the coach "Put Courtney in the game!" (I was sitting right behind their bench).

She finally got in in the last couple of minutes but she looked lost out there.

Glad she may do better in Conn.

Reaction Score
I don't all these coaches in the WNBA can coach. Only a few can.

Many don't know how to handle a good rookie.

Reaction Score

Courtney Williams- 47 inch vertical leap.

Reaction Score
Courtney Williams- 47 inch vertical leap.
One of my favorite plays last season was Gabby going up for a rebound and Courtney going up from behind her and taking it away. She is a rebounding machine that can jump through the roof. I love that Connecticut got her so she has a chance to play.

Reaction Score
Not many can coach in the NBA, either.
I agree, and most times it's because the players won't let them. Ask George Karl what Sacramento was like with Cousins and Rondo. That's why they keep recycling the same guys from team to team. They might as well let the players interview the prospective coaches so they can decide which one they'll feel like playing for.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and I have to agree....Courtney Williams is the real deal. I can't believe so many fans left when they were down by 11 with 2 minutes to go...This team is sooo much faster now that Kelsey Bone is gone. And there is no moping!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Phoenix needs some young legs, especially on defense, as they are proving that they cannot stay in front of their defenders and basically any guard with any talent is getting the matador-style defense. I doubt that DT will play again for Phoenix again this season and I doubt that PT will either if DT doesn't. Phoenix is going to be left with no guards in the pipeline and will be wishing that they had Williams back on the roster.

I think Phoenix is a sinking ship and I hope BG gets out before it gets too bad. Brondello was very fortunate to have the team she had in 2014 but she is not proving to be much of a coach this season. Her offense is stale and her players can't play defense.

Reaction Score
47 inch vertical? I'm from Missouri...show me.

She is a great leaper - but nowhere close to 47 inches of course. One article claimed she was up to 35 inches but I'm a bit sceptical of that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

And so begins the Courtney Williams era in Connecticut. May she live long, prosper, and score a lot of points for the Sun. :D What ever success she has with the Sun, it will not be a surprise to those of us that watched her dice and slice the Huskies for the past four years. We know what she can do. Williams always took a "no fear" approach when playing UConn. She had some of her best games against the dogs.

Williams can flat out Ball!!!! All she needs is an opportunity to showcase her wares at this level. Self confidence is not a problem or an issue here. The ball and the courts are the same size here as in college.
Carnac predicts: Courtney will be OK. By the end of her 2nd year in the league (if not sooner), Williams will look like her old (USF) self. One day soon, her jersey will be the best selling team jersey at the arena novelty and gift kiosks.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Getting Courtney was a smart move by the Sun management. The girl can flat out play!

One of the reason she is so successful is her verticle leaping ability. Watching her last night, I would not be surprised if her leap was measured at 36" or more. As a guard with that type of leap, her shot is almost impossible to stop/ block. And yes, she can shoot the 3 ball as she did last night.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Getting Courtney was a smart move by the Sun management. The girl can flat out play!

One of the reason she is so successful is her verticle leaping ability. Watching her last night, I would not be surprised if her leap was measured at 36" or more. As a guard with that type of leap, her shot is almost impossible to stop/ block. And yes, she can shoot the 3 ball as she did last night.

Another thing huskeynut...........think back, do you ever remember Williams acing silly or giddy at any time she was on the floor during the past four years? She ALWAYS kept a straight, and very serious look on her face. Just like her teammate Morgan Tuck, she's all business all the time. The first time I saw her smile was at this past WNBA draft. I almost didn't recognize her. She was smiling and had her hair down. Courtney will be fine. She'll be one of the best free agent acquisitions the Sun have ever picked up. She's as glad to be out of Phoenix as Azura Stevens is to be gone from Duke.

shinobimono

Reaction Score
Phoenix needs some young legs, especially on defense, as they are proving that they cannot stay in front of their defenders and basically any guard with any talent is getting the matador-style defense. I doubt that DT will play again for Phoenix again this season and I doubt that PT will either if DT doesn't. Phoenix is going to be left with no guards in the pipeline and will be wishing that they had Williams back on the roster.

I think Phoenix is a sinking ship and I hope BG gets out before it gets too bad. Brondello was very fortunate to have the team she had in 2014 but she is not proving to be much of a coach this season. Her offense is stale and her players can't play defense.

Excellent post! I can see no rhyme or reason behind Phoenix's recent trades, looks more like musical chairs. Phoenix got the worst end of the Kelsey Bone trade (talk about bone-headed move), but spinmeister GM spins it like a brilliant move, after his spin about how lucky they were to get Courtney. Player development does not seem to be their forte. For all anyone knows, DT could sit out again next year. They just "re-signed" 25-year old Spanish guard Marta Xargay, their answer to the loss of Courtney, I guess. Before Jillian Alleyne's injury, IIRC, a number of mock drafts had her as a top 5 draft pick. A good draft by Phoenix, but now totally frittered away.

shinobimono

Reaction Score
and who's spot was she going to take, DT3's?

Are you serious? Totally missing the point, I think. You do know that DT3 sat out of last year's WNBA season, don't you? And that she is now 34, so the team needs to develop a young guard to replace her? Players are not usually drafted to immediately replace a star player, the idea is usually to bring them along gradually and develop them for the near-term.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maybe if she's wearing jetpacks! I had to look. The NFL combine record is 46 inches.

I read 47 inches in an article right after USF played Maryland so maybe it's not correct.

I do know that Courtney was driving to the basket a lot that game and getting near the hoop but the Maryland girls were too big for her and she was missing a lot.
Another Skywalker is Kambrough-Walker of Maryland. Go to see her play if you can. When she drives she's waist high above everyone elses head. It looks awesome.

BTW-David Thompson had a 48 inch vertical leap.

Football players don't work on vertical leaping like BB players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS