Courant UConn Position Group Reviews | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courant UConn Position Group Reviews

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If our key players stick with the team it could be a breakout season next year. I really wish we had one more year in the AAC as I think we would be in the running for a division title. The powers that be paid an extra 7 million to take that opportunity away.
AAC was death by 1000 cuts. It was time. As has been written about ad nauseum, the move to the NBE is a bump of a few million to the bottom line. That @ $1M of that $7M gets paid by the AAC the rest gets paid over 6 years, and still results with UConn making more money than if it stayed. Tough to not to do.

Scheduling is going to the difference as to whether this moved killed football. We'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
AAC was death by 1000 cuts.

I know that most fans believe this, but from my point of view it was death by three cuts: Ollie, PP, Diaco and yes the garbage contract with ESPN was the 4th cut. I still would have preferred AAC football in 2020 given the extra cost of an early exit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s hard to argue with the BE move. In addition to pumping up home attendance in BBall, it’s also likely in football as we begin to win again and create some interesting schedules. How many visitor’s fans showed up at our home AAC bball and football games? Not many. We’ll begin to see a greater visitor presence now. There’s no disputing that fuller arenas and stadiums are great for atmosphere, not to mention the coffers.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sorry, that wasn't clear. $11M of the $17M combined exit fee will be paid by withheld AAC distributions. That means the full distribution fee, plus $1M of the $7M early exit fee, with the remaining $6M paid by UConn over 6 years.
I know that most fans believe this, but from my point of view it was death by three cuts: Ollie, PP, Diaco and yes the garbage contract with ESPN was the 4th cut. I still would have preferred AAC football in 2020 given the extra cost of an early exit.
This wasn't a practical option. The only alternative was to keep all sports in the AAC for 27 months. That would mean an additional $2M in travel costs, plus UConn paying for game production estimated at $500K to $1M, plus whatever the cost was for the infrastructure to be able to self-produce games, call it an additional $500K to $1M though it wouldn;t surprise me if it were more. The out of pocket "cost of staying" is anywhere from $3M-$4M. Thus the net cost to leave early is @$3M. (Practically speaking that net amount should be further reduced by time value. The cost to stay had to be paid in 2020 while the cost of leaving early is paid over 6 years.)

The $7M isn't a bad deal, particularly when you look at on a net basis. It gets better when you add in fan excitement leading to greater attendance and more merchandise purchases (w/o the AAC logo).

JMHO.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how many teams can stop a run first offense. Not many teams are built to do that these days.

Reaction Score

The problem was that you were one of the few who found matchups with those schools interesting. Winning cures a lot of things, but the rent (or hcc/gampel) would never fill to see ANY of the conf opponents, even if we were 8-3 and playing for a bowl game.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how many teams can stop a run first offense. Not many teams are built to do that these days.

Most of the AAC stuffed Navy last season and they were 5th in rushing. UConn was 51st and avg 198 yds/game. Not sure they can top that this season as Pindell had a lot of good runs and accounted for half the rushing yards.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most of the AAC stuffed Navy last season and they were 5th in rushing. UConn was 51st and avg 198 yds/game. Not sure they can top that this season as Pindell had a lot of good runs and accounted for half the rushing yards.

Literally everyone can stop the run when they know its coming.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think we are going see some deep strikes to Ardell Brown to help keep teams honest and not loading up the box. That will help.

Reaction Score
I doubt that UConn will run the Navy offense. UConn's OL will be better than Navy's last year to start with.

Reaction Score
Eddie Hahn went from starting last year to playing with the third string? Pretty interesting.

I believe we are getting to the point where if you are good enough you will play (another reason to be optimistic). Last year guys had to play whether they were ready or not. Hahn is a good athlete who is just learning a new position that requires a change in body type. It takes time, if it happens at all. In the meantime, I think he will be a big contributor on special teams and situational alignments.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Well, bringing in a grad student, I figured he was it. No confidence in the newbie RS frosh.
Today’s Courant says otherwise. Young is 3rd on the depth chart. Well, with kickers it is fluid. It could change at any time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom