Courant Write up of todays exhibition | The Boneyard

Courant Write up of todays exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It came in a flash, just a flash. The new-lookUConn men's basketballteam spend much of Sunday afternoon feeling things out, working out kinks as coachKevin Ollietried different combinations.

But early in the second half, it came together, the defensive pressure, the rebounding and the running game. Division II New Haven made theHuskieswork for a win in the first exhibition game, and the Huskies, on the strength of 6-minute run, won 83-68 before 5,826 at the XL Center.

During that run of 6:09, the Huskies, ahead by only one with 13:49 to play, outscored the Chargers 25-5 to open a 21-point lead. Freshmen Alterique Gilbert, running the show, and Van Jackson, hitting three-pointers with precision, as was his reputation, broke the game open.

(Edit - Do not cut and paste articles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Um, can you not post the complete work of another writer. It's bad enough you didn't provide a link to the article beyond the embedded links you straight copied.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Um, can you not post the complete work of another writer. It's bad enough you didn't provide a link to the article beyond the embedded links you straight copied.

SO SORRY ALL - in the heading I said it came from The Courant
It was written by Dom Amore
Here's the link: UConn Men Hold Off New Haven In Preseason Opener

For crying out loud Bonz I was just passing something on I received as some added info to all BYers
I am not taking credit for anything
I am not a computer whiz - a 60 yo fan trying to share
Get your panties out of a bunch

TO MONITORS - 1000 I am sorrys

Reaction Score
Guys, ScottB is right. It's copyright infringement, which has been a long time Boneyard no-no. These reporters write these articles for clicks (and advertisement dollars). We seem to be good for an excerpt and a link to encourage a click. No biggie.

Reaction Score
Guys, ScottB is right. It's copyright infringement, which has been a long time Boneyard no-no. These reporters write these articles for clicks (and advertisement dollars). We seem to be good for an excerpt and a link to encourage a click. No biggie.

i think some of our board members could write more insightful pieces than the courant or other beatwriters.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I get it
I didn't know what to do - had my son educate me so now I know

Reaction Score
It came in a flash, just a flash. The new-lookUConn men's basketballteam spend much of Sunday afternoon feeling things out, working out kinks as coachKevin Ollietried different combinations.

But early in the second half, it came together, the defensive pressure, the rebounding and the running game. Division II New Haven made theHuskieswork for a win in the first exhibition game, and the Huskies, on the strength of 6-minute run, won 83-68 before 5,826 at the XL Center.

During that run of 6:09, the Huskies, ahead by only one with 13:49 to play, outscored the Chargers 25-5 to open a 21-point lead. Freshmen Alterique Gilbert, running the show, and Van Jackson, hitting three-pointers with precision, as was his reputation, broke the game open.

Jackson scored 15 points,Terry Larrier14,Kentan Facey13 andJalen Adams12 for the Huskies. After getting only four assists in the first half, they got X in the second half, indicative of the better rhythm and ball movement. Jackson was 4-for-6 on three-point attempts, the rest of the Huskies 0-for-9.

Amida Brimah, Kentan Facey and Rodney Purvis, with Jalen Adams and Terry Larrier, but as expected, substituted frequently to get a look at as many players, and combinations, as he could. All five of the freshmen class checked in for some first-half action.

But the Huskies couldn't get in a rhythm offensively. They shot 50 percent, but the fast break was more stop-and-go. New Haven, which likes to drive and kick it out, lived at the three-point line, hitting 7-for-19 at the half to stay close.

Danny Upchurch hit four threes, and scored 13 in the first half, as the Chargers were down only 36-35 at the break. Adams and Facey each had eight for UConn.

And it remained much the same early in the second half. UConn couldn't pull away. Upchurch hit a nice baseline back shot to make it a one-point game again, 46-45, with 14:28 left.

Adams made a steal, passed to Alterique Gilbert, who made a no-look pass underneath to Larrier, who scored and completed the three-point play to give the Huskies a 49-45 lead. Then Gilbert got a rebound and sent it on up to Larrier for a dunk, and things were starting to look as envisioned. After a defensive stop, Steven Enoch scored on a spin move, with a hook shot, and Vance Jackson completed a three-point play and the lead was 11. Jackson hit a three-pointer in transition on the next possession to make it 59-45.
Dragnet, just the facts ma'am.

Reaction Score
as a teacher, I can pretty much use whatever I want without having to deal with this. if its for educational purposes then it isn't infringement.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Man is KO under the weather? He seemed more serious than usual. Looks like he is all about business this year and problably feels this team has the talent to be very good this year and expects no less.

He has to try to get this team to come together and play smarter very quickly with the Maui tournament coming up. Clearly he was not happy with the defense and Upchurch going off on our guards.

Reaction Score
I mean I was golfing didn't see a thing and I realize Upchurch was probably a talented kid, but 33/5 with no TO's for a kid from UNH can't happen. I am sure Alterique and Jalen will now about this and in a pretty direct way during practice.

Guessing most of this game was less about the final score or W's L's than it was about seeing how people react to the lights. Heck you have 2 contributors in Larrier and Durham who haven't played live game basketball in 1 & 2 years respectively while many of the other projected players are seeing their first big crowd with the lights. All in all seeing them have a 25-5 run is a good ting because they turned it on when they had to. Kenna sounded active which is good to hear while AB sounded the same per se. Not his game as KO said but by now he should be able to be effective enough to stay in the game vs UNH.

As AfgHusky15 noted in his nice summary it is very alarming to hear of Jalen coming off the court pouting and not going down the line to acknowledge his teammates as everyone does. We need a much more mature JA and while this is one incident it's a telling one to me. Need him all in!

Reaction Score
There were so many open 3's taken by UNH yesterday with no defender even in the time zone. That's one of the the teaching moments KO will drill in. Upchurch can flat out play, could have used his skills. Re: the lights, AB seems bothered by them because he doesn't take his time on offensive moves with a big height advantage like Facey did. I actually think KO sent him a message which was if he doesn't play physical and strong he sits the bench because fouls were not an issue yesterday and of course he wanted the new guys to get floortime.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
as a teacher, I can pretty much use whatever I want without having to deal with this. if its for educational purposes then it isn't infringement.

I am sure the lawyers for the publishers of your textbooks would strongly disagree.

The point here is that a lot of work and time goes into gathering the information to write these articles beyond typing the recap. They get paid for that. Their employers need revenure to pay them to do that. That revenue comes from clicking the link.

I saw the game I can write a recap, but KO didn't respond to any of the questions that we collectively asked in out living rooms. The players neither.

Reaction Score

You can illegally send classified emails and run for president, but you can't copy and paste blurbs from articles onto the boneyard. Seems fair.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
What could be more educational than the Boneyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom