Court stormings | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Court stormings

Status
Not open for further replies.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Put me on record of Filipowski won't miss any playing time.
Uh ohhhh! I’m sure he’ll be fine.

Though Filipowski is still “a little bit sore,” he didn’t need to undergo any testing for structural damage on his left knee after the incident. His status for the Blue Devils’ game against Louisville on Wednesday, however, is still unknown.

Reaction Score

At about 21:54 of the video it’s explained pretty well here.

Reaction Score
Where's the "irony" in my quoting your exact words and characterizing them as "blatantly exaggerated," if you can't accurately claim that "totally safe" and "every risk" are measuring standards that are literally under consideration?

In that sense, you may have strengthened your metaphorical "lily," but you've remained silent on my criticism that you metaphorically "gilded" it. I asked why you did so, and asserted that it weakened rather than further strengthened your post.

Irrespective of whatever might be my opinion on the matter, I did not question your contention. You might be right; I might agree. Or, the opposite could be true as to both.

My interest & concentration was exclusively on what I considered unnecessary, inaccurate added elements, and how they reduced the believability and effectiveness of your argument.

To the extent that there may be instances when I stray from my primary question or argument, you may be right. I don't see where that applies in this case. Here, I quoted a single paragraph and referred to it as "this paragraph" in my discussion.
So I take it your specific offense or criticism is the 'old man' comment, validity of 'umpteenth' (I counter purposefully vague and non-specific) and the 'total' safety. I agree with you the entire sentence is hyperbole. Old man was purposefully insulting, no defense there I apologize. My defense for the concept as a whole is I believe it is a well established fact that though the crime rate is down, our tolerance for crime is down more and often incidents blow up and more safety measures results. I take this as a given, so felt I needed the strong adjectives to hammer that the commonplace precautionary calls for change were now being applied in this instance to an incident with an infinitesimally small # of injured parties. The tiny chances of potential injuries happen to befall a class the audience for court-storming reactions is inclined to over-protect.

Court storming isn't a right and is clearly a micro-aggression misdemeanor type crime. Yet it is fun and I am pissed if they legislate away my memory of celebrating UConn's first BE championship on MSG's court looking up at a screaming Johnny Gwynn hanging from the rim.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So I take it your specific offense or criticism is the 'old man' comment, validity of 'umpteenth' (I counter purposefully vague and non-specific) and the 'total' safety. I agree with you the entire sentence is hyperbole. Old man was purposefully insulting, no defense there I apologize. My defense for the concept as a whole is I believe it is a well established fact that though the crime rate is down, our tolerance for crime is down more and often incidents blow up and more safety measures results. I take this as a given, so felt I needed the strong adjectives to hammer that the commonplace precautionary calls for change were now being applied in this instance to an incident with an infinitesimally small # of injured parties. The tiny chances of potential injuries happen to befall a class the audience for court-storming reactions is inclined to over-protect.

Court storming isn't a right and is clearly a micro-aggression misdemeanor type crime. Yet it is fun and I am pissed if they legislate away my memory of celebrating UConn's first BE championship on MSG's court looking up at a screaming Johnny Gwynn hanging from the rim.
For the most part, I differentiate single and double quotation marks. I use the former to signal something that is figurative, non-precise, rhetorical, colloquial, and/or the like. I use the latter to show someone else's or my own words as they were written, with the anticipation or invitation that they be checked and/or verified, in order to aid toward clarity and/or accuracy.

In my first comment, I directly quoted the word "total," and in the second, I expanded it to "total safety." I argued against using the word "total" because is wasn't accurate. I did similarly toward your use of the word "every" within the phrase "every risk."

I've expressed no verifiable objection to either "old man" or "umpteenth, so in that sense, I can claim that your, "I take it..." interpretation is inapplicable. I still might or might not agree with any number or percentage of your expressed opinions, or share in your feelings similarly, and it might be in varying degrees wherever I do so, but none of that has been my purpose or focus here.

Note please, for one example, that I did not protest, "There is no such number as 'umpteenth'," even though that's technically true. I accepted it as a rhetorical expression.

I regard "total" and "every" differently, primarily because those exact terms may be invoked and argued in assessments or decisions made by rule-making or enforcement bodies in response to currently elevated consideration of what if anything to do about court-storming, and with under authority, and with what consequences, imagining that all would fall under application of risk-management principles as they perceivably apply to and affect many differently resourced & motivated stakeholders and constituencies in order to arrive at dispositions that will attempt govern the behaviors of imperfect beings...or something like that.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Sesame Street Popcorn GIF by Muppet Wiki

Reaction Score
For the most part, I differentiate single and double quotation marks. I use the former to signal something that is figurative, non-precise, rhetorical, colloquial, and/or the like. I use the latter to show someone else's or my own words as they were written, with the anticipation or invitation that they be checked and/or verified, in order to aid toward clarity and/or accuracy.

In my first comment, I directly quoted the word "total," and in the second, I expanded it to "total safety." I argued against using the word "total" because is wasn't accurate. I did similarly toward your use of the word "every" within the phrase "every risk."

I've expressed no verifiable objection to either "old man" or "umpteenth, so in that sense, I can claim that your, "I take it..." interpretation is inapplicable. I still might or might not agree with any number or percentage of your expressed opinions, or share in your feelings similarly, and it might be in varying degrees wherever I do so, but none of that has been my purpose or focus here.

Note please, for one example, that I did not protest, "There is no such number as 'umpteenth'," even though that's technically true. I accepted it as a rhetorical expression.

I regard "total" and "every" differently, primarily because those exact terms may be invoked and argued in assessments or decisions made by rule-making or enforcement bodies in response to currently elevated consideration of what if anything to do about court-storming, and with under authority, and with what consequences, imagining that all would fall under application of risk-management principles as they perceivably apply to and affect many differently resourced & motivated stakeholders and constituencies in order to arrive at dispositions that will attempt govern the behaviors of imperfect beings...or something like that.
Similarly, I used the single quotation marks to convey that my post and re-quoting though verbatim was neither originally nor upon repeat intended to be an exacting unassailable construct or contention. Namely, 'old man', 'umpteenth' and 'total' were hyperbolic statements where a number of different possibly more exact words could be substituted.

So left with "total safety" per your comments we agree that legislating such is impossible by definition. Whereas we cannot guarantee total safety and therefore, should not unnecessarily infringe or impede to achieve an impractical goal, the court stormers young and not as young can have their fun.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Similarly, I used the single quotation marks to convey that my post and re-quoting though verbatim was neither originally nor upon repeat intended to be an exacting unassailable construct or contention. Namely, 'old man', 'umpteenth' and 'total' were hyperbolic statements where a number of different possibly more exact words could be substituted.

So left with "total safety" per your comments we agree that legislating such is impossible by definition. Whereas we cannot guarantee total safety and therefore, should not unnecessarily infringe or impede to achieve an impractical goal, the court stormers young and not as young can have their fun.
You seem to have several times won your argument against those who are seeking "total safety" or "legislat[ing] away every risk." Now, you just have to locate your adversaries who are advocating for either or both of those outcomes. I wish you well if you pursue that path.

A final meditation on totality:

In August 2017, the eclipse was interesting, but I learned enough from others to get a sense that I had not at all experienced what was available. I was delighted to learn that the April 2024 eclipse path would be quite near to my sister's home north of Ithaca, NY, and marked my calendar. Now, I've relocated to Louisville, KY and am rather close to the path. My biggest questions are whether to drive 20-30 minutes west into the path, or 90-120 minutes to Bloomington or Indianapolis which will have more of a festival atmosphere and be within the center of the path, or travel sufficiently toward the path's center that I get a near-peak amount of time in the afternoon darkness and content myself with the natural phenomena with less interest in associated surrounding human drama.

Reaction Score
You seem to have several times won your argument against those who are seeking "total safety" or "legislat[ing] away every risk." Now, you just have to locate your adversaries who are advocating for either or both of those outcomes. I wish you well if you pursue that path.

In August 2017, the eclipse was interesting, but I learned enough from others to get a sense that I had not at all experienced what was available. I was delighted to learn that the April 2024 eclipse path would be quite near to my sister's home north of Ithaca, NY, and marked my calendar. Now, I've relocated to Louisville, KY and am rather close to the path. My biggest questions are whether to drive 20-30 minutes west into the path, or 90-120 minutes to Bloomington or Indianapolis which will have more of a festival atmosphere and be within the center of the path, or travel sufficiently toward the path's center that I get a near-peak amount of time in the afternoon darkness and content myself with the natural phenomena with less interest in associated surrounding human drama.
Pick the location with best chance of cloudless sky if possible. I was in Nashville in 2017 at the AAA stadium with thousands of people enjoying myself. Unfortunately a cloud covered the sun at the most inopportune time.

I will be traveling to Austin from Florida to watch the eclipse with a former dorm mate from Wright B. He is hosting a party and I hope to see the eclipse this time.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hans, go to Carbondale and party with some Salukis.

Reaction Score
The first rule of court storming, is no one should talk about court storming.

You lose, you get trucked.

NIL money buys a lot of Icy Hot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
On that date I’m going into my basement where there are no windows. At the time when the moon starts to obscure the sun at my latitude I’ll turn off the lights one by one leaving them all off for the duration of the
total eclipse. There will be an object I will tape to the ceiling with an infrared light that I will view with sunglasses. And then one by one I will turn each light back on until daylight is simulated.

When near total darkness occurs I will commune with all life forms mentally, sharing with them the awe of that event. No, it’s not the same as observing it naturally. But then again observing it naturally in the modern world is not as awe inspiring and wondrous as it was when we did not understand the motions of those two orbs relative to our world.

How fortunate it was to have been a cave human and have the chance to observe this event with their ignorance. That is until they went blind from it.

Can you imagine the incrimination those blind individuals faced as they explained what happened! They may have been more fortunate to have experienced something wondrous. But that experience had lasting physical and societal negative consequences.

At that moment in my basement, alone and in near total darkness, knowing my inability to put my mindset in the place of the caveman, I might reflect on this thread and derive a pleasurable degree of satisfaction that there is a constant in the history of humanity - DRAMA!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pick the location with best chance of cloudless sky if possible. I was in Nashville in 2017 at the AAA stadium with thousands of people enjoying myself. Unfortunately a cloud covered the sun at the most inopportune time.
Yes, this is essential, and will play a part in the final decision if skies will be variable north & west of me.

I can still do a good imitation of the gurgling, rumbling engine of a ferry boat fulfilling its obligation to transport 50 or so paying guests out into the wee hours open skies above Great South Bay (L.I., NY) on the cloud-covered December 1986 night that Halley's Comet passed overhead for its once-in-my-lifetime view.

Watery hot chocolate, crummy snacks, and complete disappointment for me, my wife, and a dozen or so friends. We'd even hired babysitter. But the sound profile has lasted a lifetime.

@QDOG5 - SIU, Carbondale, and the Salukis will always be fondly associated with Walt Frazier, but the 4-hour distance (for a 4-minute thrill) would stretch me even in my most adventurous days, and would probably need to be packaged with a trip to Cairo & Paducah just to say I'd traveled the Ohio River from beginning to end of I'm ever going to get there. But somehow, you sparked me to newly consider Columbus, IN, which 70 minutes away, and has one of the great concentrations of mid-20th Century modern architecture that I first checked out 30+ years ago, so thanks for that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Makanda IL, about 20mins south of Carbondale, the location where 2017 and 2024 eclipse paths cross
This freaks me out more than your Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"-like Cam-atar.

Either that, or it's like a photo of an old girlfriend's ex-husband in happier times bending over and eating a donut at the Four Corners Monument where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom