Courant's Take On One Day Between Games | The Boneyard

Courant's Take On One Day Between Games

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn women to use game against South Carolina as preparation for NCAA Tournament - Hartford Courant

“You play these games because the more times you play well in these games, the more you feel when you get into March that you’ve kind of experienced a lot of different things,” coach Geno Auriemma said. “I was telling the players recently, when you see the bracket in the NCAA Tournament and you see 16 teams and there’s you and 15 others, you might see 10 different styles of basketball on all of those teams. So the more teams you can play during the season that exposes you to that, the more prepared you’re going to be for that come March.”

Geno scoffs at tired, etc. 'cuz after all the pros making millions and not attending school can do it, so suck it up buttercup. Some of you know how I feel about Geno's scheduling this year and his bold statement "and next year it will be tougher." Age doesn't improve any of our worst tendencies imo.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
This, of course, is exactly the standard Pac 12 schedule: games on Friday and Sunday most, if not all, weeks during conference play. And I do think it's an advantage come the tournament.

Reaction Score
This Uconn team have experienced it all. The losses, The coming from behind. The struggling to the win
This is an unusual year for Uconn. When they enter the tourney they shall know they can get behind and still win even against the Louisvilles and Baylors. Those bench players and Frosh have evolved into pretty good teammates. No they are not the Uconn kids you usually see this time of the year--in some ways they are better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This, of course, is exactly the standard Pac 12 schedule: games on Friday and Sunday most, if not all, weeks during conference play. And I do think it's an advantage come the tournament.

Has not helped in the past that I'm aware of.

Reaction Score
Tonight is the tipping point for UConn's season. I don't remember when they had a "must-win" game, but this appears to be one of them. They simply cannot afford to lose to a 12th ranked SC group at home. The psychological impact could be profound, and many would be convinced that the lean years have arrived. As cheerleaders, we gotta lean into this one.

Reaction Score
Tonight is the tipping point for UConn's season. I don't remember when they had a "must-win" game, but this appears to be one of them. They simply cannot afford to lose to a 12th ranked SC group at home. The psychological impact could be profound, and many would be convinced that the lean years have arrived. As cheerleaders, we gotta lean into this one.
I agree with Geno 100%. It’s a 60 minute basketball game, their not running a marathon. The harder the OOC schedule the better. The girls are young, they can handle it. Plus, a few regular season loses never hurt anyone. I particularly like that they had to play their toughest games on the road as well. Good hostile environments will prepare UConn well for the tournament. Unfortunately for UConn, the AAC scheduled will prepare UConn for nothing. The teams in the power conferences get to play tough games and tough competition all year long, which is also a major advantage for P5.

Reaction Score
I agree with Geno 100%. It’s a 60 minute basketball game, their not running a marathon. The harder the OOC schedule the better. The girls are young, they can handle it. Plus, a few regular season loses never hurt anyone. I particularly like that they had to play their toughest games on the road as well. Good hostile environments will prepare UConn well for the tournament. Unfortunately for UConn, the AAC scheduled will prepare UConn for nothing. The teams in the power conferences get to play tough games and tough competition all year long, which is also a major advantage for P5.

Sorry to contradict, but I think the games against ECU and Temple paved the way for this one. The Huskies got their mojo back, played cohesively, scored a lot, and had fun in those conference games. Whether that recovery was for real was demonstrated in the SC game. It was for real, and it all began against AAC opponents.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Pretty clever of Geno telling his team that the game is 60 minutes long. No wonder they play past the horn. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom