Courtney Ekmark - hit the ground running? | The Boneyard

Courtney Ekmark - hit the ground running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to be very interested to hear how Courtney fares in initial and early practices - given the unique preparation she made over the past year. As I recall, she completed her few remaining credits in high school just after her junior year, home schooled as a senior, and had a full workout regimen including working with a retired NBA player on skills, playing on her brother's team in tournaments, etc. and a regular daily routine of shooting, skills development, etc . That is surely a different kind of preparation and if it produces a fast start, it might be the beginning of a new approach to arriving at college.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Courtney doesn't need to wait for graduation, so she could be on campus very early.

She worked with Frank Johnson and John Lucas, both of whom are among the best at what they do. Lucas was a world class baller and tennis player. Johnson was a solid NBA player.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Courtney is going to be the poster child of UConn WBB when all is said and done. Of that I am certain.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Alex means that Courtney, IHO, though she may not be the best to ever don the uniform, will most perfectly exemplify UConn's passion for excellence.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ochoopsfan said:
I am not sure what your post means?
She is a star in the making. She's coming into uconn fully understanding the value proposition of committing to play here, and she will realize that value prop to the fullest. She will be a great player with a great attitude. On top of that, she has a terrific, marketable look. It will be impossible not to love her. She will be wonderful for the program in every respect.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ochoopsfan said:
I am not sure what your post means?
. You are making a declarative statement and punctuating it as if it's interrogative? ;)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I'm going to be very interested to hear how Courtney fares in initial and early practices - given the unique preparation she made over the past year. As I recall, she completed her few remaining credits in high school just after her junior year, home schooled as a senior, and had a full workout regimen including working with a retired NBA player on skills, playing on her brother's team in tournaments, etc. and a regular daily routine of shooting, skills development, etc . That is surely a different kind of preparation and if it produces a fast start, it might be the beginning of a new approach to arriving at college.

I have never heard of an incoming player going to this extent to be ready for the next level. It is amazing and should pay back well for her. Do you think Courtney will EVER be in Geno's doghouse for not putting effort into practice? :confused:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She is a star in the making. She's coming into uconn fully understanding the value proposition of committing to play here, and she will realize that value prop to the fullest. She will be a great player with a great attitude. On top of that, she has a terrific, marketable look. It will be impossible not to love her. She will be wonderful for the program in every respect.

Thanks for your clarification.
When you look at the definition from Wiki and some examples I wasnt sure what you meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poster_child

Examples from Wiki

Reaction Score
John Lucas. That's impressive. He's highly recognized for his work with players doing skills development, right up to active NBA players. I know he's worked with women before as well. Courtney will be very rarely well-prepared.

This incoming class is the first one Moriah can be a leader to. I saw her mention in an interview that it's her nature to be a vocal leader, so I'm looking forward to how that goes. It should make for fun, interesting basketball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
John Lucas. That's impressive. He's highly recognized for his work with players doing skills development, right up to active NBA players. I know he's worked with women before as well. Courtney will be very rarely well-prepared.

This incoming class is the first one Moriah can be a leader to. I saw her mention in an interview that it's her nature to be a vocal leader, so I'm looking forward to how that goes. It should make for fun, interesting basketball.
Lucas works with Barbara Turner and Kelsey Bone

Reaction Score
What not to like about this kid! But stardom even before she dons the uniform- wow. She is a kid who have wanted to be here so badly that I am expecting her to hit the wall a little before her classmates- hopefully she will be able to deal with it over a short rather ten long period. But I too am confuse about the 'poster girl' writing. In fact, I don't want to touch that with a 10ft pole- it might explode.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Poster Child = example of "subject being discussed"

Geno = the new Poster Child of "great coaches in WCBB"

Poster Child doesnt alway mean rapist, bad person!

I dont understand how this is hard to figure out.

Reaction Score
UCONN has had many poster children. To me, Kelly Faris was a poster child because she represented the teamwork Geno tries to instill in all his players. She was very unselfish, worked hard during practice, set an example for others to follow and gave 100% on the floor. Therefore, an excellent example for UCONN players to emulate. It seems that Courtney has some of these same characteristics and could easily be another Kelly Faris. JMHO. :)

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thanks for your clarification.
When you look at the definition from Wiki and some examples I wasnt sure what you meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poster_child

Examples from Wiki

Not being argumentative here, but just as an addendum to your post:

Bobbi Campbell was a hero, one of the first to be public about his Kaposi Sarcoma diagnosis and actually participating in poster-based publicity about the so-called "gay cancer". It was almost 30 years ago that AIDS took his life at age 32. A damn shame to be sure, but people don't forget him.

As far as the question of poster children, I think you can be the prominent representative of something good or something bad. So your point about my ambiguity is fair. :)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not being argumentative here, but just as an addendum to your post:

Bobbi Campbell was a hero, one of the first to be public about his Kaposi Sarcoma diagnosis and actually participating in poster-based publicity about the so-called "gay cancer". It was almost 30 years ago that AIDS took his life at age 32. A damn shame to be sure, but people don't forget him.

As far as the question of poster children, I think you can be the prominent representative of something good or something bad. So your point about my ambiguity is fair. :)

I agree, it was just that your original post had no positive adjectives to lead me to what you meant. Thats why I wasnt sure.
Courtney is going to be the poster child of UConn WBB when all is said and done. Of that I am certain.

Reaction Score
Her junior year, i remember her ranked on Hoopgurlz as high as #7. She has also been called the best pure shooter in the class

Reaction Score
Poster Child = example of "subject being discussed"

Geno = the new Poster Child of "great coaches in WCBB"

Poster Child doesnt alway mean rapist, bad person!

I dont understand how this is hard to figure out.

My problem with this 'Poster' thing is that you are annointing a player even before she sets foot on Campus. But, what about the other 10+ players? Are they not poster children? You and the others are saying that she has more of the 'Uconnest' then the others. For me, the entire team is poster; she is simply staging herself more aggressively then the others. But there might be more to the annointment then you are all willing to make public. Would like to hear it and know why her more then KML, Chong, Stewart or those in her class. But all cannot be equally equal- so one has to be more poster then the rest!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For the younger folks:

Lucas was an All-American at Maryland in both basketball and tennis.

He was the NBA overall #1 pick in 1976.

He has coached in the NBA.

He knows his stuff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For me, the entire team is poster; But all cannot be equally equal- so one has to be more poster then the rest!
Kinda like this one? :D

WBB-Poster-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member