Court stormings | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Court stormings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They should be held back until the players leave the court. Like ten seconds after handshake line and if the players want to stay on after that, it's on them.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with court/field stormings - in theory. Problem is that idiots ruin it for everyone else. No need to run over ANYONE - friend/foe/fan/etc.

Reaction Score
First, the vast majority of the blame falls on Wake Forrest and their lack of security.

There are some things that can be done or implemented without going as far as arresting them or banning it all together.

You can let them on, but like Jay Bilas said, then keep them there. Instead of arresting them, take their names and info and ban them from purchasing tickets or receiving them in student lotteries. Easily, most of those storming the court are students of the home college or universities.
You can also empty the student sections for the next home game, or the next time the teams play again at that arena. Colleges would hate to see their student section empty and having it seen on tv especially.

It just isn't a danger to the players. Sooner or later a student up near the front is going to wipe out and get trampled.

Reaction Score
Bilas also made the point this morning that the media is to blame here too because they show it live, then replay it over and over and over for the next 24 hrs. They said that tv stations all refused to show streakers or people running on the field and magically, those instances happened FAR less. Maybe part of controlling or reducing court storming is the tv provider refusing to show it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First, the vast majority of the blame falls on Wake Forrest and their lack of security.

There are some things that can be done or implemented without going as far as arresting them or banning it all together.

You can let them on, but like Jay Bilas said, then keep them there. Instead of arresting them, take their names and info and ban them from purchasing tickets or receiving them in student lotteries. Easily, most of those storming the court are students of the home college or universities.
You can also empty the student sections for the next home game, or the next time the teams play again at that arena. Colleges would hate to see their student section empty and having it seen on tv especially.

It just isn't a danger to the players. Sooner or later a student up near the front is going to wipe out and get trampled.

Heard somewhere in an interview this morning that Wake's "security" personnel have trained and were prepared for a court storming.

Once again the human element is the weak spot in a process.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Some of y'all are exceptionally lame.
There's a large enough sample size to suggest that many of us would like our personal opinions to carry weight and influence beyond ourselves, including represention of differing/opposing points of view. Proxy competition.

Who would reasonably predict otherwise?

If you storm the court you can't bring your cell phone.
Make it a moving violation.
2 points on your license.
Insurance rate increase.
#distractedstorming

Reaction Score
The # of people who have had fun court storming (myself included v. Arizona early Gampel, MSG 1990 BE Tourney) far far outweighs the # of people hurt or the risk. Hundreds of thousands have likely enjoyed a good court storming vs a handful of minor injuries.

This is an old man take or umpteenth example of modern society sucking the joy out of things in the name of total safety. I can remember when football field storming led to some goal post injuries - so they made the goalposts sturdier. Everyone in fact needs to be sturdier (especially dookies) and let the kids be kids, we cannot legislate away every risk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's a large enough sample size to suggest that many of us would like our personal opinions to carry weight and influence beyond ourselves, including represention of differing/opposing points of view. Proxy competition.

Who would reasonably predict otherwise?

Make it a moving violation.
2 points on your license.
Insurance rate increase.
#distractedstorming

These kids don't even have licenses anymore. They Uber everywhere and don't worry about car payments, car insurance, or parking tickets on campus.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is an old man take or umpteenth example of modern society sucking the joy out of things in the name of total safety. I can remember when football field storming led to some goal post injuries - so they made the goalposts sturdier. Everyone in fact needs to be sturdier (especially dookies) and let the kids be kids, we cannot legislate away every risk.
If your argument is so strong, why does it need this second paragraph?

You seem to bounce back and forth between the "old man" take and hyperbolic claims implied by use of the words "total" and "every," when seeking to squash an argument that isn't widely being made, even if tilts in a direction you disfavor are in increasing evidence.

Blatant exaggeration, in other contexts, can generate clicks and increase ad revenue, but I doubt you are monetizing your opinion when you post here, and submit that the higher drama content needlessly weakens the credibility and strength of your argument.

Reaction Score
If your argument is so strong, why does it need this second paragraph?

You seem to bounce back and forth between the "old man" take and hyperbolic claims implied by use of the words "total" and "every," when seeking to squash an argument that isn't widely being made, even if tilts in a direction you disfavor are in increasing evidence.

Blatant exaggeration, in other contexts, can generate clicks and increase ad revenue, but I doubt you are monetizing your opinion when you post here, and submit that the higher drama content needlessly weakens the credibility and strength of your argument.
Is there any irony in the 3 paragraph critique of my two paragraphs?

I liked the goalpost - sturdier wordplay, so after I posted a belt, I threw in suspenders that matched.

I stand by the contention that you could count hundreds of thousands of court stormers juxtaposed with a handful of court storm victims we could easily recount in one paragraph.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not sure it ranks as an inalienable right but storming the court is pretty darn close to one , for a college kid when his/her average or bad team wins a game that they were not supposed to win. It would certainly take another memorable college experience away from these kids. Also it’s kind of hard to turn of the switch and a bit hypocritical for coaches who want it banned. Because they do want them to cheer and scream for two hours until they lose their voices. Then after acting like maniacs for two hours and probably helping the home team win the coaches want all that passion to be bottled up and then send them on their way quietly. It’s like a rubber band if you keep pulling, it will snap and I think if the students did not have this release then things will happen outside the arena that could be worse.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is there any irony in the 3 paragraph critique of my two paragraphs?
Where's the "irony" in my quoting your exact words and characterizing them as "blatantly exaggerated," if you can't accurately claim that "totally safe" and "every risk" are measuring standards that are literally under consideration?
I liked the goalpost - sturdier wordplay, so after I posted a belt, I threw in suspenders that matched.
In that sense, you may have strengthened your metaphorical "lily," but you've remained silent on my criticism that you metaphorically "gilded" it. I asked why you did so, and asserted that it weakened rather than further strengthened your post.
I stand by the contention that you could count hundreds of thousands of court stormers juxtaposed with a handful of court storm victims we could easily recount in one paragraph.
Irrespective of whatever might be my opinion on the matter, I did not question your contention. You might be right; I might agree. Or, the opposite could be true as to both.

My interest & concentration was exclusively on what I considered unnecessary, inaccurate added elements, and how they reduced the believability and effectiveness of your argument.

With all due respect Hans, this criteria would render many of your posted arguments as very flimsy :p
To the extent that there may be instances when I stray from my primary question or argument, you may be right. I don't see where that applies in this case. Here, I quoted a single paragraph and referred to it as "this paragraph" in my discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So apparently he doesn’t have a “sprained ankle” as Shreyer whined about. Or an ACL. Or any other serious injury. And as the replays showed he tried to trip the Wake fan.

So when does ESPN run the “oops, we overreacted” retraction????

Reaction Score
This deserves it's own thread instead of in the 6 page "Court stormings" thread where this has been discussed ad nauseam?

Reaction Score
This deserves it's own thread instead of in the 6 page "Court stormings" thread where this has been discussed ad nauseam?
The guy is an absolute . Most overrated player in country. Saying it was personal, ridiculous. Limping off like the big wimp he is. Only hope UConn gets horrible duke in our bracket as 3-4. Unfortunately they would need to make sweet 16 to see us, they will be gone by then.

Reaction Score
I guess this post isn't needed any more now that the thread has been merged into this thread. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom