Courtney Ekmark - hit the ground running? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney Ekmark - hit the ground running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewie's signature looks like a scribble! I guess you can make out the B and the S, but that's it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Migawd! You mean there is something she can't do well? I am astonished!

Reaction Score
UCONN has had many poster children. To me, Kelly Faris was a poster child because she represented the teamwork Geno tries to instill in all his players. She was very unselfish, worked hard during practice, set an example for others to follow and gave 100% on the floor. Therefore, an excellent example for UCONN players to emulate. It seems that Courtney has some of these same characteristics and could easily be another Kelly Faris. JMHO. :)
I'm inclined to think that Kelly Faris couldn't be a poster child if she was preceded by others who did exactly the same thing! Didn't Maya Moore show herself to be unselfish, work hard during practice and set examples for others to follow while giving 100% effort always???? Wouldn't that have qualified her to be "the poster child"? Even before Maya, wasn't Sue Bird someone who was unselfish, worked hard during practice and set examples for other UConn players to emulate. Maybe she was the poster child! That actually sounds like the recruiting talk for Geno when he's at a recruits home. "If you want to come to UConn, this is what we expect of you". Beyond that, everyone knows that if you don't bust your butt in practice, you'll never see the court during a game so I don't get this Kelly Faris thing. It sounds like she's one of your favorites but the Poster Child thing doesn't really work for her since she was preceded by so many others who also had those characteristics! Wouldn't they have been the Poster Child?????

Reaction Score
Courtney is going to be the poster child of UConn WBB when all is said and done. Of that I am certain.
Alex, wise guy can be taken two ways. Are you being wise or do you think you are wise? There are NO poster children in the UCONN womans basketball program as they are a team first and foremost at all times. Will she be greater individually than a list a mile long of great players to come through the program remains to be seen.
Let's not put the maloik on her before she even arrives. Do remember many thought EDD would be the next holy grail of a player and she was gone in a ball bounce. No malice, just say'n...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For the younger folks:

Lucas was an All-American at Maryland in both basketball and tennis.

He was the NBA overall #1 pick in 1976.

He has coached in the NBA.

He knows his stuff.

awesome dance.gif

And he can dance too :D

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to think that Kelly Faris couldn't be a poster child if she was preceded by others who did exactly the same thing! Didn't Maya Moore show herself to be unselfish, work hard during practice and set examples for others to follow while giving 100% effort always???? Wouldn't that have qualified her to be "the poster child"? Even before Maya, wasn't Sue Bird someone who was unselfish, worked hard during practice and set examples for other UConn players to emulate. Maybe she was the poster child! That actually sounds like the recruiting talk for Geno when he's at a recruits home. "If you want to come to UConn, this is what we expect of you". Beyond that, everyone knows that if you don't bust your butt in practice, you'll never see the court during a game so I don't get this Kelly Faris thing. It sounds like she's one of your favorites but the Poster Child thing doesn't really work for her since she was preceded by so many others who also had those characteristics! Wouldn't they have been the Poster Child?????
If you read the first line of my post again you will see that I agree with you 100%. But, I don't think it is necessary to go all the way back to the first poster child and exclude the rest. I used Kelly because she was a recent player that most could remember and Geno has been quoted many times referring to Kelly's exemplary work ethic and unselfishness. And yes, she is one of my favorites because of all her traits I mentioned.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Alex means that Courtney, IHO, though she may not be the best to ever don the uniform, will most perfectly exemplify UConn's passion for excellence.
She sounds like a driven Kelly Farris like player with some real offensive gifts!
She is mature beyond her yrs. I think she will be at 16-20 minutes per game with Kiah Nurse very quickly!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
. You are making a declarative statement and punctuating it as if it's interrogative? ;)
Why can't we just
You are beginning a sentence with a period? ;):p
psconn- why can't you let Alex have his period, and be done with it??? :)

Reaction Score
I had the pleasure to sit next to the Ekmark family in a game and I told them that my expectation of her as a player is to be Kelly Farris with KML shooting touch or in other words, no pressure :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Alex, wise guy can be taken two ways. Are you being wise or do you think you are wise? There are NO poster children in the UCONN womans basketball program as they are a team first and foremost at all times. Will she be greater individually than a list a mile long of great players to come through the program remains to be seen.
Let's not put the maloik on her before she even arrives. Do remember many thought EDD would be the next holy grail of a player and she was gone in a ball bounce. No malice, just say'n...
EDD was over 5yrs ago... has it happened since. I understand we should be humble or relax but to let EDD's situation be the measuring stick for every recruit that verbals to UConn isnt fair to the guys that want to be here. So we should worry about Collier and Butler leaving after 48hrs as well, nah lets think positive and hope all works out for "our girls".

Reaction Score
Kinda like this one? :D

WBB-Poster-2.jpg
Yes. This is what I would have like to say if I had the vision/brain to envision it. One thing that is disturbing is #4- no one should be in the middle, no middle. Otherwise we are back to one being more poster then the many. Not the Uconn way- but changes happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kinda like this one? :D

WBB-Poster-2.jpg

Probably should not have gone to Uconn. Got your point after many reads. Won't say how many, best to keep the value of a Uconn degree competitive. But in all due respect to Uconn I came as a grad stu- damage was already done.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes. This is what I would have like to say if I had the vision/brain to envision it. One thing that is disturbing is #4- no one should be in the middle, no middle. Otherwise we are back to one being more poster then the many. Not the Uconn way- but changes happen.
There were 11, someone has to be in the middle. ;)

Reaction Score
What not to like about this kid! But stardom even before she dons the uniform- wow. She is a kid who have wanted to be here so badly that I am expecting her to hit the wall a little before her classmates- hopefully she will be able to deal with it over a short rather ten long period. But I too am confuse about the 'poster girl' writing. In fact, I don't want to touch that with a 10ft pole- it might explode.
He means another Kelly.

Reaction Score
UCONN has had many poster children. To me, Kelly Faris was a poster child because she represented the teamwork Geno tries to instill in all his players. She was very unselfish, worked hard during practice, set an example for others to follow and gave 100% on the floor. Therefore, an excellent example for UCONN players to emulate. It seems that Courtney has some of these same characteristics and could easily be another Kelly Faris. JMHO. :)
Geno said that no other player represents what UCONN values most more than Kelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom